What does your portolio consist of?

Replied by FrankN on topic Re: What does your portolio consist of?

It is my opinion, Clearwire has not been a must need for Sprint. Sprint has been competing with AT&T and Verizon through price. I do not necessarily think Clearwire will go out of business, but it isn't a must need for Sprint to survive.
8 years 1 month ago #1

Replied by Cents on topic Re: What does your portolio consist of?

hjm331 wrote: If Sprint is going to stay in business, they need Clearwire. The only way Sprint is going to be able to compete against AT&T and Verizon is by offering unlimited data. They're offering a value proposition and more consumers are seeing that and making the switch to Sprint on a daily basis. In order to keep offering unlimited data, Clearwire needs to stay in business. Sprint won't let them fail.

What's the general consensus on this three years later? Did HJM have the right idea? I don't know anything about Clearwire, but I do know that Sprint has been picking up more and more customers in my area and they are, in fact, offering unlimited data.
8 years 1 month ago #2
  • hjm331
  • hjm331's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: What does your portolio consist of?

I've done A LOT of research on Clearwire and it's a no brainer.

Assets- No one has more spectrum than Clearwire. Even if they were to file bankruptcy, their shareholders would be able to make a profit from spectrum sales. Sounds like a win-win situation to me.

Debt- They're in debt because they're building their network which is set to be ready by mid next year. Once they start signing wholesale agreements, they will have revenue coming in and will be able to pay down their debt.

Customers- Clearwire's main focus isn't in retail. It's in wholesale. They're all about signing contracts with large companies who need high-speed, wireless broad to run their operations. Let's take Dish for example. Consumers are starting to watch their movies and shows on the internet, either at home or on the go. Not as many people are watching their movies and shows on a TV set. Dish finally got with the program and decided to invest in a "wireless partner". Even though they haven't public announced this "wireless partner", all signs point to Clearwire. I mean, what other company other Clearwire would be able to meet the needs of broadband hungry applications? You can find a lot of articles that about Dish's investment in a "wireless partner."

Sprint & Dish- Sprint and Dish are investing in Clearwire for a reason and they know what they're doing. By investing, Clearwire will allow them to use their 4G LTE network when it's ready next year. There are rumors going around that Apple and DirecTV will be investing in Clearwire as well. The majority of cable companies have partnered with Verizon. Dish and DirecTV aren't going to want to partner with AT&T or Verizon because they're competition. Both companies offer high speed wireless broadband services. Who doesn't offer high speed wireless broadbad services on a national level? Sprint. And who's broadband network does Sprint operate on? Clearwire.

Even though Dish already owns some spectrum, they're aware of the cost of and time it's going to take for them to build an LTE network of their own. That's why they prefer to operate on Clearwire's network.

If Sprint is going to stay in business, they need Clearwire. The only way Sprint is going to be able to compete against AT&T and Verizon is by offering unlimited data. They're offering a value proposition and more consumers are seeing that and making the switch to Sprint on a daily basis. In order to keep offering unlimited data, Clearwire needs to stay in business. Sprint won't let them fail.
11 years 7 months ago #3

Replied by Joeyman on topic Re: What does your portolio consist of?

All my investing goes into websites I own. Upgrading website content is my highest priority, I typically design & code while paying someone to write the content. By upgrading content I get better traffic and that equals more advertising revenue.

I do, however, have a retirement from my job in healthcare. It's a Fidelity thing... Not really sure what they do, but it says it's worth $7k right now.
11 years 8 months ago #4

Replied by Joeyman on topic Re: What does your portolio consist of?

Not having much capital, I guess you can say I'm 100% invested in a single company. That company is clearwire. I'm not going to go into all the details but I'm very confident in their business model and their position in the telecommunications market.

Hi Hjm,
I clearly understand your desire to invest, but I don't recommend investing in Clearwire. The idea is strong but they cannot keep up with technology, particularly because they lack a large customer base.

Last I checked Clearwire has already occurred a substantial amount of debt ($800 million?). Sprint has been hiding the debt to makes things look clean. Also a couple of days ago rumors came about; Dish Network may have purchased $400 million of the Clear debt for part ownership.

Sprint is described to have been "keeping its subsidiary [Clear] alive on handouts."

Sprint does seem to have strong faith in the company, however. This may a counter to AT&T and Verizon. We'll see. Be careful with this investment.
11 years 8 months ago #5
  • hjm331
  • hjm331's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

was created by hjm331

Hey everyone, I think it would be great and beneficial to everyone if we shared some of our success with trading in this thread. This would be helpful to someone who is new to investing or looking for an ETF with large gains.

From what I've learned, a smart move would be to diversify your portfolio with various types of investment such as ETF's, options, mutual funds, real estate, etc. Do you believe this? Do you have a diverse portfolio? Let's sound off!

Not having much capital, I guess you can say I'm 100% invested in a single company. That company is clearwire. I'm not going to go into all the details but I'm very confident in their business model and their position in the telecommunications market.
11 years 8 months ago #6