What's the purpose of a card like Macy's anyway?

Replied by honeyb on topic Re: What's the purpose of a card like Macy's anyway?

Meya,

They are looking for you to spend annually the range of the level you are on at Macys. What I would recommend for people to do is when they contact CS, have them to explain the process in detail because that is the way it was explained to me by CS. Maybe I had a good one that day or I was paying attention. I have talked to a few people who I know that became stumped on these rules after they got the card and found out it is not your standard upgrade. My question to them was, "did the rep explain these rules to you", their response was either "no" or "if they did I wasn't paying any attention because she said so much". LOL

Yes, Visa is accepted everywhere however, you will get 2 bills (not one) based on where you shop. So, if you shop at Macy's you will get a bill for that and if you eat at Red Lobster will get a bill for that.

From what I have gathered, if you are spending heavily to maintain that Visa status then this should not be an issue. If you are not and you are someone who relies on the "Visa" logo as some assurance, you will be disappointed when they drop your Visa status.
15 years 5 months ago #271

Replied by Meya on topic Re: What's the purpose of a card like Macy's anyway?

Hjm, if you apply for another card, I will cut your finger off personally!:fun:

Honeybe, I do believe you on that part, Macy's do like to see some spending going on, that is why they send us all these coupons and change our card status upon how well we spend with them. But what they should understand is that the Visa is able to be used every were Visa is accepted. They want us to use that card to shop with them also? Or, are they looking for heavy charges elsewhere, which will be considered as a heavy spender? :worried:
15 years 5 months ago #272

Replied by honeyb on topic Re: What's the purpose of a card like Macy's anyway?

Another thing to think about with the Macy's Visa is that you MUST maintain your current card level spending. This means that if you are upgraded to a Visa on the Platinum level, you MUST maintain the spending range for that level or you will lose your Visa status.:worried:

This is not your standard store card upgrade like Target or BestBuy. It is not an upgrade you get to sit on it or as we say 'round here "sock-drawer", they expect you to spend annually (with a smile or frown) on whatever level you are on at the least.
15 years 5 months ago #273

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: What's the purpose of a card like Macy's anyway?

I was thinking of applying for the Macy's Visa next month when but I changed my month because I don't think it will be a card I would use. I'm assuming that it would have a high interest rate and the way their online card management is, no thanks.
15 years 5 months ago #274

Replied by Meya on topic Re: What's the purpose of a card like Macy's anyway?

Yeah, you are correct! That is why I am thinking that maybe I have not been upgraded to the Macy's Visa is because it is by citi. I should been upgraded to the card that Kiejon was talking about, but I am still with the beginner card. Hummm! OH well, I guess they will show me some love by Xmas, because I am calling in while at the store for another cli...lol.

Thanks mousepad, this will be a helpful thread when someone else needs to know. I am just wondering why do Macy's use citi for its visa, and they finance their own regular card? That just seem odd to me, do you think that citi is going to soon finance their regular store cards? Well guess what? I ain't scured now, let citi bring it own, I stood up to them once before, and I will do it again (with FG help:laugh:)!
15 years 5 months ago #275

Mousepad, you have a good point there, thanks for bringing it up.
15 years 5 months ago #276

Replied by mousepad on topic Re: What's the purpose of a card like Macy's anyway?

i asked for a visa upgrade and i had to wait 4 weeks just to be told i have to wait 90 days cause i apped for a citi card 2 weeks before i asked so that tells me that the macys visa and citi are very linked.
i could be wrong.
15 years 5 months ago #277

I heard that Citi only provides funding and allows DSNB to manage both cards. I could be wrong though.
15 years 5 months ago #278

Replied by mousepad on topic Re: What's the purpose of a card like Macy's anyway?

In 2005 Federated finalized an arrangement with CitiGroup to sell its consumer credit portfolio, reissuing its cards under the Federated-CitiGroup Alliance name Department Stores National Bank (DSNB) and allowing Federated to continue servicing the credit accounts from its Financial, Administrative and Credit Services Group
15 years 5 months ago #279

Why only the Macy's Visa?

yes its like that but heres the catch
macys controls and manages the store cards by macys rules
the macys visa is managed by macys but under citi rules
thats why on the store cards the cl grows with time and usage and the visa card is controlled just like any other citi card.
thats why there are 2 accounts on one card and two accounts that show up on your credit report.
if you ever call cs thats why they cant see whats on the visa side of your card and they have to transfer you to macys/citi.
15 years 5 months ago #280

Replied by RivasGlo on topic Re: What's the purpose of a card like Macy's anyway?

Lucky you!

They wont approve me for any of their MC's, I tried the Staples CC over a yr ago... also denied... I forgot what else but also DENIED!

I cant even get my toenail in. HAHA. Lame.
15 years 5 months ago #281

I have two toes in with Citi right now. I have the Macy's card and the Citi secured mastercard. :cheesing:
15 years 5 months ago #282

Replied by RivasGlo on topic Re: What's the purpose of a card like Macy's anyway?

Why only the Macy's Visa? :dumbfounded: The reg Macy's Card is also issued/financed by Citi.
15 years 5 months ago #283

you will need the macys visa to get in with citi
i found that out that hard way.
15 years 5 months ago #284

I need to get me this Macy's card so I can get my toe in the door with Citi. LOL.

Maybe next time in the store ill have the guts to do it :fun:
15 years 5 months ago #285