Credit Card Questions

Poll: Does anyone find this thread helpful?

Yes
67 80.7%
No
5 6%
Somewhat
11 13.3%
Total number of voters: 9 ( Wanderer, FrankN, JacksonM, JGibbs, vincymol ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

I'm considering applying for a credit card but I don't have any ideas what to consider when applying for one. Any advice?

How do your credit reports look? Any baddies? Any loans? Please describe in detail.
14 years 2 months ago #361

Replied by maureen on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

I was just approved for tires at Tire Kingdom but the credit card is for Citi. Anyone have a clue what Citi credit card I'm looking at? I expect to receive it in 14 days but have no clue what to expect -- is it a gas card, Tire Kingdom specific or what? Got any idea? I appreciate any responses. Thank you and hope you are all having a lovely, lovely weekend.

What is a gas card?
14 years 2 months ago #362

Replied by maureen on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

I'm considering applying for a credit card but I don't have any ideas what to consider when applying for one. Any advice?
14 years 2 months ago #363

Replied by Rockin35 on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

Rockin35 - WOW you got wacked. Relocating is the story of my life but it sure makes it hard to have a stable life (I was in the political side of things). Being without work over time is hard on the mind and psych. I have been unemployed numerous times and it is bad news! Relocated to eat. More people are going to have that as their real life alternative. They will NOT like it but eating is part of the human requirements. The day of company life time committments is long over. Company's merge, go out of existence or just slowly fade away. Employers wonder where are loyalty is??? Dah!!! Give me a piece of Wall Street so I can sit back and watch the grass grow.

Your comment was too funny Wanderer, but oh so true!

Take Care!!
14 years 2 months ago #364

Replied by KIEJON9 on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

I hope people wake up and realize that we (the customers) made BoA, Citi, Chase, and Wells Fargo the banks they are today. Without us, they wouldn't be able to buy the competition or even stay in business. These banks here are NOT our friends. They will NOT be here for us when we need them. The recession is a wake-up call to all consumers out there that the big banks will pull away when you need them the most. They took our money (TARP funds), used it to keep their stomachs full but left us hungry with closed accounts and/or CLD's to the point where we can't support ourselves nor our families.

We need to support CU's because they are here for us more than the big banks will ever be. We need to start moving our money to a better place and that would be credit unions. They are non-profit organizations which means that they will do what's in the best interest of their members, not themselves.

agree with you :white-flag:
14 years 2 months ago #365

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

i know how that is. i had to move from oregon to arizona, back to oregon, and now to oklahoma, all because of jobs and work. i just feel lucky now that i have a job with the state that i should be able to keep for a long time.

I hear OK has a very good employment rate and low rent.
14 years 2 months ago #366

Replied by kforbes86 on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

i know how that is. i had to move from oregon to arizona, back to oregon, and now to oklahoma, all because of jobs and work. i just feel lucky now that i have a job with the state that i should be able to keep for a long time.
14 years 2 months ago #367

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

Rockin35 - WOW you got wacked. Relocating is the story of my life but it sure makes it hard to have a stable life (I was in the political side of things). Being without work over time is hard on the mind and psych. I have been unemployed numerous times and it is bad news! Relocated to eat. More people are going to have that as their real life alternative. They will NOT like it but eating is part of the human requirements. The day of company life time committments is long over. Company's merge, go out of existence or just slowly fade away. Employers wonder where are loyalty is??? Dah!!! Give me a piece of Wall Street so I can sit back and watch the grass grow.
14 years 2 months ago #368

I am right behind you! I've been paying down (slowly) and closing cards at my request. A decrease in income caused me to slash the cards that I have not used in quite some time and get rid of them. What caused me to have so many cards.....stupidity and anxiety.

Meya, I agree. Besides the fact that my employer layed us off, effective 1/11 with a severence date of 01/31, no option to transfer,... you can imagine the horror facing my own livelihood. After 10 years, ....nothing.

It just so happens, I had already been looking for jobs since Mid April of last 2009. The only company that offered me a job the last week in January was a company in MD. I had to cut into my savings to relocate at my expense, but I didn't have a better choice at the moment.

Anyways, like you, I got cards out of anxiety. Some were just pre-approvals that I didn't even need anyways, or accummulated during the holiday seasons that I've held onto for many many years. Though I'm still an "Addict".... applying for credit on impulse has been curbed tremendously.

Rockin35
14 years 2 months ago #369

I understand everyone's frustration with the banks and people starting to turn to CU's for very their own individual reasons, and all of them are good.

Thing is this recession will not last forever. We weathered the Depression under FDR and we will weather this downturn too. CU's are treating the consumer fairly and that's a good thing.

The banks see this too. When time comes and society is back on its feet the banks again will rival the credit unions with offers that the credit union's just will not be able to match. Now obviously not everyone will be able to take advantage of what the banks will have to offer, but these offers will exist.

Some people will stay with their CU's and that's good but others who will be building their credit during these difficult financial times will be able to take advantage of these offers the banks give and leave their CU.

Treating the customer fairly is the utmost priority, but when all is said and done we all want the most bang for our buck and if BOA and the others can give me more than the CU, then the question becomes "Does my personal financial gain outweigh the Customer Service I receive ? "

Everything you said is correct SMCC, and what I consider to be a very accurrate assessment of the US current economic situation.

Rockin35
14 years 2 months ago #370

Replied by smcc on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

I understand everyone's frustration with the banks and people starting to turn to CU's for very their own individual reasons, and all of them are good.

Thing is this recession will not last forever. We weathered the Depression under FDR and we will weather this downturn too. CU's are treating the consumer fairly and that's a good thing.

The banks see this too. When time comes and society is back on its feet the banks again will rival the credit unions with offers that the credit union's just will not be able to match. Now obviously not everyone will be able to take advantage of what the banks will have to offer, but these offers will exist.

Some people will stay with their CU's and that's good but others who will be building their credit during these difficult financial times will be able to take advantage of these offers the banks give and leave their CU.

Treating the customer fairly is the utmost priority, but when all is said and done we all want the most bang for our buck and if BOA and the others can give me more than the CU, then the question becomes "Does my personal financial gain outweigh the Customer Service I receive ? "
14 years 2 months ago #371
  • Meya
  • Meya's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

I am right behind you! I've been paying down (slowly) and closing cards at my request. A decrease in income caused me to slash the cards that I have not used in quite some time and get rid of them. What caused me to have so many cards.....stupidity and anxiety.
14 years 2 months ago #372

I hope people wake up and realize that we (the customers) made BoA, Citi, Chase, and Wells Fargo the banks they are today. Without us, they wouldn't be able to buy the competition or even stay in business. These banks here are NOT our friends. They will NOT be here for us when we need them. The recession is a wake-up call to all consumers out there that the big banks will pull away when you need them the most. They took our money (TARP funds), used it to keep their stomachs full but left us hungry with closed accounts and/or CLD's to the point where we can't support ourselves nor our families.

We need to support CU's because they are here for us more than the big banks will ever be. We need to start moving our money to a better place and that would be credit unions. They are non-profit organizations which means that they will do what's in the best interest of their members, not themselves.

Absolutely and 100% agree.

Well, 2 months ago, instead of getting a used vehicle, i decided to put the repairs on my Honda and use my Honda Visa Card ($5000 Limit) and has been for 2 years. My amount due at the dealership was $683, they ran my card.. DECLINED!!! What a rude shock!

Immediately went home, called CHase, and YES you guessed it. Two days prior, their credit card team, reduced my credit limit to $500. They said I didn't utilize the card enough in the last 12 months. I normally used it for my oil changes or gas occassionally but thats all.

3 weeks ago, I got a letter advising me they were closing my Honda Visa card. I didn't wait for them to do it, I closed it myself the day I got that letter.

Those Banks can call the shots on whomever and whenever they want regardless.

Not only that, GE Money Bank is slashing credit lines like its going out of style. 2 of my cards I've had with them for like 5 years, again, little utilization, dropped my limit on my Gap Visa Card from 2500 to 200. I closed it today.

Lessens Learned: I asked myself if I just really needed those cards with high credit lines anyways. The answer was NO. Although they did boost my credit ratings and helped my utilization/debt ratio.

2010 is the ABSOLUTE year of change for me.....not sure about anyone else.

Rockin35
14 years 2 months ago #373

Replied by Joeyman on topic Re: What Should I Do?

You may also have to pay off the balance to under 50% of the credit limit ($175 or less), and wait a month for it to report the credit agencies. In fact, I would do that before applying. We have a very similar position, I am 19. Currently, I have three cards with a combined credit limit of $3,400 and have 1.5 years history. If you're a student try shooting for a student card (the secured cards are good too!). First, I would pay off the balance to under 50% of the limit though. Capital One is probably is good idea too. :)

My cards:

- Elan Financial Services, College Rewards Card $1,400 limit (West Coast Bank).

- Capital One Platinum MasterCard $1,000 limit.

- Unitus Community Credit Union Classic Visa $1,000 limit.
14 years 2 months ago #374

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

Yeah, I know about the hole triple advantage thing. Sorry if I confused you, but I've been using the Triple Advantage service now for months, because they offered it me at 50% off when I tried to cancel. So I get unlimited pulls at about $7/month plus the monitoring.

Oh that isn't bad at all then.
14 years 2 months ago #375