Ways to Save

Replied by patse on topic Ways to Save

Cents wrote:

Egghead wrote:
Sometimes eating lunch with colleagues is a social thing though, and avoiding every invite could cause you grief in the long term.

That's very true and I think there are occasions when it is warranted, but I'm thinking of the people who eat out every single day. These days, it's almost impossible to find a $5 lunch special and even if you could, that's still $25 a week. Most people who go out for lunch are spending more than that, though.

Of course there are times when you have to eat out for lunch. I do agree that you don't have to eat out often. I cringe when I have to eat out and cover the bill. I like it when my boss takes me out.
7 years 11 months ago #46

Replied by Cents on topic Ways to Save

Egghead wrote:
Sometimes eating lunch with colleagues is a social thing though, and avoiding every invite could cause you grief in the long term.

That's very true and I think there are occasions when it is warranted, but I'm thinking of the people who eat out every single day. These days, it's almost impossible to find a $5 lunch special and even if you could, that's still $25 a week. Most people who go out for lunch are spending more than that, though.
7 years 11 months ago #47

Replied by Egghead on topic Ways to Save

I think if I won the lottery I'd pay someone else to make my lunch everyday, (at home.) I will admit to buying coffee once a day, only because I have never found a leak proof container for drinks.

7 years 11 months ago #48

I agree that taking lunch to work is a great way to trim the fat. It's also healthier when you consider what the alternatives are for a quick lunch bought elsewhere. I've been packing my husband's lunch since we first started dating and even if we won the lottery, I would probably continue to do so.
7 years 11 months ago #49

Replied by FrankN on topic Ways to Save

I never understood co-workers who eat out and buy coffee everyday. It is such an easy expense to get rid off. If you do that for your career, you are savings thousands and thousands of dollars.
8 years 1 week ago #50

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Ways to Save

I also see people being wasteful and then complaining that they have no money. Of course you don't have extra money when you're going out to lunch everyday and stopping for coffee every morning. Making coffee and lunch at home would save big bucks at the end of a month.
8 years 3 weeks ago #51

That is a ridiculous amount to spend on water, especially in a country where it is completely safe to drink water from the faucet. This reminded me of someone I heard of at the other end of the scale. He would get any free refill on offer, soda, coffee, whatever, even when he'd had enough to drink, then save it for later.
8 years 3 weeks ago #52

I watch a lot of people I know spend money on things they could have saved big on and it drives me crazy. One great example is stopping at convenience stores to buy water when they're out. Why not fill reusable water bottles at home for everyone before leaving the house? There is a family of four I know of that routinely spends almost $8 on water every time they go somewhere. That's crazy!
8 years 4 weeks ago #53

Replied by patse on topic Ways to Save

Egghead wrote: There are lots of excellent tips here, and I plan to use several of them. (I try to put the money saved away somewhere - it's a good way to save if you are not relying on the cash to survive.)

I have been using the library more in the last few months, as I do like paper books, and could easily buy 2 or 3 a week.

I am doing the same, visiting the library. I buy a ton of books. I read them and then throw them away or donate them. It's saving me a lot of money by borrowing them instead.
8 years 1 month ago #54

There are lots of excellent tips here, and I plan to use several of them. (I try to put the money saved away somewhere - it's a good way to save if you are not relying on the cash to survive.)

I have been using the library more in the last few months, as I do like paper books, and could easily buy 2 or 3 a week.
8 years 3 months ago #55

Replied by 2darnbroke on topic Ways to Save

Work on cutting all variable expenses and you'll save a ton every single month. This includes groceries, utility bills, gasoline, entertainment, and anything else that depends on usage. Even if you're better off financially than I am, why spend more than you have to on consumable stuff?
8 years 3 months ago #56

Replied by Breakinger on topic Ways to Save

There are some really great tips here Mary. I have found that the most beneficial one, especially for a big family, is to cut out the adult gifts altogether. My family now only buys for the children and the rest gets spent on the meal. This has definitely saved us a lot of money and beats trying to find ways to reuse gifts that you really can't use in the first place.
8 years 3 months ago #57

I would agree with you 100% Unfortunately the way your telephone/internet providers make the most money is to upcharge your long-term customers, which seems counter-intuitive. You should reward your long-term customers, but they don't seem to do that.
8 years 4 months ago #58

Replied by Curry on topic Ways to Save

I will be taking my internet bill elsewhere in a month or so. I know I can get a better deal for 3 phone lines and a hot-spot device somewhere else. I've been with Verizon for years, but I just don't want to afford them right now. I probably can, but why pay more if I don't have to?
8 years 4 months ago #59

Thats great to hear Jordane. I promise you will notice a difference in your bank account! It takes time, but you will reap the rewards soon. Way to go!
8 years 4 months ago #60