To Move or NOT To Move......

Replied by Finance Globe on topic Re: To Move or NOT To Move......

Thanks Rockin35,

That's nice of you to say that. I'm very glad I could help.
15 years 1 month ago #1
  • Rockin35
  • Rockin35's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Rockin35 on topic Re: To Move or NOT To Move......

Mr.FG (Site Admin), you should become a "Super Analyst" for some Fortune 1000 Company or something. These are some very valid points to ponder. I must say, when the opportunity presented itself to me, I was all smiles when I heard "Miami Florida". All I could think about was palm trees and sandy beaches but then reality sat in, and I read some of the demographics and employment rates/median incomes- similar to what Colonative talked about in his posted response. I also thought about all those Hurricanes and the weather. Anyways, thanks for your insight and post. Rockin35!:cool:
15 years 1 month ago #2

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: To Move or NOT To Move......

Hello,

I put this question to my good friends on the Finance Globe Network board.... If you were offered a new job (I know even in this bad economy) and were told that you had to relocate at your expense, "What do you think is a good starting income for Miami FL regardless of the field?" Rockin35!

Miami????? Lucky! The economy in Miami is not that great, it has been one of the hardest hit areas of the housing crisis. You could save on a house/condo though.

This is from Wikipedia]per capita income[/URL] for the city was $15,128. About 23.5% of families and 28.5% of the population were below the poverty line , including 38.2% of those under age 18 and 29.3% of those age 65 or over."

Keep in mind though, Miami is deverse. You have the wealthy and the very poor in the city so those average incomes could be skewed. Now if you are talking Coral Gables, Miami Beach or Aventura then I would expect you would need to make a heck of a lot more then $20-25K.

Palm trees, the beach, ahhhhh. :cool:
15 years 1 month ago #3

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: To Move or NOT To Move......

I agree with FG!
15 years 1 month ago #4

Replied by Finance Globe on topic Re: To Move or NOT To Move......

There's also the risk of the unknown. Here are some questions I would ask myself:
  • Does this job have a stable outlook? Is this guaranteed to be here for you for say the next 5 years?
  • What will I be giving up by moving? I.E. Family, friends, schools, environment, etc
  • With the pay / cost of living differences, what is the real reward for taking this new position
  • Will this job better or worsen your longer term career outlook?
  • Is the economy in Miami better than where you are now? If I were to move in these times, I would go to a place that has a stable economy.
Just some thoughts, hope this helps!
15 years 1 month ago #5
  • Rockin35

Replied by Rockin35 on topic Re: To Move or NOT To Move......

Yeah, I thought about housing too. With everything gone "bust" these days there's no telling what I'll find. I asked that question to my sisters who've been all over the country, both were in the military, one is still active in the AirForce and with her degree she makes a fairly decent yearly income. She told me at least 36K as a minimum, ideal would be 48K and over.

Just wanted to get other opinions and insight thats all.

Thank you both for responding. Rockin35!:cool:
15 years 1 month ago #6

Replied by eugene66 on topic Re: To Move or NOT To Move......

The average annual pay for Miami FL with the cost of living in the equation is 32k so you probably would start with that scale.
15 years 1 month ago #7

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: To Move or NOT To Move......

I can't relate to your question but one of things you have to think about is housing.
15 years 1 month ago #8
  • Rockin35

was created by Rockin35

Hello,

I put this question to my good friends on the Finance Globe Network board.... If you were offered a new job (I know even in this bad economy) and were told that you had to relocate at your expense, "What do you think is a good starting income for Miami FL regardless of the field?" Rockin35!
15 years 1 month ago #9