Cell Phones and Credit

Replied by KMoney on topic Re: Cell Phones and Credit

Sprint has a nice data plan. I probably would have gone with AT&T though, but was afraid I'd run into the same issues as T-Moble, as they are both GSM. T-Mobile and AT&T have a roaming aggrement and I didnt pay roaming (in fact, who does anymore today). T-Mobile was my DF's thing anyway, and when my credit got better, I just had her account transferred to mine since I'm the sole breadwinner.

But it makes no sense to get a data plan. The carriers have to make money somehow, but it would have been a waste. I pay a lot for cable internet, and between work and home, I don't need to have In'net anywhere else. Plus, she likes simple phones (made my job a lot easier to get a free phone

I have never had a problem with AT&T and have been with them for a couple of years now. When I had Sprint it was always one thing after another to me they are the epitome of a big hot mess. I absolutely hated them. I am giggling at your comment about your wife liking things simple God knows I need to become more simplified LOL!!!!
14 years 9 months ago #1
  • CG101
  • CG101's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by CG101 on topic Re: Cell Phones and Credit

Sprint has a nice data plan. I probably would have gone with AT&T though, but was afraid I'd run into the same issues as T-Moble, as they are both GSM. T-Mobile and AT&T have a roaming aggrement and I didnt pay roaming (in fact, who does anymore today). T-Mobile was my DF's thing anyway, and when my credit got better, I just had her account transferred to mine since I'm the sole breadwinner.

But it makes no sense to get a data plan. The carriers have to make money somehow, but it would have been a waste. I pay a lot for cable internet, and between work and home, I don't need to have In'net anywhere else. Plus, she likes simple phones (made my job a lot easier to get a free phone :fun:. Her being a woman though....she wanted me to spend money, so I did the photo lineup and cut out the prices...told her she could pick whatever phone she wanted...when she picked a free one, I got that.....I told her she won't be able to tell the difference..... LOL).
14 years 9 months ago #2

Replied by Brian23 on topic Re: Cell Phones and Credit

Well my phone is a blackberry so my phone has to have the data plan. I am not sure about your question but I am thinking if you removed your data plan and then received an email alert, then you check it--I am thinking you may be charged for it. But call AT&T to find out for sure

I would have gone to At&t if they had remained cingular, but I cant stand them now since they merged. Theyre like this big gigantic monopoly company and I think their CS is horrible... I still like Sprint, wasnt such a fan of Nextel but glad they merged....
14 years 9 months ago #3

Hiiii Kmoney! same here, except for the rates. I am calling them in a minute to take away my data plan, it is no use and plus I use the PC at home everyday What ever site I did not search here, does not need to be searched anywheres else...lol. Hey but I wonder if there is a charge for when I have an email alert, and I look at it, does that consists of data also

Well my phone is a blackberry so my phone has to have the data plan. I am not sure about your question but I am thinking if you removed your data plan and then received an email alert, then you check it--I am thinking you may be charged for it. But call AT&T to find out for sure
14 years 9 months ago #4

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Cell Phones and Credit

Hiiii Kmoney! same here, except for the rates. I am calling them in a minute to take away my data plan, it is no use and plus I use the PC at home everyday What ever site I did not search here, does not need to be searched anywheres else...lol. Hey but I wonder if there is a charge for when I have an email alert, and I look at it, does that consists of data also:confused:
14 years 9 months ago #5

My first cell phone I had was with Sprint. I have to say they are the absolute worse
14 years 9 months ago #6
  • CG101

Before I had any credit score, I has to pay $150 up front for my plan. I was 19 at the time and had no credit cards or anything. I was with AT&T (Cingular then). My problem was that the service was spotty and customer service wasn't the greatest. If they saw that you had not paid your bill the day before the due date, they were calling you, wanting the money. I have T-Mobile now and I do like them a lot. I get great coverage in Northeastern Ohio.

Same here, except I think I was...21-22. Before that I had a pager that was job provided.

I would have stayed with T-Mobile, but DF was losing her signal everytime she called me and could never get a phone call coming through. It was time. Plus too....having Verizon means your credit really isn't that bad. LOL.
14 years 9 months ago #7
  • CG101

I definitely wouldn't mind smacking the ---- out of that nerd...just for laughs. LOL.
14 years 9 months ago #8

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: Cell Phones and Credit

Before I had any credit score, I has to pay $150 up front for my plan. I was 19 at the time and had no credit cards or anything. I was with AT&T (Cingular then). My problem was that the service was spotty and customer service wasn't the greatest. If they saw that you had not paid your bill the day before the due date, they were calling you, wanting the money. I have T-Mobile now and I do like them a lot. I get great coverage in Northeastern Ohio.
14 years 9 months ago #9

:fun:
14 years 9 months ago #10

That's alright, those little ugly people are watching you while you are in the shower too, little do you guys know

"Can you hear me now" just popped in my head lmao...
14 years 9 months ago #11

That's alright, those little ugly people are watching you while you are in the shower too, little do you guys know. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"DEAD ZONE CORRECTORS"
14 years 9 months ago #12
  • CG101

I think Verizon is great, but the last time I applied for their phone they wanted a ridiculous 750 deposit and Sprint wanted nothing... I should give it a try now though since my sprint contract is coming up for renewal in oct...

If your credit score is at least 650, you SHOULD be able to get it, sans deposit. Expect Experian to be pulled, as it was for me. Plus if you're going to wait until October, it should definitely be sans deposit.

I got the Nationwide Select plan with the least amount (I believe 450), as opposed to the unlimited. She mostly calls me on my lease, ehhh I mean phone, and I didn't need (currently) a second line, though I could have had that too. When she calls me at the office, it's usually for about 5-10 minutes anyway. Though I think now, I will tell her to call me on the cell.
14 years 9 months ago #13

I think Verizon is great, but the last time I applied for their phone they wanted a ridiculous 750 deposit and Sprint wanted nothing... I should give it a try now though since my sprint contract is coming up for renewal in oct...
14 years 9 months ago #14
  • CG101

I started with Sprint back in 2000. I got them because my parents moved out of state and they had a national plan. Not many carriers back then did. Plus, because my credit was crap, I had to pay I believe $125.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately because their CS always sucked), because I had lost my job a few years back I had let it go to collections. It wouldn't hit my credit report until a couple of years ago (when I was full swing in credit repair). I got them off but I'm sure that Sprint would not have me as a customer until I paid the chargeoff (which, hey, isn't going to happen).

Verizon has the best voice coverage though, hands down, but they are a bit pricey compared to AT&T and T-Mobile (especially T-Mobile...they are cheap for a reason....their coverage blows!). Plus, it literally was only a few years ago when that guy in the store wanted a $1000 deposit for a Verizon cell phone. So it felt kinda good. Since a good number of people have VZW, including me, it made sense to get it so that we won't spend any minutes anyway. Plus, after two years, I should be able to negotiate a better plan for the same amount so that they won't fear of churning me. I don't care about the phone, just the service.
14 years 9 months ago #15