Ways to Save

Replied by Wanderer on topic Ways to Save

Your hard on the Marketing Department! Your method kills "impulse buying" :)
7 years 2 months ago #16

Replied by Moneyes on topic Ways to Save

marylan73 wrote: OK here's mine:
I completely agree with Finance Globe on leaving things in my online shopping cart for at least a day - I can't count how many times I've come back and took nearly everything out.

That might be the best selling point there is for shopping online. You can't really do that in a store where impulse buys can ruin a bank account.
7 years 2 months ago #17

Replied by FrankN on topic Ways to Save

I tried Publix one, but could never figure out how to redeem cash/points
7 years 4 months ago #18

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Ways to Save

How about those apps where you upload a photo of your receipt and get money back? I've seen a couple of them, but I can't remember the names. Is anyone here familiar with these apps?
7 years 4 months ago #19

Replied by Moneyes on topic Ways to Save

ChrisB wrote: I
I
Some stores, like Target, have their own app now for saving in store. Have you considered giving these a second look?

There's an app for that! (One of my favorite sayings)
With the exception of those "bathroom wars" they had a while back, I like the way Target has shifted their business priorities. They seem to do well with adapting to the changing times.
7 years 5 months ago #20

I agree with Curry that you'd be hard pressed to find coupons for vegetables. That's a situation where you have to keep an eye on the weekly flyer and shop the sales. I always grab the more expensive vegetables, like asparagus and avocados, when they go on sale.
7 years 5 months ago #21

Replied by Curry on topic Ways to Save

Coupons for vegetables? Now that's something I have never heard of. Food that has a quicker expiry date than most foods, like veggies, dairy products and meats, usually go on sale when the expiry time is nearing.

Then again, I have never looked for coupons for vegetables so maybe that's why I have never seen them.
7 years 5 months ago #22

That is good to know. I find my wife and I like to have fresh vegetables so I wonder if I could find coupons for that.
7 years 5 months ago #23

FrankN wrote: Does anyone use coupons at grocery stores? I find myself spending a ton of groceries and feel like I could save more. Any tips?

I don't, but that's because I hardly ever come across coupons for brands I use. What I have been doing lately is shopping store sales more conscientiously. I used to just grab what I needed, but now I'm thinking ahead and stocking up and using my deep freeze when necessary. As an example, we cook a lot of shrimp around the holidays and I happened to notice a great sale recently. Now I have all the shrimp I need neatly tucked away in my freezer and I saved $30 at that sale. I was quite proud of that one. :D
7 years 5 months ago #24

No I will take a look. Are there any grocery stores that do that?
7 years 5 months ago #25

Replied by ChrisB on topic Ways to Save

I
I
Some stores, like Target, have their own app now for saving in store. Have you considered giving these a second look?
7 years 5 months ago #26

Does anyone use coupons at grocery stores? I find myself spending a ton of groceries and feel like I could save more. Any tips?
7 years 5 months ago #27

Replied by Medi on topic Ways to Save

amieestahl wrote: When I started out as a single parent, I had no choice but to cut corners wherever I could. I found that the biggest savings were with food costs. I began using the summer months to grow and pick produce. It is now a family tradition to go out berry picking. We get enough to have smoothies for the rest of the year. The added bonus, of course, is spending good family time together!

I was amazed when I realized how much I could save by switching my food plan to homemade style. The amount didn't seem that much at the beginning, but it showed after a while. I had to spend more time preparing the food and sometimes I ate the same menu for a few days, but it was not that bad.
7 years 5 months ago #28

That is a great way to look at ways to save and a great attitude! My mother said she did the same thing growing up.
7 years 5 months ago #29

Replied by amieestahl on topic Ways to Save

When I started out as a single parent, I had no choice but to cut corners wherever I could. I found that the biggest savings were with food costs. I began using the summer months to grow and pick produce. It is now a family tradition to go out berry picking. We get enough to have smoothies for the rest of the year. The added bonus, of course, is spending good family time together!
7 years 6 months ago #30