Moving out!

Replied by Ergonomic on topic Re: Moving out!

That's right. I am moving out! No more living with my parents in the suburbs. I got a place in the Peal District -- the northern of downtown Portland, Oregon. I'm 19 and fascinated with the idea of urban living. So I was fully approved for my apartment and will move the 28th. I don't have any rental history so I thank my credit report for acceptance. I couldn't have created such a track-record without the help of Finance Globe! Thanks everyone. It's going to be a whole new lifestyle for me, paying bills! Right now I have literally three bills! I will be losing one large one though... Car insurance! With Portland's MAX light rail, Streetcar, bus, and aerial tram I will be able to travel very efficiently in this area without a car. I get a free pass from work for all those mass transit systems ($80/month value). I am so excited!

Wish me luck,

Joey

hi Joey:

How are things going for you? Like yourself, I am in the process of buying my own home. Well, getting there at least :) Congratulations, I know how it feels to still be living with parents.. I am!
13 years 7 months ago #1

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Moving out!

Joeyman, when's the house warming party? :laugh:
13 years 8 months ago #2

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Moving out!

That is a nice view. You all would be shocked if I showed you my view, I can see the Bay Bridge and two other cities. You would not believe that we are dodgin bullets around here:laugh:
13 years 8 months ago #3

Replied by hanna on topic Re: Moving out!

Guys it's been great. I actually managed to find a really nice apartment. The building, developed by the Portland Housing Authority, provides an affordable way for individuals to get a place in an expensive urban environment. You must meet some income qualifications to live in my building. If you're unfamiliar, the Pearl District in Portland, is blocks of luxury condos with million dollar price tags; well my building happens to be up to standards with those. Although it may not have all the extensive interior finishes (like AC!) it blends very well. I have a one bedroom with a sweet balcony facing a nice urban park. I opted out of needing a vehicle after the move (used to live in the burbbbs) so I rely on the Portland Streetcar, Max Light rail, city bus, and my hospitals aerial tram. I have to say the Portland Streetcar is by far the best investment for Portland's mass-transit infrastructure. I get a pass for $18/month for all those services from my employer. I also bike to work often... As Portland is the 2nd most bike friendly city in the world (it's a bit ridiculous sometimes).

I'm actually working on a website right now for a guide to the Pearl District. I will defiantly share the link with everyone at the appropriate time.

Just bought myself a hot new Mac Mini! I'm using it now.

WOW!congratulations on the new apartment and Mac Mini. :cool: looking forward to that Pearl District guide you're working on. :cheesing:
13 years 8 months ago #4

Replied by Finance Globe on topic Re: Moving out!

Nice! It looks like you're on the path to a nice life. I'm glad to hear the experience has been good to you so far!

FG, I noticed we can't edit old posts? Just wondering why

You have 24 hours to edit a post. The reason for this is we had a member a couple of years ago that got mad at someone here. Well, he posted around 300 messages and deleted them ALL! This was a sabotage to the boards, and this is the only way to prevent this type of thing from happening again. Another reason is that if you were to edit a post after members replied to it, and it was edited drastically, it could certainly cause confusion.
13 years 8 months ago #5

Joeyman, glad to hear everything is working out for you and your hard work is paying off.

By the way, that's a great view!
13 years 8 months ago #6
  • Joeyman
  • Joeyman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

Replied by Joeyman on topic Re: Moving out!

FG, I noticed we can't edit old posts? Just wondering why.:fun:
13 years 8 months ago #7
  • Joeyman
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

A recent shot from the top of my hospitals aerial tram, click to view a full size image:

File Attachment:

http://www.portlandtram.org/

PS: On iPhone sorry for the low-quality.
13 years 8 months ago #8
  • Joeyman
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

By the way, I've managed my monthly budget with Mint.com very well since moving out on my own.

Use it. Love it. :embarrassed:
13 years 8 months ago #9
  • Joeyman
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

Guys it's been great. I actually managed to find a really nice apartment. The building, developed by the Portland Housing Authority, provides an affordable way for individuals to get a place in an expensive urban environment. You must meet some income qualifications to live in my building. If you're unfamiliar, the Pearl District in Portland, is blocks of luxury condos with million dollar price tags; well my building happens to be up to standards with those. Although it may not have all the extensive interior finishes (like AC!) it blends very well. I have a one bedroom with a sweet balcony facing a nice urban park. I opted out of needing a vehicle after the move (used to live in the burbbbs) so I rely on the Portland Streetcar, Max Light rail, city bus, and my hospitals aerial tram. I have to say the Portland Streetcar is by far the best investment for Portland's mass-transit infrastructure. I get a pass for $18/month for all those services from my employer. I also bike to work often... As Portland is the 2nd most bike friendly city in the world (it's a bit ridiculous sometimes).

I'm actually working on a website right now for a guide to the Pearl District. I will defiantly share the link with everyone at the appropriate time.

Just bought myself a hot new Mac Mini! I'm using it now. :cool: :cool: :cool:
13 years 8 months ago #10

Moving out has pro's and con's but if you can financially support yourself, it will be worth it in the long run.
13 years 8 months ago #11

Replied by Finance Globe on topic Re: Moving out!

Joeyman, how's it all working out so far?
13 years 8 months ago #12

Replied by hanna on topic Re: Moving out!

Congratulations Joeyman and good luck! Welcome to the world of indepedence. :)
13 years 10 months ago #13

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Moving out!

OMG!!!! :white-flag: :white-flag: :white-flag:
Way to go Joeyman!!!!!! It is going to feel like Heaven. I applaud you for moving out at a young age. I was 22 when I first left, came back at 24, left again at 26 and never looked back. Guess what happened???? She had to move in with me for a couple of years (which was really suppose to be a few months). I wound up leaving the apartment with her and came on back to San Francisco. I can not live with parents, no matter what the situation is at hand. I would rather live under a shelter before moving back! :relieved:
13 years 11 months ago #14

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Moving out!

That's right. I am moving out! No more living with my parents in the suburbs. I got a place in the Peal District -- the northern of downtown Portland, Oregon. I'm 19 and fascinated with the idea of urban living. So I was fully approved for my apartment and will move the 28th. I don't have any rental history so I thank my credit report for acceptance. I couldn't have created such a track-record without the help of Finance Globe! Thanks everyone. It's going to be a whole new lifestyle for me, paying bills! Right now I have literally three bills! I will be losing one large one though... Car insurance! With Portland's MAX light rail, Streetcar, bus, and aerial tram I will be able to travel very efficiently in this area without a car. I get a free pass from work for all those mass transit systems ($80/month value). I am so excited!

Wish me luck,

Joey

Congrats! Moving out is a great feeling.
13 years 11 months ago #15