Money tips

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Money tips

Has anyone here tried the LetGo app yet? It looks like it has potential for selling just about anything, but it needs to be done locally, I think. I was considering having a garage sale this summer, but I may try that app first.
6 years 11 months ago #16

Replied by Moneyes on topic Money tips

Buy in bulk the items that do not have expiration dates. And like others have said, learn the sales cycles of products and stock up accordingly.
6 years 11 months ago #17

Replied by Lexie on topic Money tips

Goldbug wrote: One way to earn a bit of extra money is to sell on your old things. Before you take something to Goodwill, see if anyone wants it on eBay or Craigslist. This works better for computer games or small portable items than clothing or furniture, but it can make a few extra dollars from something you were going to throw out, and it doesn't take very long.

Very true Goldbug. There are many communities that now have yard sales on Face Book. Take a picture, post it on the yard sale site and see what happens. If you do end up taking stuff to Good Will, get a receipt and save it for a tax deduction.
6 years 11 months ago #18

Replied by Goldbug on topic Money tips

One way to earn a bit of extra money is to sell on your old things. Before you take something to Goodwill, see if anyone wants it on eBay or Craigslist. This works better for computer games or small portable items than clothing or furniture, but it can make a few extra dollars from something you were going to throw out, and it doesn't take very long.
6 years 11 months ago #19

Replied by FrankN on topic Money tips

If you are really looking for ways to save or earn a little cash, you can go to websites like the penny hoarder as they have all sorts of ways to save/earn more money.
7 years 3 hours ago #20

Replied by Tishbel on topic Money tips

The other tip I can give is that a lot of places mark food down if it is on its last day or about to expire. If you buy it and freeze it, it will last just fine and you can get some real deals that way and cut down on your food bills. If you stack the deals with coupons, money goes a long way.
7 years 2 weeks ago #21

Replied by Lexie on topic Money tips

I have the same thing FrugalFran. I use those bonus points on gift cards for birthdays and Christmas. They really comes in handy when you're low on cash or don't want to shop for a gift. May I also suggest you find a food salvage store somewhere in your area. Dented cans and bent boxes do not affect the quality of the food and the prices are much cheaper.
7 years 3 weeks ago #22

Most are, but there are still credit cards that offer gift card redemption. I can use my chase everyday rewards for gift cards.
7 years 1 month ago #23

My Chase debit card used to earn reward points that were good toward getting gift cards, but they stopped that several years ago. My step-mother loves Dunkin' Donuts and I used to get her a nice sum of gift cards with my points every Christmas. Now all of my reward cards are geared toward cash back.
7 years 1 month ago #24

Breakinger wrote: Great idea, Tishbel. I've never thought about doing my shopping this way. Which stores have you found that this works the best at? I currently have two credit cards that I could test this theory out on.

Starbucks was good but they're moving towards an app so you pay and get the rewards through the same thing. If you can get the older card version, it works well. A lot of stores are now tying their reward schemes only to their credit cards, which makes it harder. If you have to use airlines or hotels for work, their schemes work really well with this.

Also, does anyone else buy giftcards through their cashback credit card? Not every card will let you do this, but if you can, getting an Amazon $10 giftcard at a discount from cashback makes giving long-distance presents cheaper!
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Tishbel.
7 years 1 month ago #25

Breakinger wrote: The best tip that I've learned so far is to buy sales items so that they will last you around 12 weeks. This seems to be the magic number before that product goes on sale again.

That's interesting! I've always wondered if there is a schedule for when things go on sale. I'm going to pay attention to the fliers and try to put myself on a schedule for buying things like toilet paper, paper towels, canned goods, etc.
7 years 1 month ago #26
  • Breakinger
  • Breakinger's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Breakinger on topic Money tips

Great idea, Tishbel. I've never thought about doing my shopping this way. Which stores have you found that this works the best at? I currently have two credit cards that I could test this theory out on.
7 years 1 month ago #27

Not carrying a balance on a credit card is obvious, but you can use cards to get more rewards per sale.

I found I could get more bonuses when instead of using a storecard, I paid by using a store's loyalty cards and a credit card from another supplier with cashback or its own reward scheme. That way each purchase gave me both the loyalty scheme reward and the credit card reward scheme. Storecards normally only offer the loyalty points from the reward scheme, and not the extra cashback. It also saves you worrying about paying off balances on multiple cards!
7 years 2 months ago #28

I use grocery coupons. That has helped me save a lot at the grocery store. I also cut the cord and no longer have cable.
7 years 2 months ago #29
  • Breakinger
  • Breakinger's Avatar Topic Author

Money tips was created by Breakinger

Does anyone have any money tips that can help you stretch your dollar? With the price of goods on the rise since the recession, it's been harder to afford certain things. The best tip that I've learned so far is to buy sales items so that they will last you around 12 weeks. This seems to be the magic number before that product goes on sale again.
7 years 2 months ago #30