Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Stock Valuations

Stock Valuations 3 days 7 hours ago #1

• Wanderer
Since you like dividends have you considered adding utilities to your portfolio? Often not exciting but tend to stay more stable in the market and pay a steady income stream.
Please login to reply.

Stock Valuations 3 days 22 hours ago #2

• Goldbug
I prefer long term buy-and-hold on income shares. Most of my portfolio rode out the last crash OK and kept producing dividends, and that's what I am after. As long as the income stays steady, I'm not so worried about the share price unless I'm looking to buy more. Then I want it lower.
Please login to reply.

Stock Valuations 1 week 5 days ago #3

• Moneyes
FrankN wrote:
Mostly what you read online shows bullish attitudes towards 2017 so it could definitely continue

See, that's the thing. All the media has to do is tell people something is bullish and they act accordingly. People need to remember that the stock market is fueled by speculation. That's it. It's a risky proposition as soon as you step through the door, no matter how Blue Chip or conservative you are.
Last Edit: 1 week 5 days ago by Moneyes.
Please login to reply.

Stock Valuations 1 week 5 days ago #4

• Lexie
The stock market has indeed been interesting to watch. We have a few shares here and there and have watched them plummet during the Obama administration. We like the rise now and hope it continues. Our rule of thumb for our small investments was "if you can't afford to lose it, don't play the market."
Please login to reply.

Stock Valuations 4 months 4 days ago #5

• FrankN
  • Blogger & Researcher
I agree this is a scary time and p/e ratios are almost as high as they have ever been. Mostly what you read online shows bullish attitudes towards 2017 so it could definitely continue, but if you are risk adverse, I would stay away.
Please login to reply.

Stock Valuations 4 months 1 week ago #6

• Moneyes
This is an interesting time to play Wall Street. Ever since America knew Trump won, the stock market has been rising. This can't can't be a coincidence. The market is driven by speculation, so Trump's initial actions better be positive in nature so the market can speculate that there will be more of the same.

But I wouldn't buy in right now. I would wait until the end of the first fiscal quarter of '17. Speculations will be high for the coming year and Trump will be sworn in.
Please login to reply.

Stock Valuations 4 months 1 week ago #7

I think that taking profits from this ride up would be practical. However, unfortunately greed can be a powerful thing, and I believe that the market tops when the greed is overpowered by reality. Reality will not be kind.

Rates are now starting to rise, and this is long overdue. IMHO, the FED waited too long to raise. There will be so many disruptions due to the artificial economic environment that was created. Trump has some good ideas, but nothing has happened yet, I find it hard to believe that he will have good cooperation, even from his fellow Republicans on his agenda.