Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Explain!

Poll: Do you find this thread helpful in your situation?

Yes
30 71.4%
No
3 7.1%
Does not apply to me, but interesting
7 16.7%
Applies to me, but in a different way. (If checked, please post your story)
2 4.8%
Total number of voters: 4 ( FrankN, mocapino, Egghead, Finance Globe )
Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • Meya
  • Meya's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

I know, I only go to stores, such as Safeway, that does this when I am about to use cards that has not been used in a while. Most stores let you split cash and debit/credit. Safeway does all. There are times that I do forget to use a card especially Credit One, Orchard, and Travelocity because they stay in my drawer. The only time they cross my mind is when a statement comes through the mail, I am cleaning out my drawer, or is making a payment on-line, and that is not good:laugh: That is when I just think about Safeway and just go purchase some minor groceries.
15 years 4 months ago #376

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Meya, I don't think all stores will do that. Usually, when it's a split tender, you can pay by cash and credit card.
15 years 4 months ago #377
  • Meya
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Six month rotation is way too long in this credit climate. I suggest using your cards every other max.

You never lied. Just to keep it rolling, sometimes I just make a split payment with it at certain stores. I had went to Safeway to purchase some food and I told them to put $20 something odd on this card, and the other $20 something odd on that card.
15 years 4 months ago #378

Replied by charonh on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

I guess I had better start using my chevron, bp, and target cards, because I haven't used those in over six months and really don't have any desire too. The only one I'm really worried about is chevron, because its backed by GE with their sometiming selves and its one of my older accounts.
15 years 4 months ago #379

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Six month rotation is way too long in this credit climate. I suggest using your cards every other max.
15 years 4 months ago #380

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

GE Money Bank reduced my Dillard's and my Walmart CC to $100.00 limits each. I never use them, but even so, this will raise my utilization and hurt my FICO until I can get Christmas paid off.

I really hope they do not reduce my JCPenney CL- that is a $1,500.00 CL and I used $500.00 of the line for Christmas! What will happen if they reduce my limit to $100.00 and I owe $500.00?????

HELP!!!

Lots of banks are doing this or outright closing the accounts. That is why you really need to keep these accounts active so that this doesn't happen. I go on a 6 month rotation, usually making a small purchase on my cards that I don't use often so that they stay active. Then once the statement cycles I pay it off right away.
15 years 4 months ago #381

Why do you think AMEX starts chasing balances when you pay it off in portions? If it was legal, then I'm sure that your available credit would be $0. After all, they are the same lender that suspends your account and asks for tax info whenever they feel like it.

If that was legal, AMEX would be the first to do that, trust me.
15 years 4 months ago #382
  • Meya
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

This is why the gov is working hard to go into our favor. I would not be shocked if that really happen to someone. In fact, I thought I read it here before.:confused:

In case that person is reading, can you please come forward becasue we need to hear your story again. This is a good thread for that issue.
15 years 4 months ago #383

That's my point. I was saying how a creditor CAN'T reduce your limit to less than what the balance is to charge you overlimit fees. It's illegal, plain and simple.
15 years 4 months ago #384

Replied by RivasGlo on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

I'm sure it's illegal for them to do that. Just make sure you save your statements so you can prove that your limit was once $1,500. It's not surprising for lenders to reduce CL's that aren't being used.

Its not illegal. Then can reduce it to whatever they please...

I saw lots of CL reduced on ExxonMobil cards but because of bad history, some even reduced less than what the balance was but thats because of no OCL fees. Now if theres OCL fees then I really dont think the banks can reduce it less than the balance because its basically a scheme to get money out of consumers by charging the OCL fees specially when the bank did it on purpose knowing the CMs balance.

IDK just had to put my 2 cents in.

I hope GEMB gets bought out by someone big :cheesing:
15 years 4 months ago #385

Kellbell, I don't go by the badge. I'm just here to help everyone achieve their goals and help their dreams come true.
15 years 4 months ago #386

Replied by KellBell on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Thank you HJM, you really are a Finance Captain. I had my doubts that that would be legal, but ahhhh!!!

A $100.00 limit at Walmart???
15 years 4 months ago #387

I'm sure it's illegal for them to do that. Just make sure you save your statements so you can prove that your limit was once $1,500. It's not surprising for lenders to reduce CL's that aren't being used.
15 years 4 months ago #388

Replied by KellBell on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

GE Money Bank reduced my Dillard's and my Walmart CC to $100.00 limits each. I never use them, but even so, this will raise my utilization and hurt my FICO until I can get Christmas paid off.

I really hope they do not reduce my JCPenney CL- that is a $1,500.00 CL and I used $500.00 of the line for Christmas! What will happen if they reduce my limit to $100.00 and I owe $500.00?????

HELP!!!! :upset: :scared:
15 years 4 months ago #389

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Now that is crazy. Juniper should sit down somewhere! This is why I try to tell people to try not to miss a single payment. If your funds are running low, take advantage of the minimum payment until you can do better. There are still some creditors who practice Universal Default. I feel sorry for this person.

Creditors are the one who can cause you to mess up your report. They are sitting up there decreasing cl's and then that cause you to say forget it or take your time paying on it especially if it caused you to be over the limit

I wonder if we got the whole story though...seems like she might be telling it all. Anyway, I wouldn't play with Juniper anyway, I have nothing against our friends in the UK but they don't need to be buying our banks. If it weren't for the Roaming Gnome on that Travelocity card, I would be totally anti-Juniper.
15 years 4 months ago #390