If you default...

Replied by Joker on topic Student Loan Forgiveness

There is a plethora of information on the web about Student Loan Forgiveness that was put into law by Ex-President Obama. You need to jump on this band wagon sooner rather than later. If Trump has his way, no forgiveness will be given. Act before he can pass legislation to stop the forgiveness program.
6 years 8 months ago #1

Replied by richhall62 on topic Re: If you default...

Your best bet would be to contact an attorney, and explain your situation. They could better help explain the process to default it, or whatever is possible. Asking the lender themselves would get them curious, and would not turn out well.
13 years 2 months ago #2

Replied by nolabama on topic Re: If you default...

I woulda considered the cutting off of a limb at one point in my student loan history. I did not Default, however. Default on a student loan is nearly insurmountable.
13 years 5 months ago #3

Replied by Meya on topic Re: If you default...

The answer is an automatic "Yes!" Like everyone mention, the best thing to do is to call them and ask for a deferment or forbearance depending on her current situation. If you have a hardship, fax your proof and you will receive a response online. Make sure she clears this up with them because they will haunt her for the rest of her life and damage her credit report. They will only forgive you if:
1. You are deceased
2. Lost a major limb

I am pretty sure she is not going to consider cutting her leg or arm off for forgiveness...lol. jk!:laugh:
13 years 6 months ago #4

Replied by darkcredit on topic Re: If you default...

Yea def call them and ask for defer...with Sallie Mae they charge per loan..but just give them a call and find out there options. times i have been unemployed and defer and once I found a job they were able to start payments again and even lower them based on you income at times.
13 years 6 months ago #5

Replied by rwmtd on topic Re: If you default...

My sister has a pile of student loans that she cannot pay at the moment. If you default on student loans, will it hurt your future credit history? How long does it take for you to erase these types of loans off your history?

Hello Ergonomic, has your sister looked into getting her loans defered? I also have student loans and when I was unemployed I gave my student loan provider a call and let them know my situation and I was granted a deferment.

I would suggest that she contact her student loan provider and discuss her situation. The last thing she wants to happen and to let them go into default. Default is very serious and they can garnish your pay check not to mention the effect on your credit scores.
13 years 7 months ago #6

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: If you default...

My sister has a pile of student loans that she cannot pay at the moment. If you default on student loans, will it hurt your future credit history? How long does it take for you to erase these types of loans off your history?

The answer is likely yes. Terms of the loan govern but, it would be similar to other loans not paid on time. Yes, it will more than likely would show up in the credit bureau. Not paying is trouble. Your sister may want to seriously seek a professional attorney with expertise in the area. The after shock will affect her for many years. This may not be the time to "do-it-yourself". Sort of like a bankruptcy, foreclosure, short sale and so on ooh and collections along with judgements really can sink the credit ship.:worried:
13 years 7 months ago #7
  • Ergonomic
  • Ergonomic's Avatar Topic Author

was created by Ergonomic

13 years 7 months ago #8