Target National Bank - Card Selloff?

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Target National Bank - Card Selloff?

It doesn't go far at all. Consumers usually end up spending more than $200 on one visit because of all the good deals and low prices.

Believe it or not but stores like Target and Wal-Mart use their low prices as a trick to make significant profit off of each customer. Many of their customers find the stuff they want at low prices and don't realize how much they're total is going to be at the register because they've already loaded up their carts with their wants and necessities.

For example: A mother is doing her back to school shopping and she finds a backpack on sale for $14.99 ($24.99 reg. price) and puts it in the cart thinking that she's getting a good deal. Then, she also finds a cooking set that she's always wanted for $59.99 ($79.99 reg. price) and puts it in the cart. Now, the mother thinks that Target helped her save money from the items she bought but in reality, that's how Target does business. They know what the customers want and that their customers will buy the stuff they want as long as it's at discount price. Companies buy their merchandise in wholesale quantities and that allows them to sell them at discount price. The cooking set that they have on sale for $59.99 probably cost about $10 each.

My point is that their plan is to trick customers into buying as much merchandise as they can at discount price without realizing the cost of the items all together until the cashier rings them up. By that time, it's too late for them to pass up the bargain so they end up paying for it. This is the reason why it's easy to end up paying more than $200 at Target.
14 years 8 months ago #16

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Target National Bank - Card Selloff?

The only upside to Chase buying these accounts are that now, consumers don't have to worry about being stuck with the usual $200 CL on their redcard.

I know, $200 is janky, even at a discount store that doesn't go very far.
14 years 8 months ago #17

The only upside to Chase buying these accounts are that now, consumers don't have to worry about being stuck with the usual $200 CL on their redcard. :laugh:

Chase can be generous if they like you but that's hard to say especially in these times. There's no telling what they're looking for.
14 years 8 months ago #18

Hey guys, I just checked the link above and it was indeed posted last year. Sorry about the false alarm. I had it confused with the date on the top of the article and I noticed that it displayed today's date. Sorry Colo, my fault bud.

No worries, and I didn't mean for it to seem like I called you out on it. Even though I don't have a Target card, I would hate to see another retailer sell off their cards. Target is one of the few left that service their own card. I wouldnt doubt it if they do sell soon though, to beef up their bottom line.
14 years 8 months ago #19

Hey guys, I just checked the link above and it was indeed posted last year. Sorry about the false alarm. I had it confused with the date on the top of the article and I noticed that it displayed today's date. Sorry Colo, my fault bud.
14 years 8 months ago #20

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Target National Bank - Card Selloff?

Jesus, oh well cardholders, I would make sure I check my mail everyday...lolz! Thanks for the info hjm331, I never knew this.
14 years 8 months ago #21

The article in the link I provided was posted today.

Oh I see it now. On the article itself by the author it had:
by Burney Simpson
insideARM
May 6, 2008
So that is what I was looking at first.
14 years 8 months ago #22

Replied by charonh on topic Re: Target National Bank - Card Selloff?

Thanks so much for this info hjm331. I will be paying mine off this month, because I refuse to deal with Chase for anymore cards as a result of acquisition. What gets me is that Chase doesn't deal with sub prime borrowers, yet they buy Wamu and now this. Wamu, it made sense because of the bank branches they acquired, but Target, huh with their large share of sub prime cardholders. In Georgia, all of the old Wamu signs have been officially changed to Chase. ColoNative, you're right, there are a lot of Chase haters out here, myself being one.:upset:
14 years 8 months ago #23

The article in the link I provided was posted today.
14 years 8 months ago #24

Some of those articles are from last year. I know they were thinking about it, but did they really do it? I know there are some Chase haters out there, but I would rather have Chase then GEMB or HSBC handle the card. I wish retailers had their own cards still, these banks really don't seem to care about customer service.

Macy's and Best Buy used to have a dualty card issuer, very strange.
14 years 8 months ago #25

14 years 8 months ago #26

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Target National Bank - Card Selloff?

Chase? :confused: :confused:
14 years 8 months ago #27

Replied by eugene66 on topic Re: Target National Bank - Card Selloff?

We now know who the buyer is (Chase) and how has that transaction benefited cardholders .....
14 years 8 months ago #28

Replied by Meya on topic Psssst, whatever, the city people

Psssst, whatever, the city people wil knock you down over a 5% coupon...lol. A discount is a discount regardless to what. Mines expired too, but I was able to get it back from the department store manager.
16 years 2 weeks ago #29

Replied by lyyssa01 on topic That 10% coupon has an

That 10% coupon has an expiration has well. I got the coupon once when I had the card, but never got the chance to use it as the coupon expired before we went to Target. Which the expiration isn't a big deal for you big city folks, but for us rural bumpkins we're SOL. :scared:
16 years 2 weeks ago #30