Cost of rice?

Replied by Postman on topic In our country the price

In our country the price of the rice all gone up because there is a shortage. Good thing that there is an NFA rice which is sold at a cheaper rate. Otherwise we will not know where to get our daily rice each day.
15 years 11 months ago #16
  • alpha
  • alpha's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by alpha on topic I think we're already seeing

I think we're already seeing the price of gas, and especially the price of the diesel that the big trucks use, cause rises in everything else. Grocery store items are mostly trucked around the country and diesel is higher than gas to start with.
15 years 11 months ago #17

Replied by Scribes on topic I did happen to read

I did happen to read about it, yes, but thanks for that linky. My fear is certainly the gas prices, because that's going to raise the prices of EVERYTHING that gets shipped someplace: food, clothes, personal items, electronics, cars, you name it.
15 years 11 months ago #18

Replied by scribbler on topic I'm not so sure we

I'm not so sure we should be laughing at this scenario.

My husband's been saying the same thing for months now. It'll take something major happening to get people to realize it could well be a reality though. Did you see the National Conference of State Legislatures report earlier in the week saying that many states are already in recession even if it's not national yet? Scary times indeed.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hrUO_Oy7hsffB0t4l4vfHlEazCjgD908P0900

Stock up folks, because gas and food prices are just going to keep on rising in my humble opinion.
15 years 11 months ago #19

Replied by Scribes on topic That's it, I am tired

That's it, I am tired of laughing, I am too big for hiccups! Good night scribes!

I'm not so sure we should be laughing at this scenario. :fun: this is heavy stuff here. We are in a whole world of trouble. If our economy is REALLY going to go downhill as we fear this summer, that's going to put a major hurt on the global economy -- especially in Asia, and with the Summer Olympics around the corner, that is the LAST thing China needs. I'm telling you, I'm plenty worried. When my fiancee arrives this summer, I may suggest we just hide out in a lovely mountain area with a sunlit spring for swimming in. It's going to get rough. :scared:
15 years 11 months ago #20

Replied by Meya on topic That's it, I am tired

That's it, I am tired of laughing, I am too big for hiccups! Good night scribes!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
15 years 11 months ago #21

Replied by Scribes on topic You know what? Now that

You know what? Now that you mentioned backroads, I think they have those on the way to Modesto which is 90 miles east of San Francisco, also some on the way to Sacramento which is the same distance but north of San Franicsco. Hummm, that is somehting to think about but, with gas prices being so high, I look crazy putting $60 bucks in my car to get some discounted fruits and vegetables.

Yeah, it's funny you mention that, because I was thinking to myself "Wait a minute, I forgot to factor in the cost of gas. Okay, $100." LOL. That does it... I might not get a new car -- I might get a moped instead. Who cares if I can't go on the highway anyway? :D :cool:
15 years 11 months ago #22

Replied by Meya on topic You know what? Now that

You know what? Now that you mentioned backroads, I think they have those on the way to Modesto which is 90 miles east of San Francisco, also some on the way to Sacramento which is the same distance but north of San Franicsco. Hummm, that is somehting to think about but, with gas prices being so high, I look crazy putting $60 bucks in my car to get some discounted fruits and vegetables.
:fun: :fun: :fun:
15 years 11 months ago #23

Replied by Scribes on topic We have excellent farmers markets

We have excellent farmers markets but they don't include those kind of basic things like rice

Neither does ours. But I have seen them given out at local churches and other places that offer free food handouts for the community.

Just visit a backroads area out in the country, along a busy road, and you'll come across a fruit/veggie stand eventually. Here in Cleveland, if you go about 20 miles southwest where the hicks all hang out, there's a stretch of open road called Route 113. On that road, you can pretty much buy about $500 worth of fruits/veggies for $50 bucks in the course of 5 miles. Do the math. Or not... lol :cool:
15 years 11 months ago #24

Replied by Meya on topic We have excellent farmers markets

We have excellent farmers markets but they don't include those kind of basic things like rice

Neither does ours. But I have seen them given out at local churches and other places that offer free food handouts for the community.
15 years 11 months ago #25
  • alpha

Replied by alpha on topic I agree that farmers market

I agree that farmers market and local groups are a good way to go if you have them near you. We have excellent farmers markets but they don't include those kind of basic things like rice.
15 years 11 months ago #26

Replied by Scribes on topic Sophie has the right idea.

Sophie has the right idea. If you want to shop for quality, cheaper foods right now, start visiting veggie and fruit stands in your area. If you're lucky like me, maybe you have a huge farmer's market in your major city. Cleveland has West Side Market, a very large area of fruits, veggies, meats, and foods of every culture and country. A great place to shop if you can make the trip. And not one middleman in the lot. :D
15 years 11 months ago #27

Replied by Meya on topic I like steamed white rice

I like steamed white rice a whole lot, but my kids do not like it. I have heard of this a few days ago, but it has not affected my shopping list. I guess that small businesses will find a way around it, by going around to different distributers to purchase it.
15 years 11 months ago #28

Replied by Pinkee on topic I'm suddenly hearing a lot

I'm suddenly hearing a lot of news stories about the big stores, like Costco, restricting the amount of rice people can buy. And the prices are going up. This makes a problem for people who run small food carts -- we have a lot of those where they serve bentos which all have rice. Are you seeing this where you are?

Yes I am. I live in the Philippines and the rice shortage has been a problem. The prices have significantly increased. :worried: Our government started distributing cheap rice and people line up to take advantage of it. The thing is, it's our staple food. We simply can't have a meal without rice. I guess I'm just a tad luckier than most that I don't need to line up just yet. We still have not come to a point where the supermarkets have restricted the amount of rice you can buy each time.
15 years 11 months ago #29
  • alpha

Replied by alpha on topic I guess what they're trying

I guess what they're trying to do is keep the restaurants from buying up huge supplies, as you say, but it seems to me when things like this start they eventually wind up costing us individuals more. I'm sure the restaurants will have to raise their prices if they have trouble getting rice.
15 years 11 months ago #30