How can I be a more frugal pet owner?

Replied by Lexie on topic How can I be a more frugal pet owner?

Wanderer wrote: Lexie when you have pets that get fleas do the human owners need to do anything to prevent or eliminate fleas from themselves?

Not unless you have them in your carpets. "Revolution" works only on the animal for about a month at a time. The vet also has a spray for your carpet. It is also expensive but works very well. Over the counter flea spray never worked in my house.
6 years 3 months ago #1

Replied by Wanderer on topic How can I be a more frugal pet owner?

Lexie when you have pets that get fleas do the human owners need to do anything to prevent or eliminate fleas from themselves?
6 years 3 months ago #2

Replied by JacksonM on topic How can I be a more frugal pet owner?

Lexie wrote: I totally agree JACKSONM. I used to buy Cosequin online because it was less expensive than anything from the vet. And it worked just as well. My flea medication was a prescription, very expensive anywhere but worked when nothing else would. Toys, soap, sweaters and other meds. I purchase online.

One of the meds I buy now is Cosequin. My older cat was having trouble jumping up and it's helped him quite a bit. It's definitely better to buy online.

Small toys and feather/wand toys I actually buy more often in stores. I've found some great wands for $3 or less and I finally visited a PetSupermarket and found toys my cats immediately attacked for around $1 each. Larger stuff, like trees and scratchers are better priced online though.
6 years 3 months ago #3

I totally agree JACKSONM. I used to buy Cosequin online because it was less expensive than anything from the vet. And it worked just as well. My flea medication was a prescription, very expensive anywhere but worked when nothing else would. Toys, soap, sweaters and other meds. I purchase online.
6 years 3 months ago #4

Wanderer wrote: Food for thought, when buying medications on line are you getting the real thing. It has been found medications manufactured outside the United States may not meet the United States standards. There is a risk and also that the meds may not even work as prescribed. Caution is in order here.

That's a valid point, Wanderer. Anything prescription I get from the vet or a pharmacy. Over-the-counter type meds like flea prevention and probiotics I'll buy online, but I only purchase the brand/type the vet recommends. Mostly it saves money on the markup from buying directly from the vet, but I occasionally stumble across site sales as well.
6 years 3 months ago #5

Replied by FrankN on topic How can I be a more frugal pet owner?

Lexie wrote:

FrankN wrote:

Lexie wrote: Unfortunately, when you get a large breed dog, you also take on the responsibility of feeding them and taking them to the vet. Much like a child. My husband used to have a St. Bernard before he met me. He said the dog went through a case of Alpo every week plus a 50lb. bag of dry food. He used to play football in the back yard with him. He was a good opponent and tackled well. Good luck with your pit bull Joker. I'm sure he's worth every penny.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you spend a month on the dog?

Counting Vet bills and food, my husband estimates $250.00 per month on this dog. That rounds to about $65.00 per week. Big dogs are not for the faint of heart.

That is definitely steep! People love their animals though.
6 years 4 months ago #6

FrankN wrote:

Lexie wrote: Unfortunately, when you get a large breed dog, you also take on the responsibility of feeding them and taking them to the vet. Much like a child. My husband used to have a St. Bernard before he met me. He said the dog went through a case of Alpo every week plus a 50lb. bag of dry food. He used to play football in the back yard with him. He was a good opponent and tackled well. Good luck with your pit bull Joker. I'm sure he's worth every penny.

Counting Vet bills and food, my husband estimates $250.00 per month on this dog. That rounds to about $65.00 per week. Big dogs are not for the faint of heart.
6 years 4 months ago #7

Food for thought, when buying medications on line are you getting the real thing. It has been found medications manufactured outside the United States may not meet the United States standards. There is a risk and also that the meds may not even work as prescribed. Caution is in order here.
6 years 4 months ago #8

Typically I buy food that falls between the really horrible stuff and the really good, expensive stuff. When there's a sale or bonus offer, I'll buy extra at the better price. I also use an app called Flipp. It pulls all the store flyers from your area into one place and it's searchable. It's also less expensive to buy medications online.
6 years 4 months ago #9

Replied by FrankN on topic How can I be a more frugal pet owner?

6 years 4 months ago #10

Unfortunately, when you get a large breed dog, you also take on the responsibility of feeding them and taking them to the vet. Much like a child. My husband used to have a St. Bernard before he met me. He said the dog went through a case of Alpo every week plus a 50lb. bag of dry food. He used to play football in the back yard with him. He was a good opponent and tackled well. Good luck with your pit bull Joker. I'm sure he's worth every penny.
6 years 4 months ago #11
  • JGibbs
  • JGibbs's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by JGibbs on topic How can I be a more frugal pet owner?

Joker wrote: I would love to be able to afford to feed my pitbull Blue Buffalo but as Lexie said the cost is ridiculous. They also have some "fresh" food now for dogs that you keep in the refrigerator. My pitty would eat the refrigerator! He has a huge appetite and I already spend entirely too much on that big baby.

Large breed dogs eat a ton! You might find some good dog food deals on Chewy.com. That's the first place I check usually. It's worth signing up for Petflow's and Petco's newsletters because they often come with good deals and coupon codes.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by JGibbs.
6 years 4 months ago #12

Replied by Joker on topic How can I be a more frugal pet owner?

I would love to be able to afford to feed my pitbull Blue Buffalo but as Lexie said the cost is ridiculous. They also have some "fresh" food now for dogs that you keep in the refrigerator. My pitty would eat the refrigerator! He has a huge appetite and I already spend entirely too much on that big baby.
6 years 4 months ago #13

Wanderer wrote: In observing ads on TV ... would you not want to furnish your dog food that would encourage the native "wolf" in him/her ? :)

That is a good commercial Wanderer. However, that brand is twice as expensive as everything else. If you talk to a vet, he/she will tell you any food that has all the nutrients is alright to feed the critters. The breakdown comes when we spoil them to the things they like. I'm so guilty of this.
6 years 4 months ago #14

In observing ads on TV ... would you not want to furnish your dog food that would encourage the native "wolf" in him/her ? :)
6 years 4 months ago #15