Amex

Replied by Brian23 on topic Re: Amex

I still drool over an AMEX....

Amen to that!
13 years 10 months ago #151

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Amex

I agree Eldarwen, discipline is the key. Since the goal for all of us is to maintain our score / raise our score, this is a discipline that is justified !. If you do it with your charge card, you will do it should you be accepted for an AMEX Credit Card.

I can also see where you have a credit card and your payment has to roll over because you can't pay it off in 30 days ( large / emergency outpay), in that case you would still try to pay it off as soon as possible because of you "Charge Card" mentality.

Can't speak for the rest but I really THINK before using my Charge Card, if it can't be paid off in 30 days, its stays in the wallet.

I noticed that new feature on their website about checking your spend ability. Pretty handy.
13 years 10 months ago #152

Replied by smcc on topic Re: Amex

I agree Eldarwen, discipline is the key. Since the goal for all of us is to maintain our score / raise our score, this is a discipline that is justified !. If you do it with your charge card, you will do it should you be accepted for an AMEX Credit Card.

I can also see where you have a credit card and your payment has to roll over because you can't pay it off in 30 days ( large / emergency outpay), in that case you would still try to pay it off as soon as possible because of you "Charge Card" mentality.

Can't speak for the rest but I really THINK before using my Charge Card, if it can't be paid off in 30 days, its stays in the wallet.
13 years 10 months ago #153

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: Amex

Give me a Charge Card ! Force me to pay if off in 30 days ! Force me not to spend more than I can pay off in the billing cycle !

Since the AMEX website can now tell me before I walk out the door, how much I can spend using my charge card or if a particular dollar amount will be approved / declined, the possibility of being denied for a purchase has all but been eliminated !

The website also tells you that you don't have to contact AMEX should you leave your normal spending area. HELLO BOA !

It takes a lot of discipline to pay off a credit card every month because of the knowlage of you don't have to. With a charge card, there seems to be a built it discipline.
13 years 10 months ago #154

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Amex

Yes, I liked the :cc: AX Centurion Card (CL $20,000 with 7.9% APR), and I am sorry it is gone. Yes, the concept of paying in full every 30 days and getting rewards is good. I got my first AX Gold Charge Card with a $2,000 Bank Line of Credit in 1973 (when I worked for Ford Motor Company since they expected their management types to carry the best and we had to apply personally at the time - not a company card) as that was the only way to revolve a balance. You got your bill in the mail and you had a choice to pay it in full or some amount less and sign the enclose card and return via mail with the combination equaling payment in full. AX then credited your account and billed your bank for any amoount not included as payment in full up to your LOC at the bank. Took bank approval first then AX to set up such a AX Gold Card. It worked great!. Also had an AX Green Card. Yes then there was the AX Platinum Charge Card with $450 AF and I carried it but didn't use it to justify the AF. Closed it out. Last AX Card until the new co-branded AX Credit Cards with your Bank Name goes here cards.
13 years 10 months ago #155

Give me a Charge Card ! Force me to pay if off in 30 days ! Force me not to spend more than I can pay off in the billing cycle !

Since the AMEX website can now tell me before I walk out the door, how much I can spend using my charge card or if a particular dollar amount will be approved / declined, the possibility of being denied for a purchase has all but been eliminated !

The website also tells you that you don't have to contact AMEX should you leave your normal spending area. HELLO BOA !
13 years 10 months ago #156

I still drool over an AMEX....

Me too, I think they are still a great card. I like the one you are looking at too. The Costco True Earnings, it is a great design.
13 years 10 months ago #157

The Amex Blue Cash can earn some pretty decent rewards. I've had it since July of last year and have earned almost $25 in cash back and have not reached the $6,500 threshold to get the 5% back.
13 years 10 months ago #158

Replied by Joeyman on topic Re: Amex

I still drool over an AMEX.... :(
13 years 10 months ago #159

If that's the case, then I'd prefer having a credit card.

Most people do. They got way in over their heads during good times by approving credit cards, now they are pusing charge cards again.
13 years 10 months ago #160

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Amex

They like that too. If you are a charge card account holder they try to get you to open a credit card and vice versa.

If that's the case, then I'd prefer having a credit card.
13 years 10 months ago #161

With Amex, I like to have both a credit card and a charge card. Why limit myself?

They like that too. If you are a charge card account holder they try to get you to open a credit card and vice versa.
13 years 10 months ago #162

With Amex, I like to have both a credit card and a charge card. Why limit myself?
13 years 10 months ago #163

I concur Young Man. Get a Charge Card and force yourself to charge only what you can pay off in 30 days. Should you run into a scenario where you have to stretch out the payments over "X" amount of time, then consider a credit card (non AMEX) as an option.

Obviously the downside is the Annual Fee, but if the Charge Card can keep you within your budget and help you pay off other credit cards at the same time by not overspending on your charge card, then is the $95 for the Green Card so outrageous ?

Numerous payments within the billing cycle and making sure you have a zero or credit balance on the closing date (Charge Card) and AMEX will love you !
13 years 11 months ago #164

My Blue Cash helps with utilization, so it is not like it doesn't serve a purpouse.
13 years 11 months ago #165