New To Board

Replied by wrknprogrs on topic Re: Hi all, new here !

wrknprogrs, does your daughter currently have a job? Her priorities for right now should be going to school and having a job. She should help you pay for her expenses so that you will be able to pay your auto loan, mortgage, utilities, etc.

Yes, she actually has two P/t jobs. One in retail and the other at the local health club. She has been doing this since the winter of her senior year in high school. Right now she works weekends only due to the distance of school - (commuting would be terrible during the week) she works both jobs on both days. She's had an ah ha moment since being on campus and realizes she can do better in order to get merit based scholarship money from the school and she's really focused now.

Wrknprogrs
15 years 6 months ago #166

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Hi all, new here !

wrknprogrs, does your daughter currently have a job? Her priorities for right now should be going to school and having a job. She should help you pay for her expenses so that you will be able to pay your auto loan, mortgage, utilities, etc.
15 years 6 months ago #167

Oh yeah, since I received denial letters from WFNNB stating they used Experian, I'll contact them for a copy of my free report in the next two weeks to see what is being reported at that time.
15 years 6 months ago #168

Don't worry it will as long as you help us help you. The reason why I say that is because we advise members not to go on an spree whenever they are rebuilding their credit and that causes their scores to drop heavily due to too many inquiries and new accounts. It's not that they will not be able to fix it, it's just that it will take a longer period of time to reach their goals.

I know about too many inquiries - ouch! Try looking for a car with not the best credit in the world - it can take forever to get a decent rate! Before my BK was discharged I had offers pouring in the mail. I went out within 2 weeks after discharge to a dealer I knew would do the right thing and got a new car that was really needed. Now that my credit scores have improved I've thought about refinancing again (did it once already), but I've got too many miles right now to get a decent rate - ant it is kind of tempting to trade it in and get another one, but I'm going to wait, I have other priorities right now. My daughter is in her freshman year of college at a State school (thank God for in-State tuition), and there's no telling what other financial things I may have to do to keep her there for the next 4 years.

Wrknprogrs
15 years 6 months ago #169

Don't worry it will as long as you help us help you. The reason why I say that is because we advise members not to go on an spree whenever they are rebuilding their credit and that causes their scores to drop heavily due to too many inquiries and new accounts. It's not that they will not be able to fix it, it's just that it will take a longer period of time to reach their goals.
15 years 6 months ago #170

Oh ok! I thought Target changed something... I guess a CL of $200 is better than nothing right? My lowest CL was Wal-mart's w/ a CL of $125! Yup you read right! Now im up to $275! Eeeh not that great when ive had the card since 08/2007! Its been a yr already!

I started w/ $500 on my CapOne in 06/2007, APR of like 20-something% and no AF. Now my APR is 16.55% w/ a CL of $3250, still no AF!

YOU ARE GONNA LOVE CAPITAL ONE!

That's a very decent CLI with Cap 1 - I hope my hard work pays off with them!
15 years 6 months ago #171

I agree, Capital One is great! Good luck on your Macy's credit app! Update us with the results that we are so anxious to hear. :cheesing:
15 years 6 months ago #172

Replied by RivasGlo on topic Re: Hi all, new here !

Oh ok! I thought Target changed something... I guess a CL of $200 is better than nothing right? My lowest CL was Wal-mart's w/ a CL of $125! Yup you read right! Now im up to $275! Eeeh not that great when ive had the card since 08/2007! Its been a yr already!

I started w/ $500 on my CapOne in 06/2007, APR of like 20-something% and no AF. Now my APR is 16.55% w/ a CL of $3250, still no AF!

YOU ARE GONNA LOVE CAPITAL ONE!
15 years 6 months ago #173

Once you maintain a long, positive history on your report, your scores will rise and you will be receiving the royal treatment from creditors around the nation.

Good Luck

Yeah, I can hardly wait - I was talking to one of my friends about my credit situation over the past few years - she's in the mortgage business - - I told her my good news about the score, CL on tribute and Salute - she shared with me her current limit on 2 of her cards are like 50K on one and 30K on another - I was like wow!!!!!

It will be nice to have credit so pristine that I'd be able to qualify for half of that kind of credit! - one day!
Wrknprogrs
15 years 6 months ago #174

At least you didnt get the famous $200 CL!

Did you get approved the Macys? Or you dont know yet?

My bad, typo on Target - the CL was $200.00

Don't know about Macy's yet, but that is really a card I could/would use regularly - it's like leaving money on the table not being able to use their card. I usually shop in the same dept at the Macy's in my area and the salespeople know my name - they are always saying - you really need to get one to get the discount. I never wanted to apply for the card in the store as I expected to be declined.

I called Cap1 to activate the card and got a human being on the line - she tried to sell me EVERYTHING - my response, no, no, & no!

My membership fee $19.00
APR 0% for purchases through 2/09 then 14.9% (I wish I had enough on there to get a treadmill - I'd have it paid off by Feb).
APR 22.9% for cash advances - NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I was automatically enrolled in their Credit Steps program - which will grant CLI without an app, telephone call requesting a CLI and no fees like First Premier does! I couldn't believe First Premier wanted to charge me for a automatic CLI! I was like nahhhh, thanks, but no thank you - when I called to cancel the card after reading the fine print the CSR was trying to play me - I informed him that I have a right to cancel this agreement within 72 hours and since I had not used their card - please close the account. They were already on my CR with an opened account stating pays as agreed (before the card even arrived in the mail) It is one of the accounts I disputed last week as well.

Wrknprogrs
15 years 6 months ago #175

I'd definitely go with the Macy's card. They offer discounts for their cardholders and help you build credit at the same time. It's a win-win situation.
15 years 6 months ago #176

Replied by RivasGlo on topic Re: Hi all, new here !

Received Target card on Fri - 300 CL

At least you didnt get the famous $200 CL!

Did you get approved the Macys? Or you dont know yet?
15 years 6 months ago #177

Congrats wrknprogrs! Now that's what I am talking about. It's always nice to see your hard work paying off! Just make sure to keep 3-4 credit cards open for now and keep making payments on-time. Once you maintain a long, positive history on your report, your scores will rise and you will be receiving the royal treatment from creditors around the nation.

Good Luck

Thanks!

Here's the latest - after reviewing the information on this site, here's what I did:

applied for JC Penney,Target, Victoria's Secret, Macy's & Capital One

Received Target card on Fri - 300 CL
Received Cap One Today - 300 CL (actually paid them off before and closed account - prior to BK filing)

Received no's from JC Penney & Victoria's Secret today.

I have a couple of inquiries that will fall off in Jan 09 and June 09. By that time my Cap One account should be in good standing w/CLI and my Tribute & Salute cards will have CLI by then as well. BTW - Tribute & Salute were issued 8/07 and with 300 limits, and they've incrementally upped the CL to 750.

Do I really need Victoria's & Penney's nah, but Macy's YES! I need to save 20% on sale items. I'm at a point in my life I can use their card for the discount and pay it off while still standing at the register so I accrue finance charges on clothing.

Wrknprogrs
15 years 6 months ago #178

Congrats wrknprogrs! Now that's what I am talking about. It's always nice to see your hard work paying off! Just make sure to keep 3-4 credit cards open for now and keep making payments on-time. Once you maintain a long, positive history on your report, your scores will rise and you will be receiving the royal treatment from creditors around the nation.

Good Luck
15 years 6 months ago #179

Hello Everyone,

Thanks so much for this useful forum, I've learned a lot in the past week by lurking.

I've been in the process of rebuilding my credit since filing BK in 2006 - things are getting better and this site really helps! I was recently shopping for car insurance (been with the same company for 10 years) and was surprised to see that I was granted a decent credit discount - I was shocked! Considering my FICO score and the information I've learned on this site - I still have a long way to go, but it has improved - 484 right after BK filing to 611 now.

Thanks again,

Wrknprogrs
15 years 6 months ago #180