Credit Union Credit Cards

Replied by FrankN on topic Love my credit union

JGibbs wrote:

JacksonM wrote:
I've closed a bank account before, it really didn't take too much time. It was one a shared with an ex. The worst part was that it was a bank and the day before they'd assessed the account with a low balance fee. I had to pay them $11 before they'd close it. Just another reason I prefer credit unions.

You had to pay the bank just to close your account? That is outrageous. I remember when banks used to offer great incentives for leaving your money with them. Now they charge.

I know its only $11, but I also would have been furious on the principal alone! That is insane to me.
6 years 1 month ago #1

Replied by JGibbs on topic Love my credit union

JacksonM wrote:
I've closed a bank account before, it really didn't take too much time. It was one a shared with an ex. The worst part was that it was a bank and the day before they'd assessed the account with a low balance fee. I had to pay them $11 before they'd close it. Just another reason I prefer credit unions.

You had to pay the bank just to close your account? That is outrageous. I remember when banks used to offer great incentives for leaving your money with them. Now they charge.
6 years 2 months ago #2

Replied by Wanderer on topic Love my credit union

Being shareholder in a Credit Union certainly can work to our advantage. The profits and tax breaks fall to us and not share holders and corporate executives! Long live Credit Unions!
6 years 2 months ago #3

Replied by JacksonM on topic Love my credit union

Moneyes wrote:

JacksonM wrote: friends and other family are complaining about their banks. I recommend they switch, but most say, "It's too much hassle." It blows my mind.

I just took my daugher into one a few days ago and the process of setting up an account took, maybe, 30 minutes. If that is a hassle to people I would question how seriously they take their finances.

6 years 3 months ago #4

Moneyes wrote:

JacksonM wrote: friends and other family are complaining about their banks. I recommend they switch, but most say, "It's too much hassle." It blows my mind.

I just took my daugher into one a few days ago and the process of setting up an account took, maybe, 30 minutes. If that is a hassle to people I would question how seriously they take their finances.

Most people probably think its a long, tough exercise, but glad to hear it was easy for you!
6 years 3 months ago #5

Replied by Moneyes on topic Love my credit union

6 years 3 months ago #6

Thats great to hear! I love good experiences with credit unions!
6 years 7 months ago #7

Replied by JacksonM on topic Love my credit union

I love my credit union, too. I joined the same credit union as my aunt when I started college. That was more than ten years ago, and I've only had one issue with them. I don't physically go into the branch, but when I need to reach out for help, they are great.

All the while, friends and other family are complaining about their banks. I recommend they switch, but most say, "It's too much hassle." It blows my mind.
6 years 7 months ago #8

Replied by CentsibleSaver on topic Love my credit union

I'm a bigger fan of my credit union than I am of my bank. Customer service is better and so are the rates. The workers also remember my name and ask about my family each time I go in.
6 years 8 months ago #9

Replied by Joker on topic Credit Union Rates for Loans

Credit unions historically have better car loan rates than standard banks. They can also help you get your credit moving in the right direction as stated below. Starting a savings account has its own benefits, one of which is membership in a credit union. I agree you need to shop around and research what CUs you might qualify for. Best thing I ever did!
6 years 8 months ago #10

Replied by SAR1954 on topic Re: Credit Union Credit Cards

Opened up a credit card with my local credit union, 2K, 10.99% interest rate. Know I just have that card and a U.S. Bank Visa with a balance. I am going to keep the other cards I paid off for credit history purposes but will keep them put up and only use them once a year for small purchases. The credit union has drastically helped me in the last month, on getting on the path to stronger credit. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
11 years 7 months ago #11

Replied by belle on topic Re: Credit Union Credit Cards

Bank Credit Cards that are issued with a Visa or Mastercard logo work equally well whether issued by a bank, credit union or non-bank... Usually Visa account numbers start with a "4" and MasterCard account numbers start with "5". As was previously posted in the global world, it does NOT matter. As long as the establishment takes one or the other you are fine no matter who issued it. All is equal. Card terms and benefits may be different but that is between the card holder and issuer and has no effect on the card's usage at a merchant.

As long as they have a Visa/MC logo on the card, they can be used anywhere Visa/MC payments are accepted.

Thanks guys! :) I probably won't hesitate to use my card now as long as the merchants say they accept Visa/MC payments. :cheesing:
13 years 11 months ago #12

Replied by julienne on topic Re: Credit Union Credit Cards

Nope. You basically are renting another bank for five minutes. When you walk in, the shared branch will have their transaction slips and the CU Services transaction slips. You would use the CU Services slips. Also their is no ATM charge. Any co-op ATM is free to use... That's 28,000 ATM's.

My favorite thing about banking with a credit union is the amount of satisfaction I get.

This is great! :) These days, it's seldom that we get satisfaction from a banking service even with our own banks.
13 years 11 months ago #13

Replied by Joeyman on topic Re: Credit Union Credit Cards

So, the shared branch option doesn't have a banking charge when you use a shared branch instead of your main credit union?

Nope. You basically are renting another bank for five minutes. When you walk in, the shared branch will have their transaction slips and the CU Services transaction slips. You would use the CU Services slips. Also their is no ATM charge. Any co-op ATM is free to use... That's 28,000 ATM's.

My favorite thing about banking with a credit union is the amount of satisfaction I get. :cool:
14 years 19 hours ago #14

Replied by hanna on topic Re: Credit Union Credit Cards

Hanna with the shared branches available now, it's easy to have your main checking accounts with a credit union. My credit union is located kinda far, however I use the nearest shared branch credit union for my needs. For example, my bank's name is Unitus Community Credit Union, yet the Oregonians Credit Union is closer; I use the Oregonians more than my real bank. All thanks to the shared network they use. All the credit unions have the same computer software. Also don't forget about the co-op ATM network credit unions use, it has access to all 7-Eleven ATM's free of charge.

When shopping for a credit union make sure they have the shared branch options, and are apart of the co-op network for ATMs.

So, the shared branch option doesn't have a banking charge when you use a shared branch instead of your main credit union?
14 years 1 day ago #15