If you have American Express READ THIS

Replied by KMoney on topic Re: If you have American Express READ THIS

Thank you for posting your story and don't worry I don't think too many people are really interested in AMEX like they used to be
15 years 9 months ago #61

Replied by theo11 on topic Re: If you have American Express READ THIS

Here is my AMEX horror story: On 6/11, my limit was $5,000. I was right at my limit, so I paid $1,000 on the 11th and $1,050 on the 12th. A few hours later, I asked for a credit limit increase (to $10,000) online. I was denied. When I called CS on the 13th, they told me that they would not counter offer because of my credit report. Cool, no problem. I went on vacation on the 15th to Disneyworld (1,000 miles away) with my family with more than $2,000 to spend. After a couple of relatively small charges on the way down, I tried to charge $100 to get into an attraction and after two swipes, my card was declined twice. I called AMEX to "clear up the mistake." Much to my dismay, the CS Rep said that my credit limit had been LOWERED to $3,300. I have had this card for almost a year and started off with a $1,000 limit. I asked for an increase three months later to $5,000 and it was approved online. I have never been late on a payment and always paid well above the minimum payment that they asked for. The rep said that they appreciated that, but it was based on my other cards and their balances relative to their limits. After explaining my situation (vacation 1,000 miles from home), they extended me a "courtesy" of an additional $700 to "help me get home." I strongly believe my credit limit increase request prompted AMEX's action (lowering my limit). I guess the moral of the story is keep utilization low on ALL cards. My history with them meant little in the overall grand scheme of things. I have learned my lesson, and will pay down my balances on my other cards too. My goal is to get back to my $5,000 (and more) limit by the end of the year. Will report back later as things develop. Thanks, all.

FYI...Meya suggested I post this here, so here it is. Don't make the same mistake I did. Good luck, all.
15 years 9 months ago #62

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Need advice on American Express Cards

Great!
15 years 9 months ago #63

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: Need advice on American Express Cards

Now I understand!
15 years 9 months ago #64

Eldarwen, those cards aren't considered co-branded since Visa and Mastercard don't have cards of their own such as AMEX.
15 years 9 months ago #65

What probably counts as a co-branded cards for me is the Sears Mastercard and the Chase Amazon.com Visa.
15 years 9 months ago #66

The best AMEX cards to have right now are the co-branded ones right now that are offered by the other banks such as Citi and BOA.
15 years 9 months ago #67

Replied by cireone on topic Re: Need advice on American Express Cards

I was happy with my $2,000 CL from the Gold Skymiles, which was upgraded to Platinum, before it was lowered to $1,500. I guess the only true prestigious AmEx cards to have are the charge cards not credit.
15 years 9 months ago #68

I think I'm pretty happy with my $1,000 limit on my Delta Skymiles AMEX since I don't have to worry about a CLD. :cheesing:
15 years 9 months ago #69

Replied by mrrob on topic Re: Need advice on American Express Cards

Prior to my mishap a few years ago, I had 4 amex cards the Platinum charge card (it took me 2 years to obtain), Jet Blue card ($9,000 limit) and the Delta Skymiles($12,000), then I had the AMEX gold Corporate Card for my business. I was on vacation at Disney (Orlando) and went to use my Jet blue card to make a purchase which was declined. I called to find out what was going on and found out that my CL had been decreased because of some of my other cards having a high balances. AMEX is scary.
mrrob
15 years 9 months ago #70

I shall test drive my Clear card (when I get it). It does sound too good to be true, but they advertise it on the website.
15 years 9 months ago #71

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Need advice on American Express Cards

Hjm331, this is the card that I was talking about to you in the past. This is the only card that I want from them, but I was getting so scared listening to others results on the cld (credit limit decreasing). Opppa, a new short typing code.
:laugh:
15 years 9 months ago #72

I just checked the details on this card and you were right, it sounded too good to be true. Now I can't wait to convert me Delta Skymiles AMEX into the Clear card. Thanks for telling about me this card and I know I will try to take advantage of the no cash advance fees.
15 years 9 months ago #73

Yes I did.
15 years 9 months ago #74

Did you say no cash advance fees?
15 years 9 months ago #75