Possibly No More Gm ?

• smcc
  • smcc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

Replied by smcc on topic Re: Possibly No More Gm ?

How about this ? Let the big three falter, Have Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Porsche, Lexus, Headquarter here in the U.S. and have them to continue to make their upscale models but at the same time make models affordable for the everyday person

Since the big three always compare themselves to these auto makers why not let these auto makers just come and call it a life?
15 years 1 month ago #1

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Possibly No More Gm ?

As we all know, the president and vice president has put it out there on front line, that they better not let them find out that these companies are spending the money where they are not suppose to. Even if it is legally right to do so, they better make sure it is for exactly what they asked it for.
15 years 1 month ago #2

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Possibly No More Gm ?

Where's my allowance? I want my ownership in GM, BoA, Citi, and all the other companies that received my portion of tax funds.
15 years 1 month ago #3

Replied by Rockin35 on topic Re: Possibly No More Gm ?

Ya know this whole thing is a rotten mess!!! I'm almost tired of hearing how others have decided to spend MY money!! Jacked Up!!! Rockin35:upset:
15 years 1 month ago #4

There has def been a lot of discussion regarding GM over the last couple of days. They did receive a lot of money from the government (8.3 billion I believe) and let go 10,000 people within the last 2 months. If they filed Chap 7 liquidation, I would be really curious to see where the money the taxpayers are pickin up actually went too (obviously the Exec's and CEO's pockets).

I agree! Not to mention that on top of all of this, some of the CEO's bailed with the "golden parachute" and some.:upset:
15 years 1 month ago #5

Replied by Brian23 on topic Re: Possibly No More Gm ?

They will likely file a chapter 11 for reorganization and not liquidate.

That's true, but if they cant re-organize and start making a profit they will end up like Circuit City and just liquidate after that. And that's when the taxpayers will be picking up that lost investment.
15 years 1 month ago #6

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Possibly No More Gm ?

There has def been a lot of discussion regarding GM over the last couple of days. They did receive a lot of money from the government (8.3 billion I believe) and let go 10,000 people within the last 2 months. If they filed Chap 7 liquidation, I would be really curious to see where the money the taxpayers are pickin up actually went too (obviously the Exec's and CEO's pockets).

They will likely file a chapter 11 for reorganization and not liquidate.
15 years 1 month ago #7

Replied by Brian23 on topic Re: Possibly No More Gm ?

15 years 1 month ago #8

Replied by Espee on topic Re: Possibly No More Gm ?

As far as gas guzzling SUV's go...*Raises Hand* LOL. I am on my second Navigator, and i do agree...with you and millions more that Ford's quality rivals those of Asian design. I would not own one if it was not reliable. But it is in the eye of the beholder. My Navi gets milage that I personally can live with. I travel from the Cranberry Township/Mars Pa area to Conway Pa for work everyday. Its about 14 miles. And i get about 12mpg. But...its all surface roads/back roads to get there. However...if i go into Pittsburgh for anything the milage goes way up...almost 20-24mpg range. Heck my best friend and I drove from here to Colombus Ohio last year to see Avenged Sevenfold and it was a tank of gas out and a tank of gas back in my truck!!!

GM's are reliable, my dad is a GM guy, as well as most of my family...i seem to be the only outcast LOL. I think they are just TOO BIG!!!! They need too, as i said before, downsize and cutback. And if they run out of time and cant make the cut...then again "buh-bye". And i dont mean that to sound bad, and i totally understand that its hard to say goodbye to an american icon. But sometimes thats the facts of life. Heck, you wouldnt know it to see it...but the building i work in was built by the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1966. Now everywhere you look there is nothing but black engines that say Norfolk Southern on them. Occasionally you will still see a Conrail blue engine with a number patch. But if i was around back then i would never have believed the PRR would have died the way it did!!!!
15 years 1 month ago #9

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Possibly No More Gm ?

I love all four of my Toyotas.

However, I've always loved American Muscle cars and that's the only reason I would support American cars. I'm trying to get my hands on the 2011 Pontiac Trans Am. I'm not a mechanic nor do I know anything about working on cars, that's why I'll buy the new model instead of trying to restore the old model.
15 years 1 month ago #10

Oh so you want to clown on Toyota's hugh! I'll see you in the club buddie

Yeah, well, I think they are a bit overrated and overpriced. I like the Tacoma and the new (2007+) Camry, but I would never buy one new.
15 years 1 month ago #11

Colo...are you a GM guy???
But as much as i risk getting bashed for this...i am a firm believer in survival of the fittist! If they cant cut it...buh-bye!!!

Actually, I have only have had two cars in my life and both have been Chrysler products purchased brand new. I still own both actually and they have performed flawlessly. Though there is a new car coming out by Chevrolet called the Cruze and I am really liking it. They have some really good products now and more on the way. I agree, and they are ending Saturn and probably Hummer as well. And yes, Buick-Pontiac-GMC is redundant in the era we live in now; however, Buick is the best selling brand in China. GM does have a plan for B-P-G.
They are one of those companies that is "too big to fail" but you never know.

As far as the "can't cut it..buh-bye!!!" many share your thoughts. My point is that the Big 3 are an American icon, and American's are so quick to sell off or see our very few institutions die off. Many blame the Big 3 for only making gas guzzling SUV's and trucks, but yeah, people were buying them. And Ford has quality and reliability on par with Toyota and Honda.

I have nothing against foreign cars, though I do not care for Toyota's quest for world domination. I believe in supporting American companies is all. I would, if tempted, buy a used Toyota or Honda, but never a new one because that would help a forgeign business/government (despite where the vehicle is assemebled). Just my opinion-I know it is in the minority, but that is how I feel.
15 years 1 month ago #12

Oh so you want to clown on Toyota's hugh! I'll see you in the club buddie:fun:
15 years 1 month ago #13

Replied by Espee on topic Re: Possibly No More Gm ?

Colo...are you a GM guy??? LOL. I doubt that GM is going anywhere anytime soon. It depends on the news source that you read as to the possible outcome of the company. If for some reason GM files for Chap 11 protection, it does not necessarily mean that its going under. I think this is the wake up call that GM needed. They have to many duplicate models, to many plants, and as much as i hate to say this...to many employees.

There really is no need to have 2 of the exact same pickup trucks and SUVs in both the Chevy and GMC name. The best thing they can do is cut back on models and designs. Sell off certian brands. And prioritize and condense production. The economy isnt going to stay in the toilet forever. And eventually sales of everything from milk to cars will pick up again.

But as much as i risk getting bashed for this...i am a firm believer in survival of the fittist! If they cant cut it...buh-bye!!!
15 years 1 month ago #14

People have a lot to say about American cars, and I am not going to touch that one here. But, the failure of one or all of the American car companies would have serious effects on all of us and even on your Toyota's and Honda's that you all hold so dear, oops, did I type that out loud?

Right now, the bailouts that GM, Chrysler, AIG and the banks are getting are necessary. If these big companies are allowed to fail we will surely be in a depression. :white-flag:

We were all living in la la land for a decade and now we are paying for it.
15 years 1 month ago #15