AMEX Cards

Replied by KMoney on topic Re: AMEX Cards

15 years 10 months ago #226
  • hjm331
  • hjm331's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: AMEX Cards

Shark6, the Gold and Green cards aren't credit cards, they are charge cards meaning they don't have a true limit. There is nothing for them to decrease.
15 years 10 months ago #227

Replied by KMoney on topic Re: AMEX Cards

AMEX is being really shady right now. I wonder when they are going to get their act straight. It might not be for awhile, unfortunately.

Before I was saying I want an AMEX card but too many people are complaining about the decreases, so now I don't want one anymore. And how in the world are you going to decrease someone's CL while they are on vacation, not that is just too da#@ shady
15 years 10 months ago #228

Replied by shark6 on topic Re: AMEX Cards

I agree with you that the AF for the AMex Plat is very high. However, I think that if you travel even if it is only 3xs per year, you will more than make up for the fees.

My hub and I started off as no money,no credit having college students. We built ourselves up but had for many years stay in low budget hotels while travelling. I prefer to travel and stay at more moderate to upscal hotes but off course with a deal. I'm also a bit of a neat freak and neurotic about germs etc.

I have issues with hotel carpets, bathrooms etc. With the Plat, the upgrade features and being able to stay in a room until 4pm along with the companion free ticket did it for me. Staying with children and traveling throughout the year, made the card feasible for us notwithstanding the AF.

Now, if after a year, we don't realize the benefits, which I doubt, we will cancel.
However, we have had unbelievable service from Amex. One time when we were living in another state, they called me to ask if we had charged some $150 sneakers and other items on the card which looked to be outside our spending pattern.

I assured them that it was impossible that it was us because my hub. is very thrifty and buys his tennis from Marshalls/TJ Maxx for not over $35!

They immediately cancelled the card, and by 9am the next day, had Fedex a new one. That is Service, my friend.
15 years 10 months ago #229

Replied by cireone on topic Re: AMEX Cards

The Platinum AmEx has a steep annual fee. In fact AmEx and Delta have partnered again recently to offer the Delta Skymiles Reserve, which essentially is a Platinum card co-branded by Delta with a few differences in perks. I was invited to upgrade but thought $450 AF was too high and my chances for getting the upgrade may have been slim to none. I just deleted the email.
15 years 10 months ago #230

Replied by shark6 on topic Re: AMEX Cards

I'm sorry to hear this. I've been reading about the Amex 'shady' practices here. However, truth be told, we have had a great experience with Amex. I've been an AU on spouse's Green card for over 7 years and I am also AU on his Gold Amex for the last 6mths.

He has the Green, Gold, Clear and now Platinum. He has never had a CLD (knock on wood) and they seem to like to offer him upgrades even though he takes forever to respond.

He had a $9k limit on the Clear and I made his click the love button for the first time ever this week. We asked for $3500 CLI and he got it. His CL is now $12,500. We will leave it at that.

I begged him to accept the Platinum even though the AF is $450 because of the travel benefits. I plan on doing some travelling in this year and the next and I hate shoddy customer service. i also detest the hotel practice of having check out at 11am which isn't even 24hrs. With thePC, check out is guranteed at 4pm.

My daughter has the Amex Green and Delta SKymiles $1200. Her Fico at the time was around 690. Now it is 683. She got an invite in the mail for the Green. We applied, she got accepted and I had read to always go for another AMEX the same day, which she did, and she got that. She hasn't used it.

The AF was I believe $30 and the Green was $95. We complained to the CS agent and she gave us a $20 credit on the green card, so basically she got the DSM for $10.
15 years 10 months ago #231

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: AMEX Cards

Amex is really shady right now. I have not even had thier Blue card for a year and I am less than satisfied with it!
15 years 10 months ago #232
  • hjm331
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: AMEX Cards

AMEX is being really shady right now. I wonder when they are going to get their act straight. It might not be for awhile, unfortunately.
15 years 10 months ago #233

I have a friend who has a sister that works for AmEx call center. They approved her for a Blue card. She was happy with until she added her husband as an AU. AmEx was quik to decrease the credit limit by $500. the reason was that her husband's credit score was low. See how shady they can be..............
15 years 10 months ago #234

With my past scores I would have been blessed to have an AmEx, But I did get approved for one 2 years ago. It was the Delta Gold Skymiles. The credit limti was the highest I had ($2,000). I felt "elite" with it. I was upgraded to the Platinum after my first year. The AF went up which lessened my available credit. A few months after the upgrade I got a decrease in my CL. Reasons were credit score and inabilility to pay debt down. I always paid more than the minimum.
I lost all respect for AmEx for their shady practices. I dont care much for the card now.
15 years 10 months ago #235

Replied by shark6 on topic AMex Platinum: Spouse pre-Approved and accepted

This is the review that I just posted.

Spouse has had a gree Amex from 2001. He was pre-approved for the Blue Clear about 2.5yrs ago for $5k, they increased it to $9k last year.
He was pre-Approved for Gold card late last year-it appeared on line when managing his other card. For the last 5mths, Amex has been sending him personal invites for the Platinum.

Finally, after receiving the 5th pre-approval letter which just required a social, dob and signature, he went on line today to pay his clear bill when he saw the pop up that he had been approved for the Amex Platinum.
He clicked and accepted and after putting in more info that was required than on the mail in pre-approval i.e home/work#, dob, social#, he was approved.

I can tell you that his WAMU PFICO is 687. He has a mortgage and a line of credit. All of his cars has been paid off. His utilization rate for his other cards are probably around 30% or less. He is not a charger.

The perks are the following:

Free companion airline ticket up to $299 4xs a year from 6 major airlines
Admission for self, spouse and kids under 21 or 2 friends at AA Admirals club, or Delta Crown Room club or NW Airlines Worldclubs
Personalized travil service from platinum Travel Service
Preferential treatment at Fine Hotels and Resorts throughout the world i.e complimentary services such as a room upgrade upon check in , daily continental breakfast for two each day of stay, guaranteed 4pm late check out, also receive an additional amenity which varies by property such as a food and beverage credit, a round of golf or a afternoon tea for two

Exclusive privileges aboard world-class cruise lines
such as sail for 6days or longer with one of our cruise line partners and enjoy a complimentary Cruise Privileges Program benefits i.e including a $300 per stateroom shipboard credit or a two category upgrade plus other special amenities on 8 participating cruise lines.

Complimentary membership in 3 premier car rental programs
comp. enrollment in the expedited services of 3 preminum car rental partners: Avis, Hertz, National, recive special courtesies such as express services and upgrades based on availability.

Travel security
Premium Global Assist Hotline to provide medical, legal, financial or other emergency assist., ie.e visa/passport help, cash access, Travel Accident Insurance up to $500k in AD&D insurance when entire fare charged to the card.

Refined Rewards
Enrollment in award winning rewards program
Retail benefits with Neiman Marcus Incircle Program, Bergdorf Goodman Incircle Program

Concierge Service
to book conference room, deliver gift, locating a rare fine etc
Reservations at top restaurants

Platinum Dining Reservations Program

Exclusive access to once in a lifetime experiences

We haven't received the card yet but will update once received. We opted not to get a companion card for me as it would cost another $175 fees and we think that $450 is high enough although we figure if you travel at least 2-3xs a year,t he card will pay for itself.
It seems that one must have a pre-existing relationship with AMEX, have their other cards and have a FICO over 675 at least.
15 years 10 months ago #236

Replied by sophie on topic I once thought about closing

I once thought about closing my AMEX account because I pay a yearly fee unlike my other cards and I felt like I was not gaining any benefit with it. After reading all of your posts I feel like I am lucky to have a card a lot of people want, so I will keep it.

16 years 1 month ago #237

Replied by Meya on topic Also, I really would like

Also, I really would like to get an HSBC AMEX. I am trying to let some inquiries fall off first. How long does it take for most inquiries to fall off? I really don't know.

Here is a good article that will answer your question Cliffton, hjm331 has it correctly, but here is one for you to keep and share with the next person who has this question
https://www.financeglobe.com/SocialNet/resources/httpwwwbrokencreditcomp44
16 years 4 months ago #238
  • hjm331
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by hjm331 on topic Also, I really would like

Also, I really would like to get an HSBC AMEX. I am trying to let some inquiries fall off first. How long does it take for most inquiries to fall off? I really don't know.

I think they affect your credit score for 1 year but they stay on your report for 2 years.
16 years 4 months ago #239

Replied by CLIFTON on topic Also, I really would like

16 years 4 months ago #240