Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Explain!

Poll: Do you find this thread helpful in your situation?

Yes
30 71.4%
No
3 7.1%
Does not apply to me, but interesting
7 16.7%
Applies to me, but in a different way. (If checked, please post your story)
2 4.8%
Total number of voters: 4 ( FrankN, mocapino, Egghead, Finance Globe )
Only registered users can participate to this poll

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Hell has frozen over, I never thought this day would come. I feel so embarrassed after praising about BoA for about two years now.

I called BoA on Friday to transfer $4k of my limit from my BoA Visa to my new BoA AMEX to take advantage of a 12 month no-interest on BT's promo. The CSR told me that they have I to contact the Credit Department on Monday and talk to them because they're the ones that can initiate my request.

I called today and told the credit analyst that I wanted to transfer $4k from Visa to my AMEX to take advantage of the BT offer. He looked at my accounts and told me that he can't do the transfer because my BoA Visa was originally a student card. He put me on hold and told me if there was anything else he can do to help me out. Credit analyst came back on the phone and told me that he had to reduce my credit limit on the Visa because he felt that they (the bank) overextended my spending power. I told him that I have worked hard for that limit for the past 2 years and that they should've thought about it before giving me the increase and he apologized but he said he had to do whatever he needed. He puts me on hold again, comes back and tells me that he has to close the Visa and I told him that it was my second oldest credit card and closing it would ruin my credit that I've worked my rear off for the past 2 years. He agreed to not close the Visa and leave it with a $500 limit and not touch the AMEX with a $2,500 CL since I already have submitted a $2k BT.

I checked my accounts an hour later and noticed that the available credit section had disappeared on both accounts. I called CS and the automated system informed me that both of my accounts had been closed. When I heard this, I felt my heart drop. I didn't have a balance on either account Two years of hard work has gone down the drain and this all feels like a nightmare. I don't know where to go from here.

ETA: I called the number to the Credit Department again a couple hours ago and talked to another analyst and tried transferring me to the department that can help but apparently their offices were closed and I had to hang up the call because the initial rep had hung up as soon as she transferred me. I'm not going to play their games. They lost a very loyal customer who brought a lot of business to them.
14 years 9 months ago #226

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

has anyone had this experience

What is your Expiran score? How many inquiries? Any baddies on your bureau? Like CharonH said, Chase primarily bought WaMu for the banking centers and basically had to absorb the WaMu/Providan credit cards as part of the deal and they are not working too hard to keep any sub prime accounts open.
14 years 9 months ago #227

Replied by charonh on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

I ended up closing my account after the merger. The letter they sent me said that they reserved to the right to cancel your card upon its expiration date if you do not meet their credit criteria. I have never been a Chase fan. They rarely give credit line increases without a hard pull. In your case, you probably should have just laid low. Once you requested an increase, you opened up a can of worms. Apparently they did not like what they saw. Keep in mind, Wamu's requirements for credit approval were/are totally different than Chase's. Chase is a more conservative lender. They do not venture off into the sub-prime world.
14 years 9 months ago #228

Replied by kadams212 on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

has anyone had this experience: i had the wamu card approved for 2500 in 09/08 then they switched over to chase,in like february, i have never been late,never been over, always paid more than the minimum, but i did inquire about a credit line increase or upgrade to a rewards card,they told me no and then closed my credit line completely!i do no understand that and never had that happen to me, please help and tell me is there anything i can do,thats a hard hit for me.:worried:
14 years 9 months ago #229

Replied by KIEJON9 on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

excellent. I Agree With You, The Banks Have Too Much Power. With Credit Unions You Are A Partial Owner And They Do Not Usually Raise Rates Etc. On A Whim.

I Love Banking With Credit Unions

https://www.altavistacu.org

WWW.ALTURACU.COM
14 years 9 months ago #230
  • Meya
  • Meya's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Same here! Joined about a month ago, and its still on and crackin!
14 years 9 months ago #231

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

I agree ColoNative, I just joined my school's credit union so we'll see how it goes. I'm sick of banks at the present.

Excellent. I agree with you, the banks have too much power. With credit unions you are a partial owner and they do not usually raise rates etc. on a whim.
14 years 9 months ago #232

Replied by charonh on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Holy crud. Sorry to hear it. I heard that Citi (owns DSNB/Macys/Bloomies) was raising interest rates. I already got my notice about how my APR is going up to 23.9% with a minimum finance charge of $2. More reason not to carry a balance I suppose. I only have that card for the coupons anyway. And ever since Kohl's (my only other retail card) stopped offering interest free financing, I stopped using it.

This is when I really wish retailers still had their own banks. I can't believe Macy's did you like that

I agree ColoNative, I just joined my school's credit union so we'll see how it goes. I'm sick of banks at the present.
14 years 9 months ago #233

Replied by Tia530 on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Almost 2 years (if not more). They were useless anyway. I only used Travelocity for Itunes, they were not worth the rewards because how can I travel and earn rewards off of a measly $500. I guess I was suppose to earn rewards for purchasing chewing gum and music.

No luv lost huh? What a shame, GEMB is such a credit "drama queen" we're darned if we do, darned if we don't, it's like being at a fork in the road and you're not sure which one to take so you just stand there contemplating. I will keep the accts open with GEMB for now, I believe what HJM is saying, doesn't hurt to keep them until the stormy credit climate let up, good luck to everyone, we definitely will need it.

Happy 4th, thanks to the troops/veterans for maintaining our freedom!
14 years 9 months ago #234
  • Meya
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

How long have you had travelocity and lowe's?

Almost 2 years (if not more). They were useless anyway. I only used Travelocity for Itunes, they were not worth the rewards because how can I travel and earn rewards off of a measly $500. I guess I was suppose to earn rewards for purchasing chewing gum and music.
14 years 9 months ago #235

Macy's decreased my credit line by $400, because I was late (not 30 days), so you guys be aware. I didn't expect it from Macy's, but I think I read somewhere that they were decreasing credit lines. Not to mention, they didn't send me a letter or anything. I closed the account and I don't want to hear about how I shouldn't have from you guys. I refuse to deal with banks like that. I didn't mind the decrease, its the not informing me, that bothered me, not to mention, I rarely use this card except during the Christmas season.

Holy crud. Sorry to hear it. I heard that Citi (owns DSNB/Macys/Bloomies) was raising interest rates. I already got my notice about how my APR is going up to 23.9% with a minimum finance charge of $2. More reason not to carry a balance I suppose. I only have that card for the coupons anyway. And ever since Kohl's (my only other retail card) stopped offering interest free financing, I stopped using it.

This is when I really wish retailers still had their own banks. I can't believe Macy's did you like that :upset: I don't blame you for closing it. Honestly, I stand by what I said a while ago, I think credit union cards are the way to go. Just have one or two really good CU cards for everything.
14 years 9 months ago #236

Replied by KMoney on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

How long have you had travelocity and lowe's?
14 years 9 months ago #237

Replied by Tia530 on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

:confused: Yep, two accounts axed! Wal~Mart, initial CL of $400.00 down to a whopping $124.00, zero balance at the time of decrease, used sparingly & PIF each time, new credit line a few months ago for $1200 SamsClub/Wal~Mart combo members advantage credit card, no notice, sucks, GEMB strikes again, I am itching to close this account but can't afford the hit on my scores.

Crown Jewels, initial CL $1500, axed by $1000.00, new CL $500.00, used 2X, PIF each time, one of my older accounts. Good news is I have a Kays card with a $3000.00 limit
14 years 9 months ago #238

Replied by eugene66 on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Hey i cannot talk either because last year gemb cld my chevron because i pif every month so i closed all gemb accounts(hsbc is also on the cutting block).good riddance:cheesing:
14 years 9 months ago #239
  • Meya
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

:relieved:
Well, I will be a hypocrite to. I closed Travelocity and Lowe's. I don't care how my scores got hit, I am the one who has to pay the high Apr's etc. I don't even shop at Lowe's anymore like I used to, it is because they are GEMB. I am working hard to get rid of GEMB because I KNOW they are coming my way soon with all this high util I got. I am not better than the rest, I know they are coming my way.

Way to go..................But why did it have to be Macy's ooohhh looorrrd:suicide:
14 years 9 months ago #240