Discover Change In Terms

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: Discover Change In Terms

Eldarwen - what do you use as a backup Visa (terms conditions rewards)?

I use my Amazon.com Visa as my back up card. It's 3 points for every dollar spent at Amazon, 2 points for grocery stores, 1 point for everywhere else. My APR is sitting at 12%.
13 years 11 months ago #1

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Discover Change In Terms

Don't forget about the reward caps on the Discover cards. That is a dealbreaker for many consumers who want to apply and take advantage of their rewards program.
13 years 11 months ago #2

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Discover Change In Terms

Eldarwen - what do you use as a backup Visa (terms conditions rewards)?
13 years 11 months ago #3

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: Discover Change In Terms

Discover is really not my card of choice right now. Right now, I don't spend enough on the card to make the rewards to be worth while anymore. I am right now sticking to my Amex Blue Cash and Amex Gold Premier. It was fun while it lasted but I find that I can't count on it if I am ever in a jam because of poor acceptance. It seems like I get more mileage with my 2 Amex cards and a backup Visa.
13 years 11 months ago #4

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Discover Change In Terms

Today i received a nice silver and gold letter from Discover with a 100 dollar Discover gift card with an apology explaining the system glitch that happened a few weeks ago....they did not have to do it but I'll take it

And run with it!!! That is good news to hear.:cool:
13 years 11 months ago #5

Replied by hanna on topic Re: Discover Change In Terms

Discover no longer really has to give away the farm because they have established themselves here.

So true. An established business really have the edge over others in their industry. Most of their clients can be assured that they can trust who they're dealing with because of positive experiences.
14 years 3 days ago #6
  • ColoNative
  • ColoNative's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Captain
  • Finance Captain

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Discover Change In Terms

Have a question hopefully someone can answer for me. Why doesn't Discover just give a flat 5% back on everything instead of rotating the places you can recoup the 5% ? So if I spend $16K a year on my Discover More I would receive over the 12 months $800. I am at that spend point with my AMEX Premier Rewards Gold Card and nowhere near that amount.

Thank You

You just answered your own question :white-flag:They do what they can to limit the amount they have to pay back. I miss the days of their $0-$999 0.25%, $1000-$1999 0.50%, $2000-$2999 0.75% $3,000 + 1% tiers. I also appreciated how you got a check on your anniversary date as long as it was at least $5. Now they only let you redeem it in increments of $20 and in some states, including mine, it is $50! That is why I stopped using my Discover as my main card years ago.
14 years 1 week ago #7

Replied by smcc on topic Re: Discover Change In Terms

Have a question hopefully someone can answer for me. Why doesn't Discover just give a flat 5% back on everything instead of rotating the places you can recoup the 5% ? So if I spend $16K a year on my Discover More I would receive over the 12 months $800. I am at that spend point with my AMEX Premier Rewards Gold Card and nowhere near that amount.

Thank You
14 years 1 week ago #8
  • ColoNative
  • Finance Captain
  • Finance Captain

Today i received a nice silver and gold letter from Discover with a 100 dollar Discover gift card with an apology explaining the system glitch that happened a few weeks ago....they did not have to do it but I'll take it

Wow, look how you rate. There custmer service has always been tops.
14 years 2 months ago #9

Replied by eugene66 on topic Re: Discover Change In Terms

Today i received a nice silver and gold letter from Discover with a 100 dollar Discover gift card with an apology explaining the system glitch that happened a few weeks ago....they did not have to do it but I'll take it :cheesing:
14 years 2 months ago #10
  • ColoNative
  • Finance Captain
  • Finance Captain

actually I opened my account in DEC 09 and it finally reported in jan 10.the good thing about Discover for me is that everywhere i shop they take Discover and at Discover shop,i can earned as much as 20% cash back on some of my favorite places i like to shop.

Oh that is right, congrats! I have never used the Shop Discover site I will have to check it out.
14 years 2 months ago #11
  • ColoNative
  • Finance Captain
  • Finance Captain

In my memory of the past, there was a time when the minimum monthly payments were 5% or $25.00. Early days of credit cards (1970's). Reason was so people got the balance paid off quickly. Note interest was 15.9% and way more.

And a lot of department stores had set payments based on the balance. Von Maur (the Nordstrom of the mid-west plains states) still offers it-interest free to boot. So if your balance on your Von Maur is $326-$375 your monthly payment is $75 no if's and's or but's about it. I really like that; it kind of forces people to stay within budget and can keep them out of trouble.
14 years 2 months ago #12
  • ColoNative
  • Finance Captain
  • Finance Captain

ColoNative I also have a Discover card and even though I pay in full each month I notice they also had a minimum payment of $40 for me. Maybe since the credit card changes are taking effect that their new minimum payment is $40.

Thanks Wanderer I am glad I am not the only one that is seeing this. You didn't happen to get cash over at the grocery store did you? That was the only thing out of the ordinary that I did this past billing cycle. I figured they wanted their normal $20 minimum plus the $20 that I took out.....:confused:
14 years 2 months ago #13

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Discover Change In Terms

In my memory of the past, there was a time when the minimum monthly payments were 5% or $25.00. Early days of credit cards (1970's). Reason was so people got the balance paid off quickly. Note interest was 15.9% and way more.
14 years 2 months ago #14

Replied by WebReader on topic Re: Discover Change In Terms

That is strange. So you just opened your Discover in January 2010?

On my last Discover statement, I had a balance of $74.29 and my minimum payment was $40...I thought that was strange. I always pay the account in full and in the 10 years I have had it, I have never once paid interest. But $40 minimum payment on a $74.29 balance? Crazy (I did do the $20 cash over at the grocery store, maybe they factored that in?).

You are right, they do have great customer service. They have call centers in UT and DE.

ColoNative I also have a Discover card and even though I pay in full each month I notice they also had a minimum payment of $40 for me. Maybe since the credit card changes are taking effect that their new minimum payment is $40.
14 years 2 months ago #15