Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Explain!

Poll: Do you find this thread helpful in your situation?

Yes
30 71.4%
No
3 7.1%
Does not apply to me, but interesting
7 16.7%
Applies to me, but in a different way. (If checked, please post your story)
2 4.8%
Total number of voters: 4 ( FrankN, mocapino, Egghead, Finance Globe )
Only registered users can participate to this poll

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Reality, how long have you had the card for? Is it your oldest credit card? Once the recession is over, AMEX will be begging for customers to use their card or even apply for their card. Most people are not going to because they will be worried about the practices that AMEX is currently conducting and it's not going to look good for them.
15 years 5 months ago #541

Replied by reality on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

hjm,

I agree with you and am convinced you did the right thing. I regret ever taking the card in the first place. I'm guessing American Express is going to come out just fine in this endeavor. They lose customers that they don't cater to anyway and they've collected a few million in annual fees.
15 years 5 months ago #542

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

This probably isn't funny, but American Express has that friendly little piano jingle when you log into your account, LOL they should probably do the Jaws theme instead or something equally sinister.
15 years 5 months ago #543

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

With a 3 year history and many new accounts, I can't afford to close my Amex account. It will make my score go way down.

Yeah but if they lower your credit line down to be at or below your balance that could hurt even more. Closing the account would be a hit on your score, but it would recover in a year or two. Almost worth it to prove a point to them that even the little guy won't be pushed around anymore.
15 years 5 months ago #544

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Well, my credit history is only a year and a half years old and I closed my AMEX account because it wasn't my oldest account.
15 years 5 months ago #545

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

With a 3 year history and many new accounts, I can't afford to close my Amex account. It will make my score go way down.
15 years 5 months ago #546

Replied by reality on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

I'm guessing that all of the folks that they issued a low limit credit card to are going to see a CLD. It's depressing, but definitely not worth holding on to. I refuse to pay an annual fee for $500 worth of credit. It's a new and scary time now. I'm not even sure I can blame them.
15 years 5 months ago #547

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: CLD from American Express

Sorry to hear about your CLD. I closed my AMEX Delta Skymiles account due to a CLD from $1k to $500, just like yours. However, I did not owe them anything at the time. The reason why I closed the account is because I was afraid of them closing the account first and that wouldn't look good on my report.
15 years 5 months ago #548

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: CLD from American Express

Wow, I opened up my e-mail today and found an "account alert" from American Express. I've had the card for a year, always paid either in full or 70% over the minimum payment. Granted, I'm rebuilding my credit and only had a credit line of $1000.00. Today I found out that they reduced my credit to $500.00. Presently I owe them 79.00. I'm going to close the account.

Anyone else have a CLD?

I just opened my Amex Blue in September. I log into my account every day to be sure that my credit line has not changed. So far it hasn't. I carry a small balance on it because I got 0% APR for 15 months. But I am afraid of this happening to me. If they do, I will transfer the balance and closed the account.

Sorry this happened to you. They are really struggling right now and cutting back on a lot of people.
15 years 5 months ago #549

Replied by reality on topic CLD from American Express

Wow, I opened up my e-mail today and found an "account alert" from American Express. I've had the card for a year, always paid either in full or 70% over the minimum payment. Granted, I'm rebuilding my credit and only had a credit line of $1000.00. Today I found out that they reduced my credit to $500.00. Presently I owe them 79.00. I'm going to close the account.

Anyone else have a CLD?
15 years 5 months ago #550

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

I have an Amex Clear and they gave me an inital limit of $2,000 (approved in August of '07). Less than a year later, they cut my limit to $500. That is a toy limit. They didn't like how I was carrying a balance on my Discover More card (it was my newest card at the time) and my Amazon.com card. They also didn't like the way my score was going up and down. Well, my credit history is only 3 years old and things seem to count more when it is that thin. Amex can be used for small purchases during the month to keep them somewhat happy because they like to see usage.
15 years 5 months ago #551
  • Meya
  • Meya's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

I think they are mad because they can't make any money off of you. But still, that is no reason why they should lower or close anyone's cc. You are right, this is a lame excuse.:upset:
15 years 5 months ago #552

Wow, what a lame excuse. I feel you Eugene, just hang-in there and keep it for history.
15 years 5 months ago #553

Replied by eugene66 on topic Re: gemb has reduced my credit card limit

I got the letter today .....the reason for the drop was not because of my credit.....not because of my utilization........but because they claim that i do not use the card enough essentially (i charge at least 200 a month and pif):upset:. I was cooled off at first but now the words closed by consumer is coming to all of my gemb cards.
15 years 5 months ago #554

Replied by pamela2 on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Hi everyone well Dillards cld my account went from 350 (not alot i know) to 190 and never late and just used the card last month.
15 years 5 months ago #555