Student Credit Cards

Replied by charonh on topic Re: Student Credit Cards

They find that information out through the NSLDS (Clearinghouse). It sits there right before their eyes, have you used it? If not, here is the link https://www.studentclearinghouse.org/default.asp

If you school participates in this, your account is already linked up from the school. It is much easier for verification especially when we are applying for in school deferments. I had to apply for in school deferments this month because all of my loans started kicking in the moment I fell less than half time back in April 2008. All they did was put me on hold to verify the link above and they came right back with......"No problem, ignore the late payments that will arrive while we finish your request." Now they have it where if you wait til the last minute to clear something up, even if you did qualify earlier and now, the loan department will not remove any negative items off of your report no matter how you dispute it.

Wow, I'm very familiar with this site, but I didn't think they would put forth that much effort, lol.
15 years 1 month ago #1

Replied by Brian23 on topic Re: Student Credit Cards

They find that information out through the NSLDS (Clearinghouse). It sits there right before their eyes, have you used it? If not, here is the link https://www.studentclearinghouse.org/default.asp

Wow! Everything is online these days. I just paid 2.50 to see if I popped up on that website and sure enough it had just about everything on their. That's pretty crazy...
15 years 1 month ago #2

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Student Credit Cards

Its true, the student cards I've applied for and obtained never made me send in any proof that I was a student.

If you school participates in this, your account is already linked up from the school. It is much easier for verification especially when we are applying for in school deferments. I had to apply for in school deferments this month because all of my loans started kicking in the moment I fell less than half time back in April 2008. All they did was put me on hold to verify the link above and they came right back with......"No problem, ignore the late payments that will arrive while we finish your request." Now they have it where if you wait til the last minute to clear something up, even if you did qualify earlier and now, the loan department will not remove any negative items off of your report no matter how you dispute it.
15 years 1 month ago #3

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Student Credit Cards

Then what's the point of them offering to college students?
15 years 1 month ago #4

Replied by charonh on topic Re: Student Credit Cards

Its true, the student cards I've applied for and obtained never made me send in any proof that I was a student.
15 years 1 month ago #5

I'm not sure if they actually check whether or not you attend the college you listed on your application but you to have some credit history because when my friend applied for it, he was denied and he didn't have any credit history.
15 years 1 month ago #6

Replied by cireone on topic Re: Student Credit Cards

Happylady, when I got my card, I didn't actually apply for it myself. My mother surprised me with this card because she told me she went into my local BofA branch and had her friend fill out the application who happens to be in charge of the credit card applications. Honestly, I don't know what she filled out in the application as to what school I will be attending. But, my first card was Capital One which I applied for myself and got it one month before the BofA Student Visa card. Here's the link to the one I applied, tell your son to give it a shot. If it doesn't work out, let him apply for the BofA secured Visa. It's a good deal and since you also have had experience with secured cards, it will be a lot easier on him. Isn't he lucky?

http://www.capitalone.com/creditcards/products/10415/2/index.php?linkid=WWW_Z_Z_tg01a_CCOMP_C1_03_T_CP41502[/URL]

Let me know what happens, good luck![/quote]

I work next to a bank branch and some of the workers there have a student visa credit card. Its the easiest to get so they say and that all you have to do is put down what college you go to (Even if you dont really go to one).
15 years 1 month ago #7

No problem!
15 years 1 month ago #8

Yeah, thanks for the help, Meya!
15 years 1 month ago #9

Is this spot cool enough for you hjm331? If not, let me know.
15 years 1 month ago #10

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Chevron Gas Card

I know that is off topic but I told my friend to apply for the BoA Student Visa last week and he did but got denied instantly. Yesterday, he received the 99/500 offer in the mail so I told him to write a check for $99, fill out and mail the application before they change their mind. :laugh:

He's had a checking account wih BoA for about a year, though. That might've helped him because I know how that offer is by invitation only.
15 years 1 month ago #11

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Chevron Gas Card

I told my friend to apply for it because he just turned 18 and wants to build credit ASAP. I will add him as an AU on my BoA Visa which will report some history on his reports and it will increase his chances of getting approved for a card of his own. Once he gets his hands on some new accounts to play with, I will remove him off my BoA account.
15 years 1 month ago #12

Replied by hjm331 on topic By the way, the Capital

By the way, the Capital One that I provided you the link of is an unsecured card, not secured.
15 years 11 months ago #13

Replied by hjm331 on topic No problem, you got it!

No problem, you got it! :cool:
15 years 11 months ago #14

Replied by happylady on topic hjm331, What a great mom you

hjm331,
What a great mom you have!! :cheesing: That's a great surprise, I'd like to do something like that for my son's grad present...hmmmm now you got me thinking!! :cool:
I have the Cap 1 card also...I got it in Jan 08 (5 months after BofA secured). I think I want to go with the Bofa secured cc 1st...let him manage that one well and then we'll see! :fun:
Thanks for the help! :cheesing:
15 years 11 months ago #15