Tent Cities

Replied by CentsibleSaver on topic Re: Tent Cities

A lot of folks don't qualify for government aid, no matter how poor they are. Budgets have been cut to the bare bones and will mostly help young children, pregnant women, and those on disability. The elderly are often left out and they struggle to find jobs in our new economy. It's sad the article was written in 2009 and not much has changed since then.

It's easier to procure food than it is housing. Churches have food pantries you can visit. Non-profits do too. I've seen people starting gardens in tent cities as well.
6 years 9 months ago #1

Replied by Lexie on topic Re: Tent Cities

Tent cities are still alive and thriving across America. Sad but true. Some prefer to live in tents as opposed to receiving government help because of the hassle of paperwork, questions, information etc. To find oneself in that kind of situation must be really scary.
6 years 9 months ago #2

Replied by Curry on topic Re: Tent Cities

If they live out in the country they probably kill their dinner or go to town a few times a month to stock up through their government assistance. Part of that stocking up would probably involve propane so they can cook their food. Like a camping trip with no return date.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Curry.
7 years 8 months ago #3

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Re: Tent Cities

I couldn't imagine being in that situation by myself let alone with children. If these people can't afford housing, how are they arranging for food and other basic needs? It's very sad and scary.
7 years 9 months ago #4

Replied by patse on topic Re: Tent Cities

Breakinger wrote: I remember seeing this on the news a few years ago. It was so sad to see that most of these people had homes and good paying jobs one day and the next they were forced to live like this. Does anyone know if this is still a really big problem now that the economy has somewhat picked back up?

I wonder too. I remember reading about this a few yeas ago. I guess out of sight, out of mind. I hope things are better for those people that lost their jobs and homes.
7 years 9 months ago #5

Replied by Moneyes on topic Tent cities

Out where I live there are a lot of national forests. One of them is known to have a tent"city" out there. This is out in the wilderness in a part of the country that can get quite cold in the winter. Families with children live out there.
7 years 9 months ago #6

Replied by Cents on topic Tent cities

I remember hearing about this several years ago. It reminded me of what so many people went through during the Depression. It's downright frightening to see how easily lives can be turned upside down.
8 years 1 month ago #7

Replied by FrankN on topic Re: Tent Cities

This is very sad to hear, and I was actually unaware of this. I had not seen this in the media too much. I would also like to contribute to charities that service these people. Do you have any recommendations?
8 years 1 month ago #8

Replied by Egghead on topic Re: Tent Cities

I know there were still a lot around last year because I contributed to several charity drives organized to provide basic items for the people living in them. I heard that some local authorities are allowing the residents to build more permanent structures.
8 years 1 month ago #9

Replied by Breakinger on topic Re: Tent Cities

I remember seeing this on the news a few years ago. It was so sad to see that most of these people had homes and good paying jobs one day and the next they were forced to live like this. Does anyone know if this is still a really big problem now that the economy has somewhat picked back up?
8 years 1 month ago #10

Replied by MsKiwi on topic Re: Tent Cities

Very good, yet scary article]http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-05-04-new-homeless_N.htm[/URL]

Now I know the Stimulus Package is supposed to put people to work and I'm sure in your neighborhood or on your State's highways Road Projects are being started.

If your living in a Tent City, how do you apply for these jobs ? You have no address or phone number, correct ? Your qualified, but you have no way to the site because you lost your transportation because of a repo.

Your hiring for thee "ready to dig" projects and someone comes in and is qualified but because of no current address/phone number/transportation are they SOL ?

I saw a report on this on the news the other night. It sickens me that this is happening in the US.
14 years 10 months ago #11
  • smcc
  • smcc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

was created by smcc

Very good, yet scary article:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-05-04-new-homeless_N.htm

Now I know the Stimulus Package is supposed to put people to work and I'm sure in your neighborhood or on your State's highways Road Projects are being started.

If your living in a Tent City, how do you apply for these jobs ? You have no address or phone number, correct ? Your qualified, but you have no way to the site because you lost your transportation because of a repo.

Your hiring for thee "ready to dig" projects and someone comes in and is qualified but because of no current address/phone number/transportation are they SOL ?
14 years 10 months ago #12