Building The Wall

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Building The Wall

I haven't heard anything about plans to tackle the tunnel problem. One of the big issues with that is the tunnels don't pop up in the middle of the desert; they come up in closets in homes and into warehouses making it difficult for us to find them. I honestly wish he'd say he consulted with his advisers and it's been decided that the wall money would be better spent on building up ICE.
7 years 2 months ago #16

Replied by Breakinger on topic Building The Wall

I never even thought about the tunnel problem, FrugalFran. What is he going to do about that? I'm starting to think that what Lexie said is true, maybe this is just a scare tactic and he doesn't really have any plans to follow through with it. I'm scared to think what would happen if he did build this wall.
7 years 2 months ago #17

Breakinger wrote: Don't you think something like this is going to have a negative impact on our economy in the end?

I think if it comes down to Americans paying a tax on imported Mexican goods, yes, it will have a negative impact. My bigger problem with it is that I think it is just plain stupid. I supported Trump in the election, but the wall was never one of the points I agreed with and he still hasn't talked me into it. I don't think it's the answer to the immigration problem and it isn't going to solve anything in the end. It also doesn't begin to address the tunnel problem.
7 years 2 months ago #18

Replied by Lexie on topic Building The Wall

As far as I know, they haven't started building yet. I'm in the "wait and see" camp. It may have been a scare tactic. If not, then the consumer will most likely in a round about way end up paying for it. It seems we always do, doesn't it?
7 years 2 months ago #19

Replied by Breakinger on topic Building The Wall

I agree with both of you Goldbug and FrugalFran. It seems to me like if this is the case, then most American's will just boycott any goods that come from Mexico especially if we are the ones that have to pay the tax. Don't you think something like this is going to have a negative impact on our economy in the end?
7 years 2 months ago #20

Replied by Goldbug on topic Building The Wall

I don't think it is a good idea. The companies will just include the tariff in the costs of goods, so it will be Americans paying for it, not Mexico like he claims. The other thing is that it causes problems with international trade, and it won't help the economy if US goods get a tariff slapped on them by other countries in response.
7 years 2 months ago #21

All the scuttlebutt I've been hearing about this is that it will be the American consumer that gets stuck paying the tax and I don't see that going over very well. In my opinion, I think it was something they threw out there in an effort to make Mexico nervous and show how serious they are, but he isn't going to actually stick Americans with the bill.
7 years 2 months ago #22
  • Moneyes
  • Moneyes's Avatar Topic Author

Building The Wall was created by Moneyes

So Donald Trump has proposed building a wall on the southern states to help in the "fight" in stopping illegal immigrants from crossing the border from Mexico. His plan for having Mexico "pay for it" includes slapping a 20% tariff (tax) on all imports coming in the U.S. from Mexico. Simply put, if you pay $1.00 for something now, you would pay $1.20 for that same item after the tariff is imposed. This would happen because if someone paid $1.00 to ship something from Mexico to here, they would now have to pay $1.20, with that extra .20 going to help fund the building of the wall. The buck gets passed along.

Do you think this is a good idea?
7 years 2 months ago #23