AMEX Cards

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: AMEX Cards

Now Eldarwen you know that is a hot darn mess

I have my Amex since August of 2007 and had a $2,000 CL but about August of last year, they gave my my CLD.
14 years 10 months ago #151

Replied by smcc on topic Re: AMEX Cards

Below is what they tell me when I check my spending ability using my Gold Card:

Charges will be approved if the status of your account does not change.

What would cause a change of status? Your account status is based on many factors. For instance, your account status would change if your Card is lost or stolen, if your Card is expired, if a payment is past due, or if there is a sudden change in your regular spending pattern.
14 years 10 months ago #152

Replied by KMoney on topic Re: AMEX Cards

I am for real, I am still sitting at $500 with my Amex. Amex used to be something to strive for but not anymore.

Now Eldarwen you know that is a hot darn mess
14 years 10 months ago #153

Are you for real, what kind of foolishness is that?

I am for real, I am still sitting at $500 with my Amex. Amex used to be something to strive for but not anymore.
14 years 10 months ago #154

Replied by KMoney on topic Re: AMEX Cards

For a while I thought I was doing fine with Amex, but they will CLD just about anybody or give them a financial review. I have seen that people who have had an Amex card for only two weeks getting their cards cancelled.

Are you for real, what kind of foolishness is that?
14 years 10 months ago #155

I don't really understand why Amex approves people then cancels the card a week or two later then cancel the card.
14 years 10 months ago #156
  • hjm331
  • hjm331's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: AMEX Cards

I have seen that people who have had an Amex card for only two weeks getting their cards cancelled.

same here :white-flag:
14 years 10 months ago #157

For a while I thought I was doing fine with Amex, but they will CLD just about anybody or give them a financial review. I have seen that people who have had an Amex card for only two weeks getting their cards cancelled.
14 years 10 months ago #158

Replied by rabbit713 on topic Re: AMEX Cards

American Express has been going well so far, no problems to date on my charges, i follow every ones advice on what to charge and what not to charge to keep them happy and not pull my leg, and yeah i was approved for the Saks Fifth Avenue World Elite Mastercard which stated no preset limit, but i knew i was going to be given a certain limit on it.
14 years 10 months ago #159

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: AMEX Cards

So if I understand Cnative, their is a "ceiling" no matter, green,gold, or Platinum as with their credit cards and the difference between the three are the perks associated with them ?

Yes, very similar to a Visa Signature or World MasterCard. They say no "pre-set" limit but there is a limit to what they will approve. The difference is that a Signature or World still has a revolving credit line with only the overages payable due in full. And as far as "perks" lets just say the main difference between a Green/Gold/Platinum is the annual fee they get to charge you. For instance, when I was 20 with a 600 something bureau score they gave me a Gold because that was an extra $25 a year they could get from me. I have no doubts that my "limit" would have been the same across the board but they got a higher fee from me for giving me the Gold. Again, not an Amex hater here, just my guess. I like my Amex Blue-it's free.
14 years 10 months ago #160
  • hjm331
  • hjm331's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: AMEX Cards

So if I understand Cnative, their is a "ceiling" no matter, green,gold, or Platinum as with their credit cards and the difference between the three are the perks associated with them ?

I've heard of a few people having pre-set limits of $2,000 or less on their AMEX charge cards.
14 years 10 months ago #161

I think it is just there is no such thing as a pre set limit on Amex charge cards. It's a nice idea and probably a good marketing ploy for Amex.
14 years 10 months ago #162

Replied by smcc on topic Re: AMEX Cards

14 years 10 months ago #163

Replied by CG101 on topic Re: AMEX Cards

Like I said, it truly is not endless. Amex has a pre set limit that they will allow you to charge with. You could have a 590 FICO and they will let you charge lets say up to $500 and then cut you off.

That would be fine if Amex would tell you that was the deal. But from what I understand, they don't. People think their Amex Green works like an Amex Black (Centurion). I don't think anyone on any credit board will ever see a centurion.....in addition to having an IMMACULATE credit score, you have to be invited to use it and have a net worth of at minimum mid 7 figures.
14 years 10 months ago #164

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: AMEX Cards

Now that interesting Cnative, I would think that since your spending limit is unlimited (based on previous spending habits and payment history) that the Charge Cards would require a higher FICO score.

Lets say I have a zero at the begining of every month and on the second of the month I put $10K in cash on my card giving me a credit of $10K. Now at the end of every month I use all the money up and back down to a zero balance. Now this particular month on the first day I attempt to purchase an item for $10K and have a zero balance vs a $10K credit balance, will AMEX approve ?

Like I said, it truly is not endless. Amex has a pre set limit that they will allow you to charge with. You could have a 590 FICO and they will let you charge lets say up to $500 and then cut you off.
14 years 10 months ago #165