SmartyPig

Replied by Wanderer on topic SmartyPig

Good program!
7 years 3 months ago #1

Replied by Moneyes on topic SmartyPig

Barclay's has an online savings option with a 1% growth regardless of account size. Whatever is left form my check after a week, I put it in. Thanks for the tip, but I'll stick with Barclay's for what I'm doing there.
7 years 3 months ago #2

Replied by Medi on topic SmartyPig

Those people must have been very proud with their accomplishments. I agree that goals are better visualized, so this kind of application is always helpful. Kids will definitely benefit from such realistic goals and we can also keep the family's finance balanced by all members.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Medi.
7 years 6 months ago #3

Replied by amieestahl on topic SmartyPig

This is a great idea! I don't have very many extras that I spend money on, but it could be a great tool for my children. They can see where they spend their money, and learn how to save earlier on in life.
7 years 6 months ago #4

Replied by FrankN on topic SmartyPig

Haha I agree, but some people can be so short sided!
7 years 10 months ago #5

Replied by FrugalFran on topic SmartyPig

I see people all the time who eat out everyday and I just don't get it. Bring your lunch and use this app or stick cash in a jar somewhere so you can see how much you're saving. Once the money starts adding up, that should be motivation enough to keep bringing lunch.
7 years 10 months ago #6

Definitely. I loved it when he told me about it. I have started to do the same thing as well. Its small numbers but over time, it can definitely help.
7 years 10 months ago #7

Replied by patse on topic SmartyPig

FrankN wrote: Anyway to help you save, I love as well. I had a person at work who would deposit $5-$10 everyday instead of eating out with us. HE was able to save $1,000 in less than a year.

Now that is smart, for sure. I should try it. What a great way to track what you save instead of eating out. Lunch costs a ton if you eat out all the day.
7 years 11 months ago #8

Very good call. He usually ate salads or a healthy sandwich.
7 years 11 months ago #9

Replied by Wanderer on topic SmartyPig

In my case the approach being shared has another potential side benefit ... not eating could aide you with taking weight off or keeping it in check. The quick drop and run fast food shops do not always offer us the best diets. Food for thought. A double benefit :)
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Wanderer.
7 years 11 months ago #10

Anyway to help you save, I love as well. I had a person at work who would deposit $5-$10 everyday instead of eating out with us. HE was able to save $1,000 in less than a year.
7 years 11 months ago #11
  • rebock
  • rebock's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by rebock on topic SmartyPig

That is a cool idea, I love it.
8 years 2 weeks ago #12

Replied by patse on topic SmartyPig

FrugalFran wrote: I think this is a good idea for specific goals. I read about one woman who used their mobile app to deposit $4.37 every time she drove passed Starbuck's without stopping. That's a cool idea!

That is cool. I'm assuming that she used to stop there daily and now she is saving the money instead.

I will have to see where I can save. I like the idea of this. It's the first I have ever heard of it.
8 years 2 weeks ago #13

Replied by FrugalFran on topic SmartyPig

I think this is a good idea for specific goals. I read about one woman who used their mobile app to deposit $4.37 every time she drove passed Starbuck's without stopping. That's a cool idea!
8 years 2 weeks ago #14

Replied by Breakinger on topic SmartyPig

I've never heard of this method before so I had to look it up. It seems like a very simple way to save and would be great for someone who is looking to reach smaller financial goals. You can even allow other family members and friends the opportunity to contribute to your savings.
8 years 2 weeks ago #15