Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Explain!

Poll: Do you find this thread helpful in your situation?

Yes
30 71.4%
No
3 7.1%
Does not apply to me, but interesting
7 16.7%
Applies to me, but in a different way. (If checked, please post your story)
2 4.8%
Total number of voters: 4 ( FrankN, mocapino, Egghead, Finance Globe )
Only registered users can participate to this poll

Replied by charonh on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

*singing* Michael Jackson, "you are not alone"

Good day all!

I went to make a small purchase online using my Chase MC (former WaMu customer) To my surprise the transaction was declined, I thought I entered the numbers wrong , re-entered numbers , same response "declined" I went on to use another card, making a mental note to sign onto my account later. Signed onto the Chase account, all looked to be in order 2500$ CL, zero balance.

I placed a call to the 800#, initially the automated system tipped me off reciting my available credit and balance as ZERO, I went on to request live help only to learn my account was closed due to information reported on my Experian report, thing is, I checked my credit monitoring alerts, there was no inquiry from Chase there. My report is clean but I don't think this has nothing to do with Chases decision to close the account. Oh, well...Chase MC, RIP.

Too bad, I was in the process of opening a Chase checking/savings account with an 8K deposit, not now

I'm sorry to hear about your situation Tia. I cut Chase loose shortly after they acquired my Wamu credit account. This is the reason I closed all of my credit card accounts with the exception of Discover. I'd much rather know where I stand. There's nothing worse than believing you have something available to you, make plans based upon that belief, only to find out later that your beliefs were wrong. I've heard and read so many horror stories, it unbelievable. It seems no one is safe. It doesn't matter that you been an excellent customer and abided by the terms of the credit card agreement anymore. Thanks, but no thanks.
14 years 8 months ago #151

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Sorry to hear it, Tia. The creditors usually get updated scores called Scorenet Scores each month. It does not require a hard pull and most credit reoprts have section under inquiries for account reviews.
14 years 8 months ago #152

Replied by Tia530 on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

*singing* Michael Jackson, "you are not alone"

Good day all!

I went to make a small purchase online using my Chase MC (former WaMu customer) To my surprise the transaction was declined, I thought I entered the numbers wrong , re-entered numbers , same response "declined" I went on to use another card, making a mental note to sign onto my account later. Signed onto the Chase account, all looked to be in order 2500$ CL, zero balance.

I placed a call to the 800#, initially the automated system tipped me off reciting my available credit and balance as ZERO, I went on to request live help only to learn my account was closed due to information reported on my Experian report, thing is, I checked my credit monitoring alerts, there was no inquiry from Chase there. My report is clean but I don't think this has nothing to do with Chases decision to close the account. Oh, well...Chase MC, RIP.

Too bad, I was in the process of opening a Chase checking/savings account with an 8K deposit, not now
14 years 8 months ago #153

Replied by Brian23 on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Wanderer....Very nice cards you have there...
14 years 8 months ago #154

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

HJM331 ... Oops...sorry. The write up I put in this post was for a local bank. Didn't catch it until you asked. My credit union is located out of northern Minnesota where they have Share Savings at 0.75% interest, Share Super Savers at 1% plus. Checking depends on your needs with Certificates of Deposit ranging from 1.20% to 3.10% interest. Visa Credit Card runs Prime plus 4.74% depending on credit approximately 7.49% for the best credit risks. Auto Loans New 5.14%, Boats Loans New 6.59%,:embarrassed: Other Loans Secured 6.94% with Personal Loans at 13.34%. Lines of Credit (checking overdraft) run 18% APR no variations. Note you must live in a very close geographic area to be a member. No flexibility. Pretty common for Credit Unions.:white-flag:Love my credit union. Credit Line on the Visa Platinum Card is $5,000.:cool:
14 years 8 months ago #155

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Before i started banking with Boa, I was a member of a credit union for many years until the chairman pushed for and members agreed to become a mutual bank

That would tick me off. Atlantic Coast Credit Union did that.
14 years 8 months ago #156

Replied by eugene66 on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Before i started banking with Boa, I was a member of a credit union for many years until the chairman pushed for and members agreed to become a mutual bank.:upset:
14 years 9 months ago #157

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Wanderer, which CU are you with? Just curious
14 years 9 months ago #158

Agree that overdrafts are far more profitable. Note several of the big boy banks want you to use your credit card as the loc and then charge you a minimum fee to use your card $10 is pretty common or a percentage above the amount. Unreal. It was discussed that a credit union or regional bank may be a place to get a credit card and so on. I have done that and they still treat me with respect. I have a $10,000 Gold Visa with 6.9% Purchase and Cash Advance rates with no fees for writing checks on the credit card account or ATM fees unless the ATM provider charges a fee. No one does that from the big boys. Regular svaings account pays 2.01% APY with regular checking (no minimum balance) paying 1.51% APY. There are good local and regional banks. MY credit union is a little less aggressive but close and very customer oriented!!

I really like credit unions too and I always try to get people to join one.
14 years 9 months ago #159

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Agree that overdrafts are far more profitable. Note several of the big boy banks want you to use your credit card as the loc and then charge you a minimum fee to use your card $10 is pretty common or a percentage above the amount. Unreal. It was discussed that a credit union or regional bank may be a place to get a credit card and so on. I have done that and they still treat me with respect. I have a $10,000 Gold Visa with 6.9% Purchase and Cash Advance rates with no fees for writing checks on the credit card account or ATM fees unless the ATM provider charges a fee. No one does that from the big boys. Regular svaings account pays 2.01% APY with regular checking (no minimum balance) paying 1.51% APY. There are good local and regional banks. MY credit union is a little less aggressive but close and very customer oriented!!! :laugh: :cool:
14 years 9 months ago #160

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

I agree. I never really understood overdraft loc's until I got one, it really does help from time to time. Very few of the larger banks really advertise them anymore it seems.

That's because they prefer profiting from overdraft fees.
14 years 9 months ago #161

I agree. I never really understood overdraft loc's until I got one, it really does help from time to time. Very few of the larger banks really advertise them anymore it seems.
14 years 9 months ago #162

Glad I have a ready line of credit on my checking account. For all the same reasons Meya mentioned. Oops... I forgot that an automatic deposit came out of checking and I had not either deposited funds or transferred funds :white-flag:from a savings account. Any how my reputation remains in tack.
14 years 9 months ago #163
  • Meya
  • Meya's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Its a Reserve Line of Credit (LOC). Its only $500, but i get a kick out of playing with it. :laugh: Its like, you don't have to ask your sister or close friend, "Let me borrow $20 until I go to the ATM," or worrying about going over on your ATM card because you did not check the balance. All you have to do is either 1) go on-line and transfer money into your checking, 2)go over on your card and it automatically slides $200 into the checking account for you. All you have to do is come back home and slide the amount back over. Its easy and darn near free. So if I went out shopping, bank manager said to come inside and give her the money and she will put it back into the RLOC and I can bypass the rest. I like it, had I known about this before, I would have been taking advantage of it. But I was denied from them in the past. Can't get mad at them, they were just spanking me where I needed it.
14 years 9 months ago #164

So you applied for the overdraft protection, not the LOC right? I might apply for OP too in about a year or so when I apply for one of their credit cards. I'm going to ask them if they can use one hard pull for both applications instead of pulling my report twice.
14 years 9 months ago #165