Laid off ? How about no unemployment Insurance !

Replied by kdb030609 on topic Re: Report Your "Credit limit Increases" Here!

Yeah the amount of savings you need. In the unfortunate event of unemployment . Can be a difficult thing to prepare for financially ! Especially in the current economy of rises prices and stagnating wages. It sounds like a nice plan but not very feasible for most people. Even six months savings isn't enough for a lot of people. I know alot of the people. That were laid off where I work are still out of work. Some have been out of work 15 months others 12 months. As an example when the layoffs happened we were still busy. The company immediately decided to cut back. Blame it on the news media and all there doom and gloom. Not to be insensitive to those who have found themselves unemployed. However there are still a large group of us still working. The glass is half full not half empty.
14 years 1 month ago #1
  • smcc
  • smcc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

Replied by smcc on topic Re: Report Your "Credit limit Increases" Here!

You know wanderer I always thought it was six months of savings should you get laid off with most of society being 1 paycheck from really being in trouble.

Scary thing is with most high unemployment states nearing 104 weeks of unemployment most will buckle down, live within their unemployment checks and hope that within 2 years they will have another position. Nevertheless your opinion is correct save as much as you can while you can but depending on where you live you can look to almost 2 years of unemployment if need be
14 years 1 month ago #2

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Report Your "Credit limit Increases" Here!

joeyman - It feels good to be debt free. In another post a mention was made that you might want to have a "rainy day" fund just in case. There are ideas around about how much. Three to four months of living expenses has been thrown out. It used to be six months of easy to get at cash especially if one is short on employment. Food for thought. I have faced unemployment several times and having some cash stashed has helped! :dollar:
14 years 1 month ago #3
  • smcc
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

Replied by smcc on topic Re: Laid off ? How about no unemployment Insurance !

I saw this article today in USATODAY and wanted to share this with everyone

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/employment/2009-09-03-unemployment-benefits-running-out_N.htm

White/Blue Collar no one is exempt from losing their benefits, for all that are still employed, you are blessed, for those looking for work and who believe in a higher power, God hasn't forgotten you, things will get better !
14 years 6 months ago #4

Replied by KMoney on topic Re: Laid off ? How about no unemployment Insurance !

I don't know if everyone can relate to this but in the IT world, you can have 10, 20, 30 years experience, you are only as good as your last job. If you are without work for an extended amount of time, employers feel that you have become rusty in your skill set. Someone with 5 years experience as opposed to your 15 years of experience will get the job if he/she has just been laid off and you have been out of work for a year or so.

I remember when I was still in the Bay Area (SF), an employer called me and wanted me to work for just one week. It was not cost effective to take the job but looking at the idea of refreshing my IT skills so it didn't seem that I was down for a year without doing anything was the motivating facto to take the gig.

SMCC you know what your statement about you are only as good as your last job is true and I am not in IT. That was a smart thing taking the gig for a week because you never know what was waiting to open up for you around the corner.
14 years 9 months ago #5

I know too smcc. I haven't worked a full time job in five years and am just now starting to look for a new one. If I had known then what I know now, I would never have gone this long with employment. It isn't easy to find a job after you haven't worked in so long, but I'm optimistic nonetheless.

Remain optimistic but also there should be alot of free sites were you can practice updating your computer skills if need be. Are you looking to get back into the field you were in 5 years ago?
14 years 9 months ago #6

Unemployment is no joke. I remember collecting for close to 8 months...I was a week shy of my last check before I had to get an extension, but through the grace of God, I had found employment in my field (IT), as opposed to MckieDees.

Waking up every other Tuesday, calling the number answering Yes, Yes, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO (give or take a NO), then finally YES. Then my check would arrive two days later. It was the most depressing time of my life. I know a lot of people are in it now, but I was able to get through it. Of course, my car got repoed during that time as I had to wait 6 weeks because my quit wasn't tolled enough (it had to come from my last job). But man, did it suck.

Keep your head up my friends...economy is getting better.

Didn't you have the ability to do your weekly benefits online. I know in NY you can go online to certify your benefits.
14 years 9 months ago #7

Replied by CG101 on topic Re: Laid off ? How about no unemployment Insurance !

Rehears, rehears, rehears, and then rehears again

To rehearse might not be a bad idea, either. :innocent:
14 years 9 months ago #8

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Laid off ? How about no unemployment Insurance !

You know what smcc, I always thought that IT's skills were so highly in demand, and were knocking those in the front end down since computers has taken over. But i guess they focus more on the repairer than anything else. I don't think I can ever go into the IT world, I barely understand the simple PC that I have, let alone utilizing it in a company. It just seems so complicated. I had a headache dealing with Microsoft Access, Visual Basics, Publisher, and Excel. I have to go back to my lecturing book for some of those. Also, it hurts my eyes to sit at a screen all day. :confused:
14 years 9 months ago #9
  • smcc
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

I don't know if everyone can relate to this but in the IT world, you can have 10, 20, 30 years experience, you are only as good as your last job. If you are without work for an extended amount of time, employers feel that you have become rusty in your skill set. Someone with 5 years experience as opposed to your 15 years of experience will get the job if he/she has just been laid off and you have been out of work for a year or so.

I remember when I was still in the Bay Area (SF), an employer called me and wanted me to work for just one week. It was not cost effective to take the job but looking at the idea of refreshing my IT skills so it didn't seem that I was down for a year without doing anything was the motivating facto to take the gig.
14 years 9 months ago #10

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Laid off ? How about no unemployment Insurance !

If you can get the interview, just make sure you knock them dead lol...

Rehears, rehears, rehears, and then rehears again. :white-flag: :white-flag:
14 years 9 months ago #11

Replied by Brian23 on topic Re: Laid off ? How about no unemployment Insurance !

I know too smcc. I haven't worked a full time job in five years and am just now starting to look for a new one. If I had known then what I know now, I would never have gone this long with employment. It isn't easy to find a job after you haven't worked in so long, but I'm optimistic nonetheless.

Yea, but you have to always remain cofident in yourself and your abilities. If you can get the interview, just make sure you knock them dead lol...
14 years 9 months ago #12

Replied by charonh on topic Re: Laid off ? How about no unemployment Insurance !

14 years 9 months ago #13
  • smcc
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

I remember when I was on unemployment (Jan 04/June 04). Was laid off July 03 but had a severance pkg until the end of the year. You REALLY learn how to budget, make no mistake. Since I am in IT, I was looking for a job three times a day on the PC, Morning, Noon, and Evening.

During those times I truly understood the meaing of not being complete without having a Full time Job.
14 years 9 months ago #14

Replied by CG101 on topic Re: Laid off ? How about no unemployment Insurance !

Unemployment is no joke. I remember collecting for close to 8 months...I was a week shy of my last check before I had to get an extension, but through the grace of God, I had found employment in my field (IT), as opposed to MckieDees.

Waking up every other Tuesday, calling the number answering Yes, Yes, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO (give or take a NO), then finally YES. Then my check would arrive two days later. It was the most depressing time of my life. I know a lot of people are in it now, but I was able to get through it. Of course, my car got repoed during that time as I had to wait 6 weeks because my quit wasn't tolled enough (it had to come from my last job). But man, did it suck.

Keep your head up my friends...economy is getting better.
14 years 9 months ago #15