Amex

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Amex

Or cell phones. The next generation iPhone is rumored to have a Radio-Frequency Identification, or RFID card. This will allow checking out with participating Visa payWave retailers. It's speculated Visa has already been certified by Apple with the software end. We'll see.

Can you imagine buying something at a vending machine with your phone?

It is kind of scary really.
13 years 11 months ago #196

Replied by Joeyman on topic Re: Amex

Chip cards, or Smart Cards, never took off here. But they are huge in Europe. I had a Fleet Visa with a chip and I know at one point Target Visa and Amex Blue had them. I guess the next big thing is going to be flat credit cards, kind of like a Kohl's charge-the numbers are printed instead of raised. They say that it will be harder to counterfeit the flat cards (I think it would be easier....?) Basically, as soon as the industry finds something new, the fraudsters will find a way to defraud it.

Or cell phones. The next generation iPhone is rumored to have a Radio-Frequency Identification, or RFID card. This will allow checking out with participating Visa payWave retailers. It's speculated Visa has already been certified by Apple with the software end. We'll see.

Can you imagine buying something at a vending machine with your phone? :D
13 years 11 months ago #197

Colonative made a comment above that really rings home. I have started to use my AMEX charge card exclusively, gas, groceries, bills, etc.. Because of this my Visa Signatures and my Discover remain dormant with the exception of the occasional Subway visit.

Since the other cards are at zero, I have yet to be denied on my AMEX. Had dental work done totalling $1200 and as fast as the receptionist could slide the card, it was approved. I spend around $1000 / month on purchases and have yet to have any issue.

While speaking about AMEX do you think they will ever go back to the issuance of Chip Cards in the U.S. or does the Credit Card industry feel that their security measures are stable enough where the use of Chip Cards are not warranted ?

Chip cards, or Smart Cards, never took off here. But they are huge in Europe. I had a Fleet Visa with a chip and I know at one point Target Visa and Amex Blue had them. I guess the next big thing is going to be flat credit cards, kind of like a Kohl's charge-the numbers are printed instead of raised. They say that it will be harder to counterfeit the flat cards (I think it would be easier....?) Basically, as soon as the industry finds something new, the fraudsters will find a way to defraud it.
13 years 11 months ago #198

Replied by smcc on topic Re: Amex

Colonative made a comment above that really rings home. I have started to use my AMEX charge card exclusively, gas, groceries, bills, etc.. Because of this my Visa Signatures and my Discover remain dormant with the exception of the occasional Subway visit.

Since the other cards are at zero, I have yet to be denied on my AMEX. Had dental work done totalling $1200 and as fast as the receptionist could slide the card, it was approved. I spend around $1000 / month on purchases and have yet to have any issue.

While speaking about AMEX do you think they will ever go back to the issuance of Chip Cards in the U.S. or does the Credit Card industry feel that their security measures are stable enough where the use of Chip Cards are not warranted ?
13 years 11 months ago #199

Replied by smcc on topic Re: Amex

Now for you delta flyers, here is an incentive you might want to take advantage of :

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/travel/2010-05-05-delta-skymiles-baggage-fee-waiver_N.htm

Can Visa and MC be far behind...........?
13 years 11 months ago #200

Replied by julienne on topic Re: Amex

I agree with some of the other posters, its the reputation the card brings with it. I would apply for one with no annual fee. I would never used it because like others, VISA and MC do a better job when it comes to disputes. We all have worked hard to make our credit the best it can be at the present and for some acquiring an AMEX is the answer for all the hard work and perseverance

Good reputation is the result of great customer service. :) Visa and mastercard are really good at settling disputes.
13 years 11 months ago #201

Replied by Finance Globe on topic Re: Amex

I went to Big Lots 2 years ago as well and I didn't feel anything special (no tingly, what have I been missing all my life feeling :fun:). I didn't buy anything, but I guess I could see how seasonal items were fairly priced, but had less quality in the products. My biggest question was how regulated the products were, how many recalled items does the store sell? Why are they here, and not on the original shelves?

Personally, I would rather shop at Amazon.com, or their "Deals & Bargains" department if I was shopping for sales.
14 years 3 weeks ago #202

Well to me bargain shopping is Wal-Mart. I did go into a Big Lots once and it made me sick. Yeah, I don't want to sound like snob or look down at anybody who shops at a dollar store, but it is not for me

I looked at an apartment with an urban Dollar Tree on the street level. At my age, I would have definitely purchase my cleaning products there. ;)

$1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1 $1

My parents call Big Lots; Best Buy. They're so out of it. :X
14 years 3 weeks ago #203

He would find out because they would cancel that card with the quickness. You know that Amex think they are so "Upper Class" and they will dis-own members who bargain shop!

Well to me bargain shopping is Wal-Mart. I did go into a Big Lots once and it made me sick. Yeah, I don't want to sound like snob or look down at anybody who shops at a dollar store, but it is not for me.:dumbfounded:
14 years 3 weeks ago #204

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Amex

ColoNative's wife uses his AMEX at the Dollar Store, I know it!

He would find out because they would cancel that card with the quickness. You know that Amex think they are so "Upper Class" and they will dis-own members who bargain shop!
14 years 3 weeks ago #205

I got owned. I pictured you with a family...

Yup, epic fail. LOL
14 years 3 weeks ago #206

I got owned. I pictured you with a family... :P
14 years 3 weeks ago #207

:shocked: I have a wife? Good lord, I wonder if I have children too. :scared:
14 years 3 weeks ago #208

14 years 3 weeks ago #209

Hi everyone, I'm a new member here. I'm just beginning my journey in building credit, I'm a 20 year old college student. I've had a $500 Visa card through my CU for 1.5yrs always PIF or much more than the minimum. I recently applied for an AMEX Blue Rewards and Discover more card, was approved for both. But, back to my Amex card.

I just received it yesterday with a $2000 credit limit. What type of spending does Amex like to see? Should I PIF the whole balance at the end of the month or separate payments? Are there stores I shouldn't use my Amex card at? I'm planning on mainly using it every month or two for travel, restaurants, or to pay bills with. I've just heard a lot of conflicting reports about amex, people hate it/love it, have random CLD or Finance Reviews, or don't have any problems at all. I've also heard about people having accounts closed for shopping at "discount stores." Anyways what have your experiences been?

Hi Will. There are a lot of Amex haters here that is true. I personally have not had any problems with my Blue card. I opened it 9/08 for the 0% APR on purchases, bought a $700 computer and paid it off 11/09. I have used it every month for my Netflix subscription ($14.78) and they have not done anything funky to my account.

As far as the CLD's, Financial Reviews and Purchase Profiling; that was mainly during the worst of the Great Recession in 2008-and AMEX was not the only one doing it. I would strongly advise against requesting a credit line increase until you have the income to back it up. Requesting a CLI could trigger a financial review. I probably wouldn't use my AMEX at The Dollar Store (they say they no longer profile where you shop but...) Wal-Mart should be fine though.

You can make a payment online at anytime (I do not know what the limit is-Citibank limits online payments to 4 per billing cycle) I always recommend paying a good portion of the balance off prior to the cycle date as that is when most creditors report your account monthly to the bureaus.

Main thing with AMEX; don't go on wild application sprees-they do see that and they could react. Also, keep your debt-to-income ratio down. Otherwise, you should be fine. Don't live in fear of your card.

So to recap: don't request a CLI until your income increases; probably should use a debit card at The Dollar Store and don't apply for credit that you do not need.
14 years 4 weeks ago #210