• FrankN
  • FrankN's Avatar Topic Author
  • Blogger & Researcher
  • Blogger & Researcher

Replied by FrankN on topic Best tricks and tips to pay off your student loans

How long did it take you to learn that?
6 years 1 month ago #1

Replied by JGibbs on topic Best tricks and tips to pay off your student loans

Wanderer wrote: JGIBBS back in 1999-2000 when I was out of work the state I reside in utilized Dislocated Worker funding and helped me attend school for computers and programming. The state's view was at the time that this field will only grow and if you have the aptitude for it go into it. Now I see Systems Engineers, Programmers and Independent Consultants regularly earning in the high $80+Ks to $180+K regularly. What to say?! Amazing the earnings I see by the people on the MyFico website that work in the field as it seems unreal to me.

That's so amazing. Good on you for tackling programming. I think it's a hard subject. Quite a few states have started investing in their workforce. In my area teachers have their loans forgiven for teaching in an impoverished community for two years. They're also given a stipend for living expenses.
6 years 2 months ago #2
  • FrankN
  • Blogger & Researcher
  • Blogger & Researcher

It was a tough 2 years as the job was difficult and the place was not well managed, but it was still 100% worth it
6 years 2 months ago #3

Replied by Moneyes on topic Best tricks and tips to pay off your student loans

FrankN wrote:

Moneyes wrote: If you get a degree in the medical field, you will get a job in that field. It's all but guarenteed. There has been a shortage in that field for as long as I can remember.

My wife had her school paid for but the grant required her to work 2 years in underfunded hospital.

I have heard of that before. I think it's a great idea. It is a win for the hospital as well as a win for the student. This is something I will be looking into for my daughter as well.
6 years 2 months ago #4
  • FrankN
  • Blogger & Researcher
  • Blogger & Researcher

Moneyes wrote: If you get a degree in the medical field, you will get a job in that field. It's all but guarenteed. There has been a shortage in that field for as long as I can remember.

My wife had her school paid for but the grant required her to work 2 years in underfunded hospital.
6 years 3 months ago #5

Replied by Wanderer on topic Best tricks and tips to pay off your student loans

JGIBBS back in 1999-2000 when I was out of work the state I reside in utilized Dislocated Worker funding and helped me attend school for computers and programming. The state's view was at the time that this field will only grow and if you have the aptitude for it go into it. Now I see Systems Engineers, Programmers and Independent Consultants regularly earning in the high $80+Ks to $180+K regularly. What to say?! Amazing the earnings I see by the people on the MyFico website that work in the field as it seems unreal to me.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Wanderer.
6 years 3 months ago #6

Moneyes wrote: If you get a degree in the medical field, you will get a job in that field. It's all but guaranteed. There has been a shortage in that field for as long as I can remember.

I'm not sure it would be worth it to become a nurse or any type of support staff. I say that because hospitals have privatized and cut staff down to the bare bones. Nurses have too many patients to care for. Plus, people seem to be getting heavier and heavier, so I'm sure it's taxing.
6 years 3 months ago #7

Replied by Moneyes on topic Best tricks and tips to pay off your student loans

If you get a degree in the medical field, you will get a job in that field. It's all but guarenteed. There has been a shortage in that field for as long as I can remember.
6 years 3 months ago #8

Replied by JacksonM on topic Best tricks and tips to pay off your student loans

JGibbs wrote: I have to pass a for-profit college on my way to work and I find it remarkable that people are still signing up for it. The parking lot is always full even though tuition is expensive. I don't see how those students will ever pay off their loan. Are these students eligible for government backed grants and loans? I thought they were, but it's been so long since I filled out FASFA and shopped schools that I'm not sure.

For-profit colleges are the biggest legal bait-and-switch I've ever seen. For-profits can and do receive federal funds. Up to 90% of their funding can come from federal programs. One of my friends went to a for-profit technical school. He's a rarity in that he found a job in his field and spent the last 10 years working his way up. Usually, if someone even makes it to graduation, the degree is useless, though you can argue that's true for most college degrees these days.
6 years 3 months ago #9
  • FrankN
  • Blogger & Researcher
  • Blogger & Researcher

Wanderer wrote: FrankN the woman I am referring to in my post just sold her house when you was married recently (moved into her new spouse's house) and was able to take cash from the house sale proceeds to pay off the student loans. She was one of the more fortunate ones but, not everyone can do that.

Glad she had that opportunity and was smart to pay off her student loans as well.
6 years 3 months ago #10

Replied by Wanderer on topic Best tricks and tips to pay off your student loans

FrankN the woman I am referring to in my post just sold her house when she was married recently (moved into her new spouse's house) and was able to take cash from the house sale proceeds to pay off the student loans. She was one of the more fortunate ones but, not everyone can do that.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Wanderer.
6 years 4 months ago #11

Oh, I see what you mean JacksonM. That's not what I initially pictured from your earlier comment which was students being offered a loan beyond tuition, books, the cost of living in the area, and other related fees. I just misunderstood. What you described is how it worked when I was in school too.

I have to pass a for-profit college on my way to work and I find it remarkable that people are still signing up for it. The parking lot is always full even though tuition is expensive. I don't see how those students will ever pay off their loan. Are these students eligible for government backed grants and loans? I thought they were, but it's been so long since I filled out FASFA and shopped schools that I'm not sure.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by JGibbs.
6 years 4 months ago #12

Replied by JacksonM on topic Best tricks and tips to pay off your student loans

JGibbs wrote:

JacksonM wrote:

FrankN wrote: When I was offered a loan, I only took what I needed to cover the year, including books.

I thought they only gave you enough to get by. I'll admit it's been a long time since I was in school and I didn't borrow for undergrad. But, I thought the loan only covered the absolute necessities and could't really be mismanaged that much since most went straight to the school. I think school kids realize they're going to be in debt, but I also think that they're lead to believe that holding a college degree means they'll get a great job with a great salary. So, of course, they'll be able to pay the money back in no time at all.

It's pretty easy to mismanage school loans. If I recall right, I was offered more initially than what I ended up accepting. I'm sure quite a few students took the full amount offered. I knew a handful of people who lived off of their loan money.

The school does get paid first, but once they've taken what's owed, they pass the remaining balance off to the student. At least, that's how mine worked.

6 years 4 months ago #13
  • FrankN
  • Blogger & Researcher
  • Blogger & Researcher

Wanderer wrote: Following on your comments ... I know a 63 year old woman who still owes $22,000 (how is she going to repay?). To add new information, back in the early years 1950's to at least the 1970's an attitude existed that the student loans are government backed and the governement won't pursue repayment (which was true for a long time). Today, the government is collecting the old student loans by taking part of the retiree's Social Security Benefits. The thought for the day "there is no free ride"!

Thats crazy! The system is obviously broken now or atleast extremely flawed.
6 years 6 months ago #14

JacksonM wrote:

FrankN wrote: When I was offered a loan, I only took what I needed to cover the year, including books.

I thought they only gave you enough to get by. I'll admit it's been a long time since I was in school and I didn't borrow for undergrad. But, I thought the loan only covered the absolute necessities and could't really be mismanaged that much since most went straight to the school. I think school kids realize they're going to be in debt, but I also think that they're lead to believe that holding a college degree means they'll get a great job with a great salary. So of course they'll be able to pay the money back in no time at all.

6 years 6 months ago #15