Best and worst banks

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Best and worst banks

That relationship building with a bank seems to be gone, but it depends on where you live, I miss that, I was a member of the Iowa National Guard Credit Union for over 15 years but then in 2002 they were taken over by another non military credit union in Iowa, nothing was the same after that. I could call up and they knew who you where, even had the credit union president answer the phone some times. I miss that but things change.

It seems today that bank and financial system consolidations have roots in the FDIC/SPIC reporting requirements for banking operations. Anotherwords, the backroom is the same for one bank as many banks (branches) so they combine for economies of scale (got this from a banker). It is costly and the smaller single units banks find the cost becomes too much for them to stay competitive. I do understand the call and a hand shake approach. Used to have the hand shake with a local bank that was merged out of existence where they gave me the loan and said drop in and sign the papers when you are in the area.
13 years 1 week ago #31

Replied by rsty99 on topic Re: Best and worst banks

That relationship building with a bank seems to be gone, but it depends on where you live, I miss that, I was a member of the Iowa National Guard Credit Union for over 15 years but then in 2002 they were taken over by another non military credit union in Iowa, nothing was the same after that. I could call up and they knew who you where, even had the credit union president answer the phone some times. I miss that but things change.
13 years 1 week ago #32

Replied by patrick12 on topic Re: Best and worst banks

Great report on a local bank. Followed up the URL link and found the bank has everything a customer would want. They even do their own credit cards (choices)! This is my kind of bank and you get the personal "touch"! Bank website is user friendly too!

Thats why they have still been in business all these years, they never got involved in the subprime mess, in other words, they never loaned over 80% LTV, and they require paystubs! They still pull Trans Union to decision their loan applications, but they dont use risk base pricing, they look at the over all financial picture, I have had their classic Visa card for over 2 years with a $500.00 limit, and my personal loan officer told me to come back in July and he will upgrade me to their gold card with a $5000.00 credit limit! Told me this back in November, so thats why I am waiting until then, that was when I closed on my auto loan! But yes Wanderer, I truley feel my money and investments are safe there!
13 years 1 week ago #33

patrick12 wrote: I have banked with Garrett State Bank for well over 9 years, its a small community bank that was founded by earlier railroaders, they still operate by the same philosophy as they did back in the late 1800's, be conservative, but still lend on a hand shake, and thats what I love about them! They make all their decisions locally, and structure their mortgage lending with 20% down and 80% LTV! Very conservative! They also offer numerous deposit accounts as well as installment programs and credit cards, all handled in house! They dont asses fees of any kind for having accounts, however, they still charge for typical late fees and over draft fees as any financial institution would. My only complaint I have with them is they report my mortgage and auto trade to Trans Union, they do not report to Equifax and Experian, something about keeping costs down, but over all I would have to agree with their slogan, service of the past with products of the future!
Great report on a local bank. Followed up the URL link and found the bank has everything a customer would want. They even do their own credit cards (choices)! This is my kind of bank and you get the personal "touch"! Bank website is user friendly too! :bank: Ran a bank rating check and found the Garrett State Bank rates (similar to FDIC Ratings) a five star bank which is the best bank/financial services rating there is, putting them in the top for banks in Indiana (... there are 147 state chartered banks in Indiana...) or anywhere else for that matter.
13 years 1 week ago #34

Replied by patrick12 on topic Re: Best and worst banks

I have banked with Garrett State Bank for well over 9 years, its a small community bank that was founded by earlier railroaders, they still operate by the same philosophy as they did back in the late 1800's, be conservative, but still lend on a hand shake, and thats what I love about them! They make all their decisions locally, and structure their mortgage lending with 20% down and 80% LTV! Very conservative! They also offer numerous deposit accounts as well as installment programs and credit cards, all handled in house! They dont asses fees of any kind for having accounts, however, they still charge for typical late fees and over draft fees as any financial institution would. My only complaint I have with them is they report my mortgage and auto trade to Trans Union only, they do not report to Equifax and Experian, something about keeping costs down, but over all I would have to agree with their slogan, service of the past with products of the future! Here is their website if anyone is interested in seeing just how full service this 3 branch bank is! http://www.garrettstatebank.com/2193/mirror/
13 years 1 week ago #35

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Best and worst banks

Thanks for the heads-up ColoNative and believe me I keep a thorough check on the banking industry thru updated financial sites and all.I usually do my online banking in the morning before i go to work and after so nothing can get pass me as far as changes go. I learned a long time ago about the pitfalls of using a debit card instead of a credit card and now with everything so out there(phishing ect...), it is even more proactive to use a credit card.My relationship with my bank do not have to be perfect(nothing really is) but it has to be at least resourceful for both parties

I agree. I rarely use my debit card...I use the credit card for the rewards :cheesing:
13 years 1 week ago #36

What made you leave B of A? Seems to be a growing trend as reported on the FG site. Don't understand? Note, I have a small Affinity BofA Visa Card with them and I refuse to add any of their other services.

Really had no issues but had cc for 3 years and just asked for some sort of cli on cc and they said no, really did not seem they cared one way or another, even the branch manager said she wished I had come into the bank. It is actually okay, but I was told also that because the banks can no longer get the fees from those who dont bank properly ie over drafts etc, and that they are lowering the amount they get from atm and other transactions, they have to make up for it some where even US Bank was very nice to work with me on avoiding any fees, in fact they went over all options with me, they are changing all their accounts in May, was nice of them when I went in for some bank business the teller said by the way you may want to talk with a banker today to help avoid any fees on your accounts, I sat down and worked things out. nice of them before I even got the notice, much better than Chase, almost left Chase with the less than helpful transition of one of my checking accounts. I would highly recommend credit unions to everyone or use one of the many military banks or credit unions, this ride is not over yet. Just be on top of these changes that really are not being talked about, last year it was all over the news, now not much is being said about these new accounts changes.
13 years 1 week ago #37

Replied by eugene66 on topic Re: Best and worst banks

Just keep an eye on Chase...they have been threatening to limit debit card purchases to between $50-$100 if the Durbin Amendment is passed (limits the amount banks can charge merchants for debit card interchange fees, currently at $0.44 will be reduced to a maximum of $0.12). They have also been testing $3 per month debit card fees in Green Bay, WI as well as monthly checking account fees in GA that are unavoidable even with direct depost etc.

Without getting too politcal here in the forum, I have to say this is exactly what happens when the government gets too involved; they slap the banks on the wrists and the banks come back with new ways of generating revenue by screwing everybody rather than the old way of getting revenue from those that were constantly overdraft etc. And the beauty of it is that most Americans believe that the government is on their side and the big bad banks are to blame. In a capitalist economy, the market would take care of itself without government intervention i.e. those that were tired of paying overdraft fees would either start balancing their checkbooks with more care or switch banks etc.

Thanks for the heads-up ColoNative and believe me I keep a thorough check on the banking industry thru updated financial sites and all.I usually do my online banking in the morning before i go to work and after so nothing can get pass me as far as changes go. I learned a long time ago about the pitfalls of using a debit card instead of a credit card and now with everything so out there(phishing ect...), it is even more proactive to use a credit card.My relationship with my bank do not have to be perfect(nothing really is) but it has to be at least resourceful for both parties.:white-flag:
13 years 1 week ago #38

I am in the process of moving my banking business to Chase and closing all accounts I have at BOA permanently.I've taken advantage of an email I received from my Chase Freedom account to open a checking account and I will receive $150.00 deposited into my new checking account.The money is on standby until my direct deposit starts which will start in a week or two.

I've had great experiences with BOA I admit but as I've read posts over the last year from long time customers(and from my recent experience) of the company, the relationship has becomes a numbers game, it doesn't matter how excellent you've kept your accounts with them.The move from this bank was really a tough decision but one that had to be made.

Just keep an eye on Chase...they have been threatening to limit debit card purchases to between $50-$100 if the Durbin Amendment is passed (limits the amount banks can charge merchants for debit card interchange fees, currently at $0.44 will be reduced to a maximum of $0.12). They have also been testing $3 per month debit card fees in Green Bay, WI as well as monthly checking account fees in GA that are unavoidable even with direct depost etc.

Without getting too politcal here in the forum, I have to say this is exactly what happens when the government gets too involved; they slap the banks on the wrists and the banks come back with new ways of generating revenue by screwing everybody rather than the old way of getting revenue from those that were constantly overdraft etc. And the beauty of it is that most Americans believe that the government is on their side and the big bad banks are to blame. In a capitalist economy, the market would take care of itself without government intervention i.e. those that were tired of paying overdraft fees would either start balancing their checkbooks with more care or switch banks etc. :white-flag:
13 years 1 week ago #39

Frankly, I got tired of the same nonsense with Wells Fargo Bank NA the first quarter of 2010 and moved all my banking, credit cards, investment account and insurances to USAA Federal Savings Bank FSB and their USAA Investments LLC and only can thank ColoNative and FG for the encouragement to do it. Best move I could have made. Also, I have a sixteen bank regional banking system that provides me local brick and motar banking services along with treating me very well, similar to a credfit union (they are great). Eugene66 truth, with the big banks it is all about what is best for them. For daily living small local or regional banks and credit unions will make you feel the best and treat you like part of the family (speak with experience). I have never trusted or felt part of something at the big banks (...note, some of their branch banks are able tp provide that closer feeling it is the corporate I am referring too...). Only dealt with big banks since 2000 and I do regret it. Great products for awhile and then they churn out new ones and kill the one's we like! I have NOT found where the banking relationship helped me with their credit card divisions. You would think but, NO!!!

I'm still jealous that you have USAA! Anybody who is eligible for USAA membership should seriously look into it. They are highly rated and they have excellent products/service.
13 years 1 week ago #40

Well I would have to say this maybe based more on experience each person has, but Chase, USAA, and US Bank have never given my any problems. But I know that each person may have had an issue, but that is why you bank with who works for you and these banks have not caused me any problems for many years. I have had issue with one bank this last year 5/3 Bank, just used them for some bill payments that I wanted to keep separate from my other accounts, in fact they offer free checking for veterans, so has been no problems, but they issued me a cc a year ago, and 6 months in, this card had 0% interest for 12 months, they started to lower the credit line, like $300, then $200, I called and was like what are you doing, this card is new and has promotion. I have never had this on any other cc before, balances on other cards and this were within proper percentages of use. I closed them out, amazing had no problems with them until this cc came, even the branch manager could not get a answer from them. I called US Bank just had balance moved over to the cc I have with them. So as you can see never had any issue until cc and then all over. I also just closed my ties with B of A along with cc.

What made you leave B of A? Seems to be a growing trend as reported on the FG site. Don't understand? Note, I have a small Affinity BofA Visa Card with them and I refuse to add any of their other services.
13 years 1 week ago #41

Well I would have to say this maybe based more on experience each person has, but Chase, USAA, and US Bank have never given my any problems. But I know that each person may have had an issue, but that is why you bank with who works for you and these banks have not caused me any problems for many years. I have had issue with one bank this last year 5/3 Bank, just used them for some bill payments that I wanted to keep separate from my other accounts, in fact they offer free checking for veterans, so has been no problems, but they issued me a cc a year ago, and 6 months in, this card had 0% interest for 12 months, they started to lower the credit line, like $300, then $200, I called and was like what are you doing, this card is new and has promotion. I have never had this on any other cc before, balances on other cards and this were within proper percentages of use. I closed them out, amazing had no problems with them until this cc came, even the branch manager could not get a answer from them. I called US Bank just had balance moved over to the cc I have with them. So as you can see never had any issue until cc and then all over. I also just closed my ties with B of A along with cc.
13 years 1 week ago #42

Thank you for your insight Wanderer,it is highly noted and appreciated.I've been banking with BOA for a few years after being involved with Credit Unions most of my working life, but as time went on
I found that banks in general over time offered more flexibility on what I wanted.The Credit Unions I belonged to wound up converting to Mutual banks and a lot of the things that made those Unions great were eliminated.There used to be a great influx of regional banks here but over time all they were swallowed up by the larger nation banks. I love Credit Unions to this day but competition here has made some become more bank like and the line between them and banks is kind of blurry now.

Interesting! Think you hit on another piece of the puzzle. My residence is Minnesota where there are 407 locally chartered state banks then add in the big banks that headquarter out of state and the local credit unions. What this means is lot's of choices. You reside in Texas and find a different banking climate (market place). One size does not fit all. In my mind 407 banks was a lot... but, choices gave us options. My sixteen bank regional bank system restricts who may bank there by the geographic service area (region) and they have the products I need except investing and insurance. Ok, I can find others to provide that...(USAA Federal Savings Bank FSB & USAA Investors Services LLC) but, the banking is top shelf and they innovate their products. Good to keep perspective. Since I have options my favorite is local but, now I realize NOT everyone has that... choice! That is local and they know me at several of the branches when I walk in. Even hugs if I haven't stopped in for awhile to say hi!
13 years 1 week ago #43

Replied by eugene66 on topic Re: Best and worst banks

Frankly, I got tired of the same nonsense with Wells Fargo Bank NA the first quarter of 2010 and moved all my banking, credit cards, investment account and insurances to USAA Federal Savings Bank FSB and their USAA Investments LLC and only can thank ColoNative and FG for the encouragement to do it. Best move I could have made. Also, I have a sixteen bank regional banking system that provides me local brick and motar banking services along with treating me very well, similar to a credfit union (they are great). Eugene66 truth, with the big banks it is all about what is best for them. For daily living small local or regional banks and credit unions will make you feel the best and treat you like part of the family (speak with experience). I have never trusted or felt part of something at the big banks. Only dealt with big banks since 2000 and I do regret it. Great products for awhile and then they churn out new ones and kill the one's we like! I have NOT found where the banking relationship helped me with their credit card divisions. You would think but, NO!!!

Thank you for your insight Wanderer,it is highly noted and appreciated.I've been banking with BOA for a few years after being involved with Credit Unions most of my working life, but as time went on
I found that banks in general over time offered more flexibility on what I wanted.The Credit Unions I belonged to wound up converting to Mutual banks and a lot of the things that made those Unions great were eliminated.There used to be a great influx of regional banks here but over time all they were swallowed up by the larger nation banks. I love Credit Unions to this day but competition here has made some become more bank like and the line between them and banks is kind of blurry now.
13 years 1 week ago #44

I am in the process of moving my banking business to Chase and closing all accounts I have at BOA permanently.I've taken advantage of an email I received from my Chase Freedom account to open a checking account and I will receive $150.00 deposited into my new checking account.The money is on standby until my direct deposit starts which will start in a week or two.

I've had great experiences with BOA I admit but as I've read posts over the last year from long time customers(and from my recent experience) of the company, the relationship has becomes a numbers game, it doesn't matter how excellent you've kept your accounts with them.The move from this bank was really a tough decision but one that had to be made.

Frankly, I got tired of the same nonsense with Wells Fargo Bank NA the first quarter of 2010 and moved all my banking, credit cards, investment account and insurances to USAA Federal Savings Bank FSB and their USAA Investments LLC and only can thank ColoNative and FG for the encouragement to do it. Best move I could have made. Also, I have a sixteen bank regional banking system that provides me local brick and motar banking services along with treating me very well, similar to a credfit union (they are great). Eugene66 truth, with the big banks it is all about what is best for them. For daily living small local or regional banks and credit unions will make you feel the best and treat you like part of the family (speak with experience). I have never trusted or felt part of something at the big banks (...note, some of their branch banks are able to provide that closer feeling it is the corporate I am referring too...). Only dealt with big banks since 2000 and I do regret it. Great products for awhile and then they churn out new ones and kill the one's we like! I have NOT found where the banking relationship helped me with their credit card divisions. You would think but, NO!!!
13 years 1 week ago #45