Lost Your Job

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Lost Your Job

6/17/2009
14 years 9 months ago #1

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Lost Your Job

The thing about my business is that you can't really find out what the problem is without attempting to fix it. There are just too many problems so sometimes there's no way we can give the customer the price based on what the problem is up-front because it could be something else that costs more or less. I guess it's an advantage to the customer but it's not in my hands so we just got to roll with it.
15 years 4 months ago #2

Good thing for customer satisfaction, but I do believe he know how much it was going to cost. Some will pull that on us quick, happens to me dang everyday. To eliminate that, all new customers are given an up front price because they know 9 out of 10 it is the same price in our segmented area. I know your company is going to be competitive to the next, people like him, who you don't see often (if at all), will pull that on us. I have a monthly plan that I don't share openly, but they are for my customer's who I know is on fixed income but wants the loyal treatment like those who can afford to pay.

Yes, I do have some that I just say, "OK, what do you have?" but I make sure they come when it is slow. Like today, I have 2 that are not able to pay much, but I will accept the change they give me. I call that, "A fast dime beats a slow dollar any day!" This is only because business was slow yesterday, today and..........Oh never mind, check day is always faster. It is going to be too many walk ins.:laugh:

I believe you done what was best for the company, and will not take that away from you, but we have to watch out for the cons. You put, time energy, and assured him durability, that should have said something to his "Hard-to-please" behind in the first place. Had you told me something like that, I would have paid you and returned. Some people does not understand the true meaning of customer satisfaction the way we do. Keep it up bro!
15 years 4 months ago #3

I had a customer bring-in two motors yesterday. One of them needed to be converted to 220V which is done by switching wires in the motor. We made sure that the motor was running smoothly. The customer came-in the morning, I explained what we had done with the motor and we told him that his total was $50. The customer went crazy and he said that the price was ridiculous. I told him that you might not understand how much time we put into this and we made sure that the motor was working perfectly so you won't have to bring it in for a second time. He didn't care so I told him how much would you like to pay? He told me that he can pay $40 so he busts his check book and I told him that you don't have $40 cash with you? He said "no" so I told him to give me $20 bucks cash.

The reason why I refused to take the check was that it could've been a bad check and it's a hassle tracing him down for the money that he owes.

He was just complaining about how our prices are too high and how we wouldn't do business with us again. The only thing I'm worried about is that he will ruin the reputation of my company for potential customers in the future.
15 years 4 months ago #4

:kiss: Lost for words! Luv ya bro, back at ya!
15 years 4 months ago #5

Meya, thanks for the encouragement. I admire your ability to balance work, school, and taking care of your family. Now that is something to feel good about because I don't know too many people that are on your level. :cheesing:
15 years 4 months ago #6

I know you understand because we are in the same boat. I also know that you have what it takes to keep them coming back. I am so proud of you, especially for someone to be your age, in a self employed business industry. I know it is rough, but it makes it better for you as time goes on. Hang in there bro, we know how the ups and downs can get us, but I do see a bright light when all of this madness is over with.
:relieved:
15 years 4 months ago #7

Meya, I agree with all of the above especially when a customer is unhappy with a certain employee. When a customer is unhappy with a certain employee, they blame the whole company and put in a bad word to others who are thinking of doing business with that certain company. That is why I always make sure that I don't mess up with the customers so they won't ruin the reputation of my company.
15 years 4 months ago #8

Good posting, but I sort of looked at it this way. While working in a salon, competition is based upon the main point, competitors of other salons. In the beginning, we all stuck together to keep our business well known and highly rated. If one stylist/barber goofed on a client, it is rare that you will hear the rumor "So and so messed up my hair" what you will hear is, "Don't go to [Styles Unlimited] because THEY will mess you up!" We all worked together and followed the rules (that was not mandatory from the state) which is what kept us with good professional business practice.

The crew that we had from 1994-2005 was the best, I worked hard to make sure that we were team players, and was consistent with advanced hairstyling (by attending hair shows and advance training). There were several salons in our demographic area, but none could touch us because we had that "magic touch." This new crew is from another planet, salon has become unethical, rowdy, too much profanity, jealousy, hatred, solicitation, thugs all in and around the doorway, and that is what type clientèle that it has become to attract. The new girl in there now, loves that type of crowd, that is why I begged the owner to give her a try.

I am taking my business skills that I have learned from my education, the rules and regulations that I have learned from state board, and I walking with it. It's been 14 years since I have first started there, and I felt this was going to be the outcome of that salon. This is why I made a plan to establish my own salon and change my career at the same time. I have learned enough knowledge about business to lower my chances of failing, and to promote a safe environment for my customers along with excellent customer service.

Although, I am targeting the corporate world, I never loss focus of my own salon. I always wanted to prepare myself for a fall-back or back-up plan, for when the economy gets crazy again or the unforeseen. I remember when people use to think I was crazy for going to school for business to change my career, they will see now.:laugh: I am not leaving the beauty industry, I just want to work in another business field and have my own salon. Can't style hair forever...lmao!
15 years 4 months ago #9

Meya, that's the nature of competition and employment. That's always a good thing because it'll keep employees performing at their best to make sure that they are not the ones that get cut. Sometimes, an employer brings in a new employee or two when he/she notices an increase in customers over a specific time to make sure that most of its customers don't go home unhappy due to lack of attention from the staff.
15 years 5 months ago #10

Dang, my situation is different. Everyone cramp their toes when a new person comes in the shop. I would hate it if someone here from my job see this, but, she is taking my space when I leave. I am turning all my clients over to her, and I know she can get down with some hair. I am just getting her feet's wet right now, because she has to build clients. But in the meantime I can feel the tension in the salon because walk-ins are turned to new stylist for the first 2 months unless they specifically ask for another stylist. They don't even give my girl props when she is done, even though they know she got down, all you see is eyes rollin! :fun:
15 years 5 months ago #11

I think it's a great idea for a company to offer an incentive for their employees who work hard and make sure everything is running smoothly. We all need a break sometimes.
15 years 5 months ago #12

Replied by RivasGlo on topic Re: Lost Your Job

AT Citigroup, we get a referral bonus of $1000 if the person stays 6 months. I think thats good.

That being said. I am thankful for my job even tho im not that fond of it. :fun: It gets the bills paid thats all that matters to me right now.

Sorry to all those who have experienced losing a job. My mother went through that and boy was that hard!
15 years 5 months ago #13

Replied by eugene66 on topic Re: Lost Your Job

I work in a hospital and the need for registered nurses here is off the chart. they are offering employees up to ten thousand dollars in referral bonuses to try to meet the demand and if they stay after one year even more.
15 years 5 months ago #14

Everyone, be thankful that you have a job no matter what the capacity or what the pay. Realize this, there are thousands of people who would do your job no matter what the pay in order to feed their family, pay their bills, etc.

I totally agree with that. :white-flag:
15 years 5 months ago #15