Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Explain!

Poll: Do you find this thread helpful in your situation?

Yes
30 71.4%
No
3 7.1%
Does not apply to me, but interesting
7 16.7%
Applies to me, but in a different way. (If checked, please post your story)
2 4.8%
Total number of voters: 4 ( FrankN, mocapino, Egghead, Finance Globe )
Only registered users can participate to this poll

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

RivasGlo, I think you breath easily for right now because I have not heard of any CLD's from HSBC.

Jay1 had a CLD on his HSBC Discover. But yes, this is the first I have heard about this.
15 years 4 months ago #511

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

RivasGlo, I think you breath easily for right now because I have not heard of any CLD's from HSBC.
15 years 4 months ago #512

Replied by RivasGlo on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

I also feel that they are targeting Wal-mart...

I wanted to order something from Sephora and use my JCP Card to show some usage... But im scared that any type of activity will cause a CLD. I just went from $300 to $1500 and I dont want to loose it :scared:

OH NO! I also have that HSBC Direct Rewards Discover!

I just checked it and im still at my stupid CL of $900, APR 18.99%! I have really high utilization and I think imma go ahead and do a balance xfer to my Capital One Card. I dont want anymore CLD! I was so angry when they reduced my Wal-mart. Oh well its the bank protecting themselves, its okay though, now I dislike you GEMB (notice I dont hate them yet, bcuz I still got my JCP!) :fun:
15 years 4 months ago #513

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

My HSBC Discover sent me a letter CLD from $1,000.00 to $300.00 based on new accounts opened. Chevron and Dillards $300.00 CL each. My usage is high on the Direct Rewards Discover about 50% but always way ahead of time on payments, I never saw it coming.

Chevron & Dillard's-both GEMB. But your HSBC Discover was CLD? That bites, because HSCB is stingy as it is with CLI. Oh well, maybe you can get a real Discover Card in a year and you can ditch that fake one.
15 years 4 months ago #514

Im just wondering if GEMB is getting with the retailers and giving them options on how to reduce risk. Does it involve typical scores of cardholders????? The demographics of shoppers the retailer caters to????
I mean this is the same company that will give you $400 CL Old Navy CC but only give you a $150 CL Dillards CC, if you gt my drift.

Good question. I would think in this environment (and possibly the worst Holiday sales season in years) that they would want their bank to do all they can to approve sales. 10 years ago most retailers had their own banks. I believe Nordstrom and Target are the only ones left who own their own banks. You might be on to something about the Old Navy/Dillard's thing.
15 years 4 months ago #515

Replied by cireone on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Im just wondering if GEMB is getting with the retailers and giving them options on how to reduce risk. Does it involve typical scores of cardholders????? The demographics of shoppers the retailer caters to????
I mean this is the same company that will give you $400 CL Old Navy CC but only give you a $150 CL Dillards CC, if you gt my drift.
15 years 4 months ago #516

Replied by Jay1 on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

My HSBC Discover sent me a letter CLD from $1,000.00 to $300.00 based on new accounts opened. Chevron and Dillards $300.00 CL each. My usage is high on the Direct Rewards Discover about 50% but always way ahead of time on payments, I never saw it coming.
15 years 4 months ago #517

Is it me or does other feel that GEMB is targeting their Walmart accounts?????
Ive read other posts here about their Walmart accounts getting a CLD. Well, it ws funny that I received two account alerts in my email. They stated that I was close to a certain balance. The two emails had different amounts. I was puzzled by it. So something told me to check my account online. I had initial credit limit of $300. Yes, I have been using it and have a balance. Well, to make it short my CL went from $300 to $240. I had a $60 CLD. So that brouht my available credit down to $14. Im not shocked due to th posts I read here. Thanks for this thread that gave me insight into what would come. Whats funny is that my other GEMB are still safe but Im keeping my fingers crossed they wont change. I will check them and keep all updated.

You are right, it does seem to be the Wal-Mart cards. Does anybody know if the Wal-Mart Discover's and Sam's are being CLD? Wal-Mart cards are being CLD and the JC Penney's are getting higher APRs. The retailers might want to shop around for different banks if this continues because GEMB is stealing sales away from the retailers-and right before the Holiday's to boot!
15 years 4 months ago #518

Replied by cireone on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Is it me or does other feel that GEMB is targeting their Walmart accounts?????
Ive read other posts here about their Walmart accounts getting a CLD. Well, it ws funny that I received two account alerts in my email. They stated that I was close to a certain balance. The two emails had different amounts. I was puzzled by it. So something told me to check my account online. I had initial credit limit of $300. Yes, I have been using it and have a balance. Well, to make it short my CL went from $300 to $240. I had a $60 CLD. So that brouht my available credit down to $14. Im not shocked due to th posts I read here. Thanks for this thread that gave me insight into what would come. Whats funny is that my other GEMB are still safe but Im keeping my fingers crossed they wont change. I will check them and keep all updated.
15 years 4 months ago #519

$18 are they nuts? I'm hearing about gemb cld-ing a lot of accounts. Considering they are one of the largest store card suppliers, they are shooting themselves in the foot.

You all have to remember, the economy is really bad right now. A lot of these banks are struggling. In order to lend us money, they have to borrow money; and the banks just aren't lending each other money right now. I am not saying that this is right and yes, they are ticking a lot of people off, but these banks are almost being forced to because they don't have the money to lend. :dumbfounded:
15 years 4 months ago #520

Replied by eugene66 on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

American Express uses what is called a FR on people who carries their card for whatever reason and in the process either lower the credit limit or closes the account .This has been popular subject for cardholders for years even before the economy spiraled down like it is and now they are really scrutinizing people's accounts.I head they have excellent customer service in all but when they shut you down, they shut you down period.
15 years 4 months ago #521

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

The one that really is commiting business suicide is Amex. They are CLD'ing really good customers or cancelling their accounts.
15 years 4 months ago #522

Replied by eugene66 on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

$18 are they nuts? I'm hearing about gemb cld-ing a lot of accounts. Considering they are one of the largest store card suppliers, they are shooting themselves in the foot.

I asked some of my friends do they checked their accounts frequently for changes and with no surprise to me 6 out of 10 had accounts that were cld's and did not know about it until i mention it to them because in the medical field you have to have top notch credit to stay employed.My sister cld i found out was because she told me she have not use the card in a few years and laughed at me because i was more upset at it than she was:laugh:
15 years 4 months ago #523

Replied by MsKiwi on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Well, after analyzing(about 10 sec) my cards with gemb(3) with their low limits and mission to cld good paying accounts, i decided to close all three with no looking back.Yesterday i went to JCPENNY'S with my sister to buy items for her house and her kids.the items she bought amounted to a little over 500 dollars but at the checkout she was declined.to make a long story short,gemb lowered her credit limit from 3000(with no balance) to 18 dollars

15 years 4 months ago #524

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

What would really be detrimental to my credit report is closing my Sears Mastercard because it is my oldest account.
15 years 4 months ago #525