Visa with Chip and pin technology?

Replied by Pinky on topic Card Chips

I'm glad they are pursuing faster chips. Having to leave my card in the machine while they process my order holds me up. Sometimes the chip won't work at all. Innovations are good, however, I wonder if these innovations are leading us toward personal tattoos with our account info for a scan at the store or possibly a retinal scan? You know it's probably coming.
6 years 8 months ago #13

Replied by Wanderer on topic Chip cards

It seems Visa now has a fast chip processing system and is rolling it out titled "Quick Chip". All you do is slip your card into the reader slot and remove it right away ... the system processes the rest of the transaction and you are on your way (card in hand). Way less waiting.
7 years 1 month ago #14

Frank ... "truth is good for the soul" ;) Is the wallet the real problem ... (just could not help myself) :) What type of wallet shields the cards? Sure would want to steer clear of the ones that make the cards not operative.
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Wanderer.
7 years 1 month ago #15

Replied by FrankN on topic Chip cards

I bought one, and it actually seemed to create other issues for my credit cards. They would never work!
7 years 1 month ago #16

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Chip cards

Don't they make special wallets now so hackers can't access your cards? I thought I saw something like that for sale at AAA. Again, though, it's probably only a matter of time before they find their way through it.
7 years 2 months ago #17

That is true however, they may have your data and potentially your identification which is a bigger issue.
7 years 2 months ago #18

Replied by Tishbel on topic Re: Visa with Chip and pin technology?

FrugalFran wrote: I think my biggest gripe with the change is that it won't last. The hackers and thieves out there will find a way to make it unsafe and the credit card companies will have to come up with another solution then we'll all be adapting again. The price of progress, I guess.

They're already talking about Contactless payment and Android Pay and that just seems really unsafe to me. If the card doesn't have to leave your pocket to be charged, couldn't anyone with a scanner just take money off it without you knowing?
7 years 2 months ago #19

Replied by FrankN on topic Chip cards

Most likely. On a positive note, you are almost never liable if someone fraudulently spends on your credit card. All you need to do is call the credit card company and they will remove the fraudulent charges.
7 years 10 months ago #20

Replied by patse on topic Chip cards

I have been having a ton of trouble with mine lately. Seriously, it is slowing the whole buying process down. I also think that hackers will just find a different way to hack into our accounts.
7 years 11 months ago #21

Replied by Moneyes on topic Re: Visa with Chip and pin technology?

Well, hackers can't get into my cash that's in my wallet, so there's their solution......I wish. I like the change. For me, the process seems to be quicker.
7 years 11 months ago #22

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Re: Visa with Chip and pin technology?

I think my biggest gripe with the change is that it won't last. The hackers and thieves out there will find a way to make it unsafe and the credit card companies will have to come up with another solution then we'll all be adapting again. The price of progress, I guess.
7 years 11 months ago #23

Replied by FrankN on topic Re: Visa with Chip and pin technology?

From what I have read, there is not a deadline for companies to switch, but the most should be switched by the end of 2016. Its supposed to be very good technology and safer than what it was in the past. However, I think the process is slower, and I have been annoyed several times during the process. Several times, I have had to wait several minutes for the chip to read and work. Not a big pain, but if I am trying to get out of the store, I would rather just swipe it.
7 years 11 months ago #24

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Re: Visa with Chip and pin technology?

You're right about that, Breakinger. Most of the stores I go to don't have the chip readers hooked up yet, so I don't see what the point is to all of this. I never know when I'm supposed to use the darn thing. Does anyone know if there is a deadline for all credit card machines being switched over the chip reader?
7 years 11 months ago #25

Replied by Breakinger on topic Re: Visa with Chip and pin technology?

I agree that it is a pain to use these machines sometimes. What I'm finding to be inconvenient is that you stick your card in assuming that it is all ready to go and the cashier stands there looking at you saying that their machine isn't hooked up yet. But, when the machines do work, they seem to be pretty quick where I've been.
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Breakinger.
7 years 11 months ago #26

Replied by Curry on topic Re: Visa with Chip and pin technology?

I think it was a bad 'idea that wasn't implemented well. Card holders, merchants, banks and the makers of the chip technology do not seem to be ale to be on the same page. It has been about 5 years now since they started rolling them out and it's been a jumbled mess ever since.
7 years 11 months ago #27