Personal Finance Tips Gleaned From Professionals

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Personal Finance Tips Gleaned From Professionals

Having multiple savings accounts has been a big help for me. I have a hard time categorizing money in my mind, so when I opted to open different accounts for each of the things the OP mentioned, it allowed me to visually see how much I had saved for each situation. From there, I was able to easily calculate the percentage of allocation from each paycheck.
7 years 5 months ago #16

Replied by Breakinger on topic Personal Finance Tips Gleaned From Professionals

All of these are great tips. I wish that I would have figured out the revolving debt thing sooner. I'm pretty sure that if I had I would be in a better position now. Something that I've learned over the years is to make sure that you create a budget. It's the perfect way to see how your financial situation is going and if there is any room for improvement.
7 years 5 months ago #17
  • MidSouthGal
  • MidSouthGal's Avatar Topic Author

Personal Finance Tips Gleaned From Professionals was created by MidSouthGal

Over the years I have learned so much about finances by learning from people in the know.
Three things that I have learned is that:
1. Low fees does not amount to low cost. In fact revolving interest has been the Achilles heel for too many debtors who just pay the minimum due.
2. Automate your savings and then categorize your savings. Have an emergency fund that you can liquidate instantly. It should be equivalent to three month's worth of bills. Have a savings account for clothes, no it shouldn't come from a windfall or your grocery budget. Save for your yearly vacation, and save for "unforeseen" expenses that really should be foreseen like new tires, or car repairs. You know things break so make a plan.
3. Use compound interest to maximize your savings. By saving early on you will accumulate more wealth.

What are some of the tricks you have learned on the way?
7 years 5 months ago #18