Laid off ? How about no unemployment Insurance !

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Laid off ? How about no unemployment Insurance !

Ohhh ok, thanks for the clarification! I know this will benefit someone who run across this situation. Thanks for updating the thread KMoney!
14 years 10 months ago #16

Replied by KMoney on topic Re: Laid off ? How about no unemployment Insurance !

True, but I guess they are making it seem like there is a probation period before you can get unemployment. I have sen that on some life insurance....lol. But for real, I do believe that there is some type of probation period, which every employee must complete before being qualified for unemployment. I do know that if you exhaust your employment, you can receive it again if you were employed for like 30 or 45 days after exhaution....something like that. Correct me if I am wrong.

No you are absolutely correct but here is the catch in order for you to collect, the employment must fall within the quarters of your previous employment. Meaning if you only worked for your employer for like 6 months to 1 year when you apply your employment may not be in the particular quarter (1st quarter, 2nd quarter 3rd quarter). If you have worked for a number of years then the likely hood of reapplying and getting approved for additional benefits is great. I know I am not explaining it right but that is how the letter was explained to me when I reapplied and was approved for additional benefits.
14 years 10 months ago #17

5/11/2009
14 years 11 months ago #18

True, but I guess they are making it seem like there is a probation period before you can get unemployment. I have sen that on some life insurance....lol. But for real, I do believe that there is some type of probation period, which every employee must complete before being qualified for unemployment. I do know that if you exhaust your employment, you can receive it again if you were employed for like 30 or 45 days after exhaution....something like that. Correct me if I am wrong. :confused:
15 years 1 week ago #19
  • smcc
  • smcc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

Replied by smcc on topic Re: Laid off ? How about no unemployment Insurance !

Meya I see the problem as follows:
  • Assuming your right, lets say your 1 day shy of 6 months and get laid off, you get nothing.
If this is the case why not "pro rate" the unemployment compensation based on the number of days worked at your employer instead of a minimum 3 or 6 months? If you only work a month and get laid off then that individual would be pro rated his benefits. Something is better than nothing.
15 years 1 week ago #20

From my understanding isn't it like 3 months- 6 months unless you are with construction or something in that manner? My husband is a construction worker and they are already programmed to be paid through unemployment for the unforeseen or laid off. It kicks in automatically.
15 years 2 weeks ago #21

Replied by Brian23 on topic Re: Laid off ? How about no unemployment Insurance !

That is really sad.... It's crazy all the stuff that's going on these days with the economy....
15 years 2 weeks ago #22
  • smcc
  • smcc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

was created by smcc

This article ia truly an eye opener

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/employment/2009-04-09-unemployed-but-no-benefits_N.htm

In essence if you haven't worked long enough you don't get it (unemployment compensation) even if you are laid off.

Ironic isn't it, your employer is mandated to pay into the insurance but because you haven't worked long enough, you might be out of luck !
15 years 2 weeks ago #23