Capital One Credit Steps

Replied by patrick12 on topic Re: Capital One Credit Steps

I would have to agree with Wanderer, Capital One has their needle stuck on the ways they conduct business, loyalty comes from catering to your best customers, best customers come from rewarding them with higher credit lines and lower rates, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out in this day and age it comes down to competition, if they would rather offer sub-prime rates and limits to customers who have demonstrated responsible behavior, those customers will go to someone who doesnt, in which case Wanderer as well as myself have done in the past, what these BIG banks cant get though their thick skulls is that people do matter, not bottom lines, credit unions have figured this out, and because of that, more and more people are flocking to them! :cool:
11 years 11 months ago #1

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Capital One Credit Steps

I've had two Capital One credit cards, one for two years with a cl of $500 and a second one for one year with a cl of $750. I've called about an increase but was told there was nothing they could do about it. Got approved for a Discover More Card with a cl of $4,500. Anyone want to guess what Capital One can kiss?

You are stating what most of the FG posters have said. Why Capital One can't understand there is more than one type of card user is beyond me. Or, is it that the sub-prime market is so profitable it doesn't pay to deal with the regular prime card market? More likely the truth. Like you I moved on. By the way, your Discover More Card will take care of you! Nice CL!
12 years 16 hours ago #2

Replied by sintanjin89 on topic Re: Capital One Credit Steps

I've had two Capital One credit cards, one for two years with a cl of $500 and a second one for one year with a cl of $750. I've called about an increase but was told there was nothing they could do about it. Got approved for a Discover More Card with a cl of $4,500. Anyone want to guess what Capital One can kiss? :cheesing: :cheesing: :cheesing:
12 years 23 hours ago #3

I did 6 wks prior to 1st step increse....DENIED

As I remember... people placed in their "credit step program" have had credit challenges and Capital One will NOT deviate from the steps they established at the time of card issuance (based on credit check of applicant). Generally this is explained in the information sent with the card where it explains the credit steps.

Note, Capital One generally will NOT adjust the credit line on a credit step program. So, what do you do? After establishing yourself with them and have an improved credit bureau profile, they may issue one of their regular cards to you and then you work credit line changes from there... Note, this is "generally" and I am sure there a exceptions.

Related to the ongoing acquistion of HSBC USA Credit Cards and the move to prime Capital One Financial cards, things may change slowly over time??? :sleepy:It would be great to see Capital One Financial include prime customers along with sub-prime so we wouldn't have to close our accounts and find a different bank!
12 years 3 months ago #4

Replied by Mary McKercher on topic Re: Capital One Credit Steps

I am getting ready to call Cap one though I might ask one more time before I call if any has requested an increase from them before the first credit steps increase?

I did 6 wks prior to 1st step increse....DENIED
12 years 3 months ago #5

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Capital One Credit Steps

And you know it, I am a witness. Even though they haven not given me a cli in a while, and jacked up my apr, I still have faith in this company. I strongly agree with you bro!
14 years 7 months ago #6

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Capital One Credit Steps

Wanderer, sorry to hear about your bad experiences but believe it or not, Capital One will be on the one of the few banks that will be there for you. They have treated me better than BoA and Chase.
14 years 7 months ago #7

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:
14 years 7 months ago #8

NOT impressed! Received a Capital One Platinum MasterCard on the credit steps program with 7.9% interest on purchases with 15.9% CASH and a $19.00 AF. The steps moved me to $750.00. Called and asked why no more increases so they pulled hard from the bureau and said I had a BK 9/2001 and denied me. Closed the account after they increased the interest to 17.9% on purchases and 23.9% on Cash. I have solid big boy banks with real interest rates no AF and CL's of $13.5K from Chase. Cap One can go jump!!!:white-flag:
14 years 7 months ago #9
  • Jay1
  • Jay1's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Jay1 on topic Re: Capital One Credit Steps

The second is a rebuilder card as well. The same thing happened to me When I first got it about a month later I tried for the second card, a rep told me that you had to wait 45 day from the last app ( I think) you may want to call and they will tell you how long it has been and how long you need to wait for your next app.
14 years 8 months ago #10

Replied by Brian23 on topic Re: Capital One Credit Steps

Hello all I know it has been sometime since I posted, I have been super busy this summer. Anyway I got my credit steps increase in July to $750 called tonight and they said I would get another increase in Oct. to $1,000. I also applied for and got another Cap one card plan on transferring the balance from the Direct Rewards Discover to this card. The credit line on it though is only $200 does anyone have two Cap ones that are both on Credit Steps? I thought that was an really low limit for me now.

I only have 1. But question your 1st card is what type of card? And same with the 2nd? Are they the rebuilder cards? Cause I tried to apply for another a couple of months ago and I was completely turned down. Thanks...
14 years 8 months ago #11
  • Jay1

Hello all I know it has been sometime since I posted, I have been super busy this summer. Anyway I got my credit steps increase in July to $750 called tonight and they said I would get another increase in Oct. to $1,000. I also applied for and got another Cap one card plan on transferring the balance from the Direct Rewards Discover to this card. The credit line on it though is only $200 does anyone have two Cap ones that are both on Credit Steps? I thought that was an really low limit for me now.
14 years 8 months ago #12

Replied by ohwoody on topic Re: Capital One Credit Steps

I tried for a Capital One CLI before the credit steps took effect & got reee-jected,was told to wait until after the 4th statement,I waited & its on there now,went from $300 to $750.I was told that I have (2) more increases with the credit steps program,we will see.
14 years 11 months ago #13

hmmmm, Which card is that one? I thought the caps were $3k and $5k on the rebuilders, but I am pretty sure they are balancing it out every time we ask for an increase. I remember when I was told that my cap was $3k, but I have a $3,500 cl. So i guess it increases as our limit increases.:worried:
14 years 11 months ago #14
  • Jay1

Hello all called Cap1 to try to get the double whammy for the the CLI. Here is the verdict, and I quote" We don't have any offers for your right now, I do see that you are enrolled in our credit steps program, and you will get your first increase on your 4th statement." She also said that the card had a cap on the CLI of 1,000 but she said that can change? Any way hope I have saved some one else the trouble.:worried:
14 years 11 months ago #15