10 Signs You're Headed Toward Credit Card Debt

Replied by Medi on topic Debt debt debt

I had to learn about the importance of emergency fund the hard way. I was lucky because it was nothing too big and serious, although I still had to kick myself pretty hard to be able to pay it back. I'm more strict with myself when it comes to monthly saving and shopping budget.
7 years 6 months ago #16

Replied by FrankN on topic Credit card debt

I am sure that was a scary feeling! if you don't mind me asking, what kind of plan did you take and how did you pay them off?
7 years 6 months ago #17

Replied by patse on topic Credit card debt

Breakinger wrote: There are some really great warning signs on here to let you know if you are headed towards credit card disaster. I've only had a few of these pop up from time-to-time. I think the best advice is to have a plan in place to pay them off as quickly as you can and definitely stop using them as soon as possible.

I'm in the same boat as you. I used to have a lot of these issues but I no longer do. I now just basically use the card for vacations and pay it off before we take our next one. I once had three maxed out. I made a plan, stuck to it and paid them off.
7 years 7 months ago #18

Replied by FrankN on topic Great tip!

These are great tips! thank you for sharing.
7 years 7 months ago #19

Replied by Breakinger on topic Credit card debt

There are some really great warning signs on here to let you know if you are headed towards credit card disaster. I've only had a few of these pop up from time-to-time. I think the best advice is to have a plan in place to pay them off as quickly as you can and definitely stop using them as soon as possible.
7 years 8 months ago #20
  • KIEJON9
  • KIEJON9's Avatar Topic Author

was created by KIEJON9

Using credit cards unwisely can lead to a mountain of credit card debt that's nearly impossible to overcome. But how do you know if you're using your cards unwisely? Here are some ways to tell you're for credit card debt.
1. You use credit to meet basic needs

Your income should be used to buy everyday items like food, clothing, and gas. Having to use credit cards to cover these types of purchases is a sign of financial trouble

2. You transfer balances to avoid credit card payments

There are times when a credit card balance transfer makes sense, like to consolidate credit card balances or to get a lower interest rate. However, frequently transferring balances instead of making credit card payments is a red flag.
3. You skip one credit card bill to pay another

Prioritizing credit card payments is wise. But skipping payments is always unwise. If you consistently find yourself too strapped for cash to make your credit card payments, you are already in credit card trouble.
4. You avoid or ignore credit card statements

If only wishing away credit cards actually made them go away. Pretending your credit card debt doesn't exist only gives it time to grow. Facing credit card debt sooner gives you the opportunity to tackle debt before it gets out of control.
5. You charge more than you pay

Imagine trying to fill a hole while someone shoveled out more dirt than you put in. Your hole would never get filled would it? It's the same with debt. If you're charging more than you're paying, your credit card debt will always continue to increase.
6. You don't have an emergency fund

If you don't have an emergency fund , you'll feel forced to use your credit card in emergency situations. Credit card debt created because of large, unexpected expenses can be hard to pay off, especially if your budget is already stretched.
7. You don't have a plan to pay off your credit card debt

You know what they say, "Failing to plan is planning to fail." If you're not actively working to pay off your credit card balances, you could end up unnecessarily paying on the cards for years to come. Whether you have excessive credit card debt or not, you should always have a plan to pay off your balances.
8. You use credit to "afford" expensive items

The allure of credit is that it tricks us into thinking we can afford to buy more than we really can. Truth is, only extra income or lower expenses (or both) enables you to afford more expensive items. Incurring credit card debt to maintain a lifestyle you really can't afford isn't a wise decision for your future income.
9. You have past due accounts

If you have credit cards that are currently past due, you've probably run into unfortunate financial trouble that's keeping your from making payments. Remember, the more past due your accounts become, the harder it will be to bring them current again. Take a look at your monthly budget for money you could spend to get your credit accounts back on track.
10. You have maxed out credit cards

If your credit cards are all maxed out, you're not headed for credit card debt, you're already in it. What next? Make a decision to pay off your credit card debt and to make wiser choices about using your credit cards in the future
15 years 7 months ago #21