Amex Credit Card or Delta or Others ?

• paladinckm
  • paladinckm's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by paladinckm on topic Re: Amex Credit Card or Delta or Others ?

Thanks to all the guys.
I have applied for DiscoverIT card and got approved] (0% APR, 0% balance transfer for 14 months and 19.99% later)[/B] for a creditlimit statisfying my mark(not sure whether we can disclose this or not) .
I saw the there is a link to submit our review or experience, I shall be happy to write the details, can any one send me the link.
Thanks once again.
11 years 2 months ago #1

Replied by AKCREDIT on topic Re: Amex Credit Card or Delta or Others ?

Thanks Wanderer,
Just yesterday a friend recommended DiscoverIT over Amex as i have high credit/debt ratio. (8000 balance out of 9800). He suggested to apply for Amex and then wait couple of weeks and apply for Discover to use their 0% balance transfer offer ( i just confirmed that there is a 3% fee though ). I am also pre-qualified for Capital One Prestige Platinum (accoridng to their prequalified link - donnow how reliable it is though )

Anybody has any suggestions on this ??

I recommend that you pay off your balances first (10%). That way you will get better chance of approval and get a better APR. Also your scores will increase by that time. I am rebuilding and I had a Chase account in the past and was charged off. Wont be off Credit report till July-13. I applied in Nov-12 and was denied because I had high balances (75%). I would stay away from Cap One as far as I can. They are a bad company and don't grow with you, besides you have some good prime cards.

As far as you want a card that will give you 5K CL. I know for a fact that the Chase Sapphire Preferred will give a minimum of 5K because its a Visa Signature or World MasterCard. You can choose any network you want, if Visa go to Chase's website and apply from there. If MasterCard apply from MasterCard's website. The card works 2-ways a cash back or rewards card. You can transfer points to some programs like United, Southwest, Hyatt, Marriott and more. Amex SPG is a good card too where you get hotel points and could transfer them to 30+ airlines or the SPG hotels. There are many benefits with this card too like free 5K miles when you transfer 20K points. Also you could transfer to Delta and get 5k free miles.

If you want 2 cards lets say Amex and Discover. Apply for them at the same day, that way no creditor will see what was pulled on that day till the very next day. I used this method last week and got my wife approved for Amex SPG and Chase Sapphire Preferred on the same day. If denied you can always call the reconsideration line for any credit card company.

I hope this help you out to choose a right credit card.
11 years 2 months ago #2
  • paladinckm

Thanks Wanderer,
Just yesterday a friend recommended DiscoverIT over Amex as i have high credit/debt ratio. (8000 balance out of 9800). He suggested to apply for Amex and then wait couple of weeks and apply for Discover to use their 0% balance transfer offer ( i just confirmed that there is a 3% fee though ). I am also pre-qualified for Capital One Prestige Platinum (accoridng to their prequalified link - donnow how reliable it is though )

Anybody has any suggestions on this ??
11 years 2 months ago #3

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Amex Credit Card or Delta or Others ?

Thanks to both of you for your insights.
yes I am looking more for costco rewards and I am also inclined to that.

SmCC

If you desire maximum flexibility the Chase Freedom Card, Discover IT, Citi Forward and the new US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card are top shelf and pay well. There are other good point based travel cards too. In reviewing cards American Express has higher APR's and less acceptability. That said, they have great customer service and their credit lines are healthy. Also, they really are picky about the quality of their card holders so more people would be rejected but today they have been pretty flexible. Note I know this was not what you wanted but I thought it needed to be offered as info.
11 years 2 months ago #4
  • paladinckm

Thanks to both of you for your insights.
yes I am looking more for costco rewards and I am also inclined to that.

SmCC: My other cards limits are less than 5K ( 3500 and 4500) so thats why I want some thing more than 5K .

so as per your suggestions. I can apply Costco card then ?
11 years 2 months ago #5

Replied by kdb030609 on topic Re: Amex Credit Card or Delta or Others ?

Your scores look good. I would think you have a good chance for either card. I would say the Costco card is the better card. Unless you do a lot of traveling. The Delta is the easier card to get in my experience. However the travel miles don't go that far towards reward travel on Delta. The Costco card is the better bet for the type of use your planning. The rewards are paid out the beginning of each year. Regardless of how much you accrue during the year. Even if its just a few dollars. The only place you can use your rewards check is at Costco however. You don't have to reach a certain amount to get rewards like with the delta skymiles card. Which with Delta it takes anywhere from around 20,000 - 50,000 skymiles for a reward flight one way. not considering the black out dates. I had the Delta Skymiles Gold card in the past. I canceled it last year in disgust because even the miles I had were not enough for one way. I couldn't use them because a round trip ticket you have to use miles for both flights. If you need an airline rewards card I would check out US Airways cards from Barclay's or the Chase United Airlines cards. I have both and haven't been disapointed with them. If you like shopping at Costco Then you'll like the card as it complements shopping there. As some may not know Costco only accepts Cash, Debit card, or AMEX card. My vote would be for the Costco AMEX it would seem to serve your needs better! I enjoy the rewards my costco card gives.
11 years 2 months ago #6

Replied by smcc811 on topic Re: Amex Credit Card or Delta or Others ?

Is their an objective to applying for your next card, i.e., rewards points, a more prestigious card, more lines of credit, etc. ? Personally, I would choose the Delta Card but I'm an AMEX Charge Card fan and have nothing but rave reviews for the company. You haven't applied for a card in the last 4 years and your auto loan is 28 months old so I would think approval would be a forgone conclusion. I will assume that your limits are healthy on the cards you presently have considering the $5K limit your seeking upon approval. Again, examine your reason why you want another card, take into consideration the perks and more importantly the Customer service that each card provides and I think the choice will be easy for you to make when the time comes.
11 years 2 months ago #7
  • paladinckm

Unfortunately No. Any idea on the options I mentioned ?
11 years 2 months ago #8

Replied by smcc811 on topic Re: Amex Credit Card or Delta or Others ?

Would you consider one of Amex's Charge Cards instead ?
11 years 2 months ago #9
  • paladinckm

was created by paladinckm

Hi all,
I have been using this forum as a guest and now decided to join the party .
I am looking to apply for a credit card ( hoping atleast 5K credit or near that), Currently, I have 3 cards (chase Slate, Citi and Firstnational Bank) I haven't applied for any credit card since 2009 but has taken a car loan in 2010 Aug. I never missed a payment on anything. Here are my stats as of yesterday.
I am more inclined towards True Earnings Card from Costco- Amex. But seeing the reviews of Delta Skymiles is making me to consider that as an option. I dont' want to get disappointed by applying to the wrong one after a long wait. So let me know what is best for me from your experience
Experian: 724
EQ-712
TU-724
Revolving Credit-to-Debt Ratio is 20/80

I am going to start a family and as a precaution want to apply for a Costco Card (preferable) or any other Amex or (other cards welcome too).Any great help will be appreciated in guiding me ..
P.S: I have been receiving many pre-qualified offers from CapitalOne, Dicover and Citi but not Amex :worried:
11 years 2 months ago #10