Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Explain!

Poll: Do you find this thread helpful in your situation?

Yes
30 71.4%
No
3 7.1%
Does not apply to me, but interesting
7 16.7%
Applies to me, but in a different way. (If checked, please post your story)
2 4.8%
Total number of voters: 4 ( FrankN, mocapino, Egghead, Finance Globe )
Only registered users can participate to this poll

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

I wish you guys could have known Chase before the Bank One/First USA merger. Chase was clearly the winner in the merger; however, since Bank One/First USA was so strong in credit cards, Chase basically kept First USA in place and they are now handling the whole Chase card portfolio. BofA did the same thing when they acquired MBNA, all the cards now are serviced by what was once MBNA. I have never had a problem with Chase before or after the merger (knock wood), but I have seen a difference after 2004, it seems a little sterile if that makes sense. I have always said that Chase bought WaMu only for the banking centers in order to get into the California market. The WaMu cards were the ugly red-headed step daughters in the deal and Chase isn't working too hard on keeping them.
14 years 8 months ago #181
  • Meya
  • Meya's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

I wouldn't want to carry a balance on neither one of those cards. That is a rip off Rivas. Its a shame how these creditors are doing us, they see that we are already in financial turmoil, and they are keeping us in this hole by boosting our Apr's! I am pretty sure that plenty of Americans had some pretty high balances when doing so, I am one of them. This is why I am paying and closing at the same time. I don't care about scores and whatever history I had, I don't want to own all of these cards anymore.

Charon Lowe's is just a GEMB card that plenty of people care nothing about. If they were to have done that to me, I would just say thank you and goodbye. Unfortunately, I left them first. Don't feel bad about them, who cares, they wasn't going to do anything but slash your limit if they did not close it, so what was the difference? $300, they showed you no love in the first place.:upset:
14 years 8 months ago #182

Replied by charonh on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Long time no see RivasGlo, good to hear from you. I'm so sorry this happened to you. I knew this merger was not going to be good, so I closed my converted Wamu account awhile ago. They rate jacked me too, which I wasn't surprised. I've never been a Chase fan. I suggest you payoff whatever balances you owe, because at those rates, whatever rewards you've earned won't equal out to the amount you will be paying in interest. Keep your head up, its not the end of the world :innocent:. I always try to remember that it was not my money, so it isn't like they're taking anything from me, but I try not to allow them to make a large profit off of me in interest, that is, if I can help it. Our current credit situation has made me change my view of credit and banks going forward. I also agree with ColoNative that credit unions are the way to go. I've joined one, no complaints thus far :embarrassed:. Maybe Chase is doing you a favor, but you just don't know it!!!!!! No one should get to comfortable living on credit. Unfortunately, I allowed myself to, but our current credit/economic situation has shook my view(s) back into focus.
14 years 8 months ago #183
  • Meya
  • Meya's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Jesus Christ]
14 years 8 months ago #184

Replied by Brian23 on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Rivas, scary thought... I can't believe they are getting rid of WAMU customers. Makes ex-Wamu customers really dread the day they excepted those CC's. I guess they couldn't just stop at increasing the APR, they had to take it to the mat... Well, I am sorry to hear about that and sorry that these banks are going looney....
14 years 8 months ago #185

Replied by eugene66 on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Damn HJM. Sorry to hear what is freaking going on. Just stopped by to post that about a month ago I received 3 CITs from Chase. Each one pertaining to an APR increase on all 3 of my Chase CC's! "We will be making some changes to your credit card account in response to market conditions and to maintain profitability on you account".

Chase Freedom - Opened 3/2008 - CL $5500 - 7.24% to 14.24%
Chase Flexible Rewards - Opened 1/2007 (OLDEST CC) - CL $1600 - 18.24% to 25.24%
WaMu now Chase - Opened 12/2007 - CL $1500 - 19.99% to 21.24%

TODAY.... I received a letter dated 7/15/09 pertaining to my WaMu now Chase CC... advising me that "after careful consideration, (they) have decided to close" my MFing account! This is because of high utilization on "one or more open bankcards". Which is my Chase Flex. I just paid 50% of my balance and they are still not satisfied.

Who cares if ive never been late or if I always PIF or way above the minimum. Who cares that I have a checking and savings account since 2005. You have officially raped me in the arse!

Anyone out there with Chase accounts that have been rate-jacked or had their accounts closed by them? Please share my anger!

I've read that chase is closing 3 million former WaMu account with variable reasons..high utili...short credit history ect....too many responsible people like yourself is being affected in a negative way with their lame excuses.
14 years 8 months ago #186

Replied by eugene66 on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Ok, how about I go to Lowe's to make my usual every 3 to 4 month purchase of laundry supplies and what not, had the cashier to look up my account number in order to place my purchase on my Lowe's credit and she says it declined. I said, yeah right, you must have put in the wrong zip code, because that's happened once before. She said no and gave me the receipt that said available credit 0. She asked if I had gotten a letter because they had been slashing lines left and right. I said no. Ok, I get home and call the customer service number and she tells me that my account has been closed due to inactivity, yada yada yada. You know, I'm not even mad. I just wanted to let you guys know. Its kind of hard to remember to go Lowe's when you only have a measley $300 credit line, lol. Oh well, another one bites the dust

I'm sorry to hear that...Last year i got rid of all gemb accounts (3) and as i look back to what i have now...good riddance:relieved:
14 years 8 months ago #187

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Charonh;

Holy crud, what is GEMB's problem? You don't use it for a few months and they close it? Who the heck uses a Lowe's card every month? Good lord. I am glad you are taking it well.

Rivasglo:

Holy long time no see, Batgirl! So Chase ups your APR and then closes the old WaMu card? Good grief......time to join a credit union! Check out Security Service FCU or if you are lucky enough to know an American Airlines employee try to join the AA FCU-very good rates and products but is uber exclusive.
14 years 8 months ago #188

Replied by RivasGlo on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Chase has also been closing accounts so I wouldn't rely on them too much.

Damn HJM. Sorry to hear what is freaking going on. Just stopped by to post that about a month ago I received 3 CITs from Chase. Each one pertaining to an APR increase on all 3 of my Chase CC's! "We will be making some changes to your credit card account in response to market conditions and to maintain profitability on you account".

Chase Freedom - Opened 3/2008 - CL $5500 - 7.24% to 14.24%
Chase Flexible Rewards - Opened 1/2007 (OLDEST CC) - CL $1600 - 18.24% to 25.24%
WaMu now Chase - Opened 12/2007 - CL $1500 - 19.99% to 21.24%

TODAY.... I received a letter dated 7/15/09 pertaining to my WaMu now Chase CC... advising me that "after careful consideration, (they) have decided to close" my MFing account! This is because of high utilization on "one or more open bankcards". Which is my Chase Flex. I just paid 50% of my balance and they are still not satisfied.

Who cares if ive never been late or if I always PIF or way above the minimum. Who cares that I have a checking and savings account since 2005. You have officially raped me in the arse!

Anyone out there with Chase accounts that have been rate-jacked or had their accounts closed by them? Please share my anger! :upset:
14 years 8 months ago #189

Replied by charonh on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Ok, how about I go to Lowe's to make my usual every 3 to 4 month purchase of laundry supplies and what not, had the cashier to look up my account number in order to place my purchase on my Lowe's credit and she says it declined. I said, yeah right, you must have put in the wrong zip code, because that's happened once before. She said no and gave me the receipt that said available credit 0. She asked if I had gotten a letter because they had been slashing lines left and right. I said no. Ok, I get home and call the customer service number and she tells me that my account has been closed due to inactivity, yada yada yada. You know, I'm not even mad. I just wanted to let you guys know. Its kind of hard to remember to go Lowe's when you only have a measley $300 credit line, lol. Oh well, another one bites the dust.:cheesing:
14 years 8 months ago #190

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

hjm333 you are right. They were reporting to :upset: :shocked: the bureaus and then they went back and removed them from the bureaus. Note my credit scores took a hit when they were completely removed.
14 years 8 months ago #191

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

They must be business cards.
14 years 8 months ago #192

Scary! Hey hey hey hjm333 Thanks for your findings. As to hidden trade lines I have three. One with Chase for $10K, Two with Capital One at $6K and $10.6K. Interesting thing is they give me 0% for one year balance transfers and bank card checks. Go figure

Your Chase and two Capital One credit cards don't report to the bureaus? That is unusual, I wonder why they don't report?
14 years 8 months ago #193

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Scary! Hey hey hey hjm333 Thanks for your findings. As to hidden trade lines I have three. One with Chase for $10K, Two with Capital One at $6K and $10.6K. Interesting thing is they give me 0% for one year balance transfers and bank card checks. Go figure? :confused: :dumbfounded:
14 years 8 months ago #194

i have never been able to get approved for any card that bofa offers, but my mother who has a score of about 800 has had one of their cards for years and a checking account. she asked some questions about the card with a 20,000 limit and they decreased her limit to 3600(has a balance of about 3000). she was really mad but said she would not close it right now. of course she has american express, but how much will this affect her score

Yeah, it is like they are taking every contact oppertunity with a cardholder to close an account or lower the credit line. I had a slightly similar situation in January. It is almost like you can't call them for anything right now or you may risk losing your account or credit line.
14 years 8 months ago #195