Credit Card Questions

Poll: Does anyone find this thread helpful?

Yes
67 80.7%
No
5 6%
Somewhat
11 13.3%
Total number of voters: 9 ( Wanderer, FrankN, JacksonM, JGibbs, vincymol ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

Each creditor is different in terms of when they update information. One of the things I always appreciated about my Citibank card was that they update on the account cycle date. I always try to pay off almost all of the balance prior to the cycle date so that I can keep my utilization low.

Some update at the begging of the month and others at the end. And some seem to be a month behind (ie it is now March but some creditors will report the February account information).
14 years 2 months ago #346

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

HSBC doesn't stop reporting. They're always behind and it takes a while for the new balance to show on your reports. The latest I've seen them report is on the 15th of every month.
14 years 2 months ago #347

Replied by kforbes86 on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

I have an issue and i hope someone here will have an idea of what to do about it. my hsbc card has been slow to update on my credit reports since i opened it. now it has not even updated my payments since the january payment. the account is still open and active..... is there a reason why they would stop updating monthly like they should? what can i do to get them to update the last 2 months? i have paid my balance down a lot and really need the lower balance the last couple months showing on my reports.
14 years 2 months ago #348

Has anyone on here applied for this card? Let me know if you get an instant approval.
http://www.cardlabconnect.com/AffinityPortal/visitorAction.do?affinityName=volunteerinyourcommunity

Tynece, it looks like it's one of Capital One's prime cards targeted towards consumers with excellent credit. Don't forget that Capital One pulls all 3 credit bureaus and if you were to apply, make sure you don't have any baddies.
14 years 2 months ago #349

Replied by Tynece on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

Has anyone on here applied for this card? Let me know if you get an instant approval.
http://www.cardlabconnect.com/AffinityPortal/visitorAction.do?affinityName=volunteerinyourcommunity
14 years 2 months ago #350

Replied by hanna on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

Is fund transfer the same as debt consolidation?
14 years 2 months ago #351

Replied by greese on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

I don't have a very good grasp at numbers so I'll just ask, is it really a wise move to transfer funds from my other credit card to another one? Am I really paying that transferred funds at a lesser interest rate for a number of months?
14 years 2 months ago #352

Replied by greese on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

Just out of curiousity, do credit cards use geographic demographic data to determine credit limits? When I lived in a more upscale community (a LONG time ago with my parents), I didn't even have a credit score nor did I have a credit card and the banks seemed to issue me higher limits. Strange. Now I am an urbanite (and loving it), but as far as cities go, all walks of life can live in one block- bums, doctors, painters, elderly, college kids...you get the picture.

I thought they only use income and credit scores to determine credit limits...wew!:innocent:
14 years 2 months ago #353
  • Meya
  • Meya's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

You are so welcome!

Re: Wanderer,
you just had to make me laugh....lolz!:popcorn:
14 years 2 months ago #354

Replied by maureen on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

Thanks for the links Meya! :cool:
14 years 2 months ago #355

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

... be glad to help you hold the new wallet with the money in it! CONGRATS! :dollar:
14 years 2 months ago #356
  • Meya
  • Meya's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

I'm considering applying for a credit card but I don't have any ideas what to consider when applying for one. Any advice?

You have very good info coming your way from Colo and HJM331, I just thought I would add my little two cents in to the conversation. Here is a link that have very nice cards for re-builders. Things has changes since the thread started, but I do believe there will be some luck there.

https://www.financeglobe.com/SocialNet/forum/showthread.php?t=361&highlight=nice+cards+apply

Also, it is very important that you use the score match before applying. It doesn't necessarily guarantee an approval, but it does reduce the risk of denials by showing which cards you may better qualify for.

https://www.financeglobe.com/ScoreMatch/
14 years 2 months ago #357

Replied by Joeyman on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

I went to Norstroms Rack and bought a new wallet to go with my new credit union visa! L0l x D
14 years 2 months ago #358

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

I'm considering applying for a credit card but I don't have any ideas what to consider when applying for one. Any advice?

Hi Maureen. As HJM asked, please provide the forum with additional information regarding any past or current credit that you may have. Also, are you over age 21? If you are under 21 you will have to have a co-signer for any credit card you apply for.

I am going to go out on a limb and assume that you do not have any credit. So please, please whatever you do, stay away from First Premier Bank and Applied Bank. They make getting a credit card very easy; however, you pay a great price for it (fees). If you are brand new to credit and over age 21 I suggest a secured credit card from one of the larger banks (Citibank, Bank of America, Wells Fargo or US Bank) or credit unions. Also, Capital One is worth a shot. If approved, Capital One would likely grant you a small credit line and the account would typically have an annual fee; however, in a year or so the credit line should be increased and you could request to be upgraded to a card without an annual fee.

Once you have established credit (6 months) I would apply for a Macy's store card . But you want to be very careful not to apply for too many cards. Building or rebuilding credit takes time and I have seen too many people here go on wild application sprees for cards that simply will not grow with them.

Good luck!
14 years 2 months ago #359

What is a gas card?

A gas card is a credit card that can be only be used at specific gas station locations. For example, if you applied and were approved for a 76 gas card, you can use the card only at 76 gas stations. If you applied and were approved for an Exxon/Mobil gas card, then you can only use that card at Exxon and Mobil gas stations.

However, if there's a Visa or MC logo on the card, then they can be used anywhere Visa and MC payments are accepted.
14 years 2 months ago #360