Brexit

• FrankN
  • FrankN's Avatar Topic Author
  • Blogger & Researcher
  • Blogger & Researcher

Replied by FrankN on topic Brexit

Goldbug wrote: A lot of the planned moves seem to have stopped after the LSE and German exchange's merger was blocked by regulators.

HSBC is the Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation, which has already got most of its operations based in Hong Kong and Shanghai, so moving to Shanghai is not really a shock for them. I thought they were already headquartered out of it, and I think a lot of their customers thought the same. I was more surprised to find out they were technically London-based.

I just think this is really going to end in disaster. I am not bullish on this at all.
6 years 11 months ago #1

Replied by Goldbug on topic Brexit

A lot of the planned moves seem to have stopped after the LSE and German exchange's merger was blocked by regulators.

HSBC is the Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation, which has already got most of its operations based in Hong Kong and Shanghai, so moving to Shanghai is not really a shock for them. I thought they were already headquartered out of it, and I think a lot of their customers thought the same. I was more surprised to find out they were technically London-based.
7 years 1 week ago #2

Replied by Moneyes on topic Brexit

Curry wrote:

Wanderer wrote: HSBC was looking at Shanghai for headquarters and Barclays? Good point.

I, personally, will look more into that rumor. I have an account with Barclays. I don't know if I like the idea of them being headquartered in China.

If you do, and it's online, check into it during off-peak hours. Barclays has a lot of members and I'm sure they share your sentiments.
7 years 1 week ago #3

Replied by Curry on topic Brexit

Wanderer wrote: HSBC was looking at Shanghai for headquarters and Barclays? Good point.

I, personally, will look more into that rumor. I have an account with Barclays. I don't know if I like the idea of them being headquartered in China.
7 years 1 week ago #4

Replied by Wanderer on topic Brexit

HSBC was looking at Shanghai for headquarters and Barclays? Good point.
7 years 3 weeks ago #5
  • FrankN
  • Blogger & Researcher
  • Blogger & Researcher

I have also heard over several financial institutions move their UK/Europe headquarters out of the UK.
7 years 3 weeks ago #6

Replied by Goldbug on topic Brexit

FrankN wrote: It should be very interesting to watch. I still see some volatility over the next few months while this all shakes out.

Well, it is shaking up some companies. Apple and Microsoft have announced their increasing prices on UK sales to make up for the low pound, but a few of the Forex commentators are saying the worst is already priced into the pound's value and it might be a good time to invest over there.
7 years 1 month ago #7
  • FrankN
  • Blogger & Researcher
  • Blogger & Researcher

It should be very interesting to watch. I still see some volatility over the next few months while this all shakes out.
7 years 8 months ago #8

Replied by Curry on topic Brexit

Now that things have settled down, we have an opportunity. That is, to learn from from a once in a lifetime happening. There are a lot of financial aspects to this that people will take something out of, depending on their own standing and place in the financial world.
7 years 9 months ago #9

Replied by patse on topic Brexit

Breakinger wrote: I'm not sure how it will impact the market in the long-run, but it seems like the market has dipped already. I'm just wondering if this is going to have an impact on other factors such as hiring or currency?

I have seen the dip in the market too. I imagine it will recover though. My first thought was about currency rates. I never thought about the issue with hiring.
7 years 9 months ago #10

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Brexit

I think it will have a long term impact, but then again, so will our election this year. I've been hearing that Brexit may never officially go through even though the majority voted to leave.
7 years 9 months ago #11
  • FrankN
  • Blogger & Researcher
  • Blogger & Researcher

I definitely think it will, especially for large companies who operate globally.
7 years 9 months ago #12

Replied by Breakinger on topic Brexit

I'm not sure how it will impact the market in the long-run, but it seems like the market has dipped already. I'm just wondering if this is going to have an impact on other factors such as hiring or currency?
7 years 9 months ago #13
  • FrankN
  • Blogger & Researcher
  • Blogger & Researcher

Brexit was created by FrankN

What is everyone's thoughts on the Brexit? How do you think this will impact the markets short-term and long-term?
7 years 9 months ago #14