AMEX Cards

Replied by qchau on topic Re: AMEX Cards/afraid to get decline again

hi,

my recently scores is: 719 (tu), 709(ex) & 695 (eq) and had dream to have amex card in my vallet for many years but NEVER GOT LUCK - i am afraid to get decline again - does anyone knows, thinks or believed that i have enough scores to qualified for any amex cards? thanks. :worried:
14 years 9 months ago #121

Replied by smcc on topic Re: AMEX Cards

Eldarwen, I appreciate all your info, really do. I have to have an objective with my credit other than just paying on time, paying more than the minimum, etc.. I can go no farther with my BOA cards because of hitting the ceiling, I have a Discover More Card but have little interest in it and the only thing left is AMEX. I understand the Annual Fee thought but that can be bugeted, I also understand the Travel Angle, I take two trips a year but not enough to warrant maybe the annual fee.

The only way to remain aggressive with my credit is a larger salary which I don't see happening with the current economic conditions, so the only hand I can play is the hand I'm holding.

Don't want any extra cc cards, owe nothing on the four that I have. Maybe I'm too agressive for my own good.........................:cheesing:
14 years 9 months ago #122

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: AMEX Cards

In my area, more places accept Amex than Discover. I live in an area of mcmansions with some acreage and probably one of the only cards that they carry is an Amex. But I do like a variety of lenders in my wallet. Amex may not be my most favorite at the moment but it's in my wallet.
14 years 9 months ago #123

Replied by charonh on topic Re: AMEX Cards

I do love my Discover but there are so few places that accept it. I honestly don't get why some places will accept an Amex card but not Discover. It kind of sucks because I really can't use my Discover card a lot. Plus, it doesn't help that I live in a somewhat rural area, so my cashback with Discover adds up slowly.

That is so true, but here in Atlanta, there are a lot of places that do not accept Amex as well. In fact, they are somewhat on equal planes in certain areas. Both of them are seriously lacking in comparison to Visa and Mastercard acceptance.
14 years 9 months ago #124

Smcc, do you travel a lot? By looking at the details of the Amex Platinum charge card, it looks like the card for travelers and heavy spenders. Right now, my lifestyle would not justify the $450 annual fee. At this point in time, I don't have large limits and have 7 CC's and 1 charge card (Amex Green). I am working on paying off my credit card debt to get larger limits. The highest CL that I have is $5,000.
14 years 9 months ago #125

I have been reading everyone's comment about Amex's Charge Card and have made up my mind to get the Platinum once the economy stabilizes. I have hit the "ceiling" with BOA and Discover's cards are not that radically different from each other. I guess the same can be said about Amex's charge cards with the exception of the annual fee.

Gotta have something to strive for. Paying my credit cards on time and large limits have become mundane, nothing to shoot for. Hit the ceiling there too (CLI's) because of salary. I'm sure I will lose my interest in that card too over time but without something to strive for credit/credut cards become nothing more than an obligation.
14 years 9 months ago #126

I do love my Discover but there are so few places that accept it. I honestly don't get why some places will accept an Amex card but not Discover. It kind of sucks because I really can't use my Discover card a lot. Plus, it doesn't help that I live in a somewhat rural area, so my cashback with Discover adds up slowly.
14 years 9 months ago #127

Me too, which is why I love my Discover card.
14 years 9 months ago #128

I have not had my green charge card long enough to say for certian if the fee is justified just yet. I have only had the card for just a week and have yet to form an opinion. The Amex Clear and Blue are nothing to write home about really since I had the Blue. I am converting my Clear to the Blue Cash. I am not wild about a points rewards system too much, so I would rather have cashback.
14 years 9 months ago #129

Thanks for responding Eldarwen. I am mainly talking about their green and gold cards. Do the benefits justify the fees, I guess is what I'm getting at. I agree with you. Their other cards are very inviting. I like their One Card. I wouldn't mind having one after I come of my credit strike.:dumbfounded:
14 years 9 months ago #130

I have to admit that Amex gives you more a selection of cards with different rewards than Discover does. Amex seems to have more cards with annual fees. So far, my Discover More beats my Amex credit card but we will see how it compares to the Amex Green.
14 years 9 months ago #131

Well Eldarwen, don't you have a Discover and an Amex card. In terms of rewards, how do they compare?
14 years 9 months ago #132

The Gold and Platinum Amex cards are meant for the big spenders and people who travel a lot. The Amex Green is meant for the person who really doesn't spend huge amounts of money for travels a great deal. If you go to the post that I had befroe on this thread, you can go to the site map and somewhere there is a spot where you can compare and read up on the differences.
14 years 9 months ago #133

Smcc, what are the perks though, is what I'm getting at. My boyfriend has the green card, which he never really uses. In fact, I have to remind him to use it every now and then so they won't close it, lol. I just would really like to know about the perks for the gold card in comparison to the green card to justify the high annual fees. I see the amount of points he's accumulated, but since he isn't a faithful Amex card user, I would like to know from someone who is.
14 years 9 months ago #134

Once the economy stabilizes and the fear of not losing your job or being able to get another job, I am going for the Platinum, until then the Gold works.
14 years 9 months ago #135