AMEX Cards

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: AMEX Cards

Any CC with an AF gives me the hives. I see no reason for it in my situation.
14 years 11 months ago #181

Replied by smcc on topic Re: AMEX Cards

You know Meya, the Amex Platinum to me is like the man who goes out and buys the Ferrari, most will never be able to take that car to its full potential, but they have the satisfaction of saying that "yes, I own a Ferrari". Now I know the Platinum doesn't have the status it once had with the creation of the Black Amex and Black Visa but I have all tht BOA can offer outside the Accolades Card (Black Visa) and have no Credit Card Debt.

The plan of attack, should I decide to get this card is to put $40/month into my Gold Card until I reach $450. Obviously this will be sometime next year. Once I get my card, I already have the money there for the AF. Obviously the monthly investment will continue until whenever...............

Some might think this monthy stipend a little much but in due time I feel that we will all be paying AF's to keep the cards we currently have so the banks can continue to see a profit.
14 years 11 months ago #182

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: AMEX Cards

I will keep it real. I am one of them

LOL. I honestly was hoping they would waive part or all of the fee that year that I closed it. But I dont think they budge on the AF's.
14 years 11 months ago #183

Replied by Meya on topic Re: AMEX Cards

What's between me and Amex is $450 a year (LOL),

Might as well accept the Tribute card:fun:
14 years 11 months ago #184

Anyway, there are a lot of Amex haters here

I will keep it real. I am one of them:white-flag:

So basically, no waiver as of yet. I wonder how many amex lovers are going to be able to answer my question truthfully:laugh:
14 years 11 months ago #185

What's between me and Amex is $450 a year (LOL), :laugh:
14 years 11 months ago #186

Between you two, and Amex:relieved:
14 years 11 months ago #187

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: AMEX Cards

I still have not gotten any CLI from Amex since I had the card. One day, it was a we love you and value you as a customer, how about a CLD? I honestly don't get it with Amex. I have always been a customer in good standing with them and all of my creditors and they hand out a lot of people a CLD. I did switch from the Amex Blue to the Amex Clear because the rewards structure more suits my style of use. I don't know if that was one of the triggers or not.
14 years 11 months ago #188

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: AMEX Cards

To add on to HJM question, has anyone ever called Amex and succesfully had an AF taken away

Yes, and no. I had a Amex Gold from 1999-2005. I called to cancel it in March 2005 (a month before renewal) because I couldn't justify the annual fee (was $75 at the time). The lady went through her schpeal about they would hate to lose me as a cardholder etc and offered me the Blue card. I made sure I asked her if it would be the same account number and trade line as my original Amex. The rep assured me that it would be. Well long story short the Blue card came with a different account number and a manager confirmed that it was a new trade (this was before I found out that they backdate new accounts to your original Member Since date). So I raised a fuss, they gave me a PO Box in Ft. Lauderdale to write to. They closed the Blue and deleted it from my bureaus. So, I guess to answer your question, the manager refunded me about $30 of the $75 annual fee (which was almost at the 12th month). Not sure why she did it other then to shut me up. So really that wasn't even a waived fee because the account was closed.....

Anyway, there are a lot of Amex haters here but oh well. I love their service and have since opened a new Blue card.
14 years 11 months ago #189

Young man that is the question. Meya, when doing research about the Platinum car I have read blogs where customers who currently have the card have wanted to back to the Gold Card and AMEX, trying to appease them, waived their AF for that year.
14 years 11 months ago #190

To add on to HJM question, has anyone ever called Amex and succesfully had an AF taken away?:confused:
14 years 11 months ago #191
  • hjm331
  • hjm331's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: AMEX Cards

smcc, are you going to be able to take advantage of the benefits that this card offers to outweight the AF?
14 years 11 months ago #192

Talked to Amex Platinum Charge Card Team this morning and yes, they have a team just for this card. Anyway, talked to a rep about upgrading to the Platinum. She told me it would not be an issue. I would get the card within 2 billing cycles should I move forward with the request.

Now get this, I got the Green in March 09, Upgraded to Gold in April 09, and now qualify for an upgrade to Platinum in May 09. It took 5 years with BOA to go from a platinum Visa to a Visa Signature.

The downside to this is once I got the Gold Card, they immediately bill you for your year's membership ($125). If I move forward for the Platinum, I will again be billed the $450 annual fee once I receive the card.

I guess you "Pay to Play".................................
14 years 11 months ago #193
  • hjm331
  • hjm331's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Denied for an AMEX Green

jpnguyen, do you have any credit cards that report to all 3 credit bureaus monthly?
15 years 6 months ago #194

Replied by smcc on topic Re: Denied for an AMEX Green

Don't feel bad jpnguyen, all my credit scores are over 700, I have $41K in credit limit on two cards and my utilization is below 1/2 % total and because of two dings from 2004 I have been told that I will not be approved for an AMEX Green and I have a full time Job, been in my field for 13 years.

If your credit history is pristine and the only thing needed is a full time gig, then for you my friend, its just a matter of time, you will get there !
15 years 6 months ago #195