How will Milleniums be able to get retirement account?

Replied by JacksonM on topic How will Milleniums be able to get retirement account?

I'd say it depends on the employer. A friend works for Phillips and receives matching for his 401k. Another friend of mine works for the county. She is eligible for state retirement but the rules were changed so she makes her own contribution each month, which she didn't do in the beginning. So yeah, it's definitely not as good as it used to be.

I don't recall all the details, but I do remember reading something about retirement following you from job to job. I think it was just a suggestion in order to help protect people and make work work better for them. I'll have to dig around and see if I can find the article.
6 years 6 months ago #16

Replied by JGibbs on topic How will Milleniums be able to get retirement account?

I don't think company retirement plans are an option anymore unless you work for a union or city/state governmental agency. The pensions that our grandparents and parents relied on are long over for the most part. I mean, 401ks exist, but few companies do any type of matching and some folks are leery after seeing many folks in the older generation lose their retirement funds when the economy crashed.
6 years 6 months ago #17
  • Joker
  • Joker's Avatar Topic Author

How will Milleniums be able to get retirement account? was created by Joker

Since most kids in that generation think that a long-term job is 2 years, then move up, how will they keep a retirement plan with a company. Do you think they should just do one separate from any company and miss out on the match or what?
6 years 6 months ago #18