gemb has reduced my credit card limit

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: gemb has reduced my credit card limit

GEMB - new credit bureau reporting technique... GEMB/JCP has been changing the credit bureau status ever time I have made a purchase or a payment. Changed twice since my statement cutoff reflecting a payment and then a new purchase. Can you believe that...?! I have been watching GEMB. Love JCPenney:dumbfounded: but not GEMB.
14 years 4 months ago #1

Replied by Meya on topic Re: gemb has reduced my credit card limit

6/17/2009
14 years 10 months ago #2

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: gemb has reduced my credit card limit

I hope that they don't touch my Lowe's card with a CL of $550.
15 years 5 months ago #3

I totally agree with you cireone!:white-flag:

Sometimes, I wonder if they are decreasing because of what they see on someones overall report. I am not targeting anyone because we all have downfalls, I am a witness. But if someone has paid late on another cc, applied for too much credit within one year, had a charge off that just reported from long time ago, or have util too high on other cards, some creditors might consider reducing your limit. It does not necessarily mean that just because you paid good on the cc that reduced you, we also agreed to that macro-mini that they can do so at will.

If GEMB or anyone else reduced my limit because of high util, I would be upset as heck, but at the same time, it would make me work harder to reduce my other debt and then I am coming back at them for my original amount that they took from me. Someone posted a letter in here in regards to GEMB stating why they reduced their debt, if you don't mind, could you please share why when the letter arrives. I think we need to put that point out too because it will then put others up on their p's and q's.

I remember times when creditors did not care, as long as you were doing good with them. Now they are targeting everyone for the wrong reasons. Amex is the main point, they are doing people wrong due to where they shop and reside. This is the worst case scenario!

PS, I am going to start a thread that states, "Why was your cc closed or limit decreased!" Maybe that will be better than everyone searching through the data base finding out our stories about this case. Cireone, do you mind if I merge your case over with it? If not, then I will gradually add all other's that I find when I see it.
15 years 5 months ago #4

Replied by cireone on topic Re: gemb has reduced my credit card limit

One thing I noticed about GEMB is that they are one of the biggest, if not the biggest, Retail Store credit card issuers and that not all cards are created equal just because they are issued by them. Old Navy, Gap and Banana Rep. are all under one company, have seperate cards issued by GEMB, but they all have different criteria for getting approved with certain starting CLs. Where as Dillards and American Eagle Outfitters may start you off at a low $100 CL, even though things cost starting nearly half that amount. As for the Chevron card, IDK why its so prevalent that they are targeting those cardholders, maybe they are freaking out at the customer base they took on with the handover and feel its worthy of creating some cushion. Im hoping they dont decrease my card though.
15 years 5 months ago #5

They hit pamela2 on her Dillards card :confused:
15 years 5 months ago #6

Replied by charonh on topic Re: gemb has reduced my credit card limit

I wonder why they (GEMB) appear to be only targeting the chevron card?
15 years 5 months ago #7

Replied by snicks on topic Re: gemb has reduced my credit card limit

I am not even going to try to figure out gemb. In the last month I received..
in this order

1. cl decrease on my
chevron card

2. credit limit increase on my Dillards card

3.care credit new account

4.Walmart card new account

5. pre-approved offer for jc penney. I have not and probably will not apply.

I also have an old navy card, american eagle and amazon that they have not touched.
I do not understand them... I use and pay both my chevron and dillards card approx the same amount.
why take away some of my credit from one card and give it to me on another? I never asked for a credit limit increase on the Dillards.

I guess it is not a biggie but it just seems funny for them to mess with my chevron card but yet increase another of my accounts, give me new accounts and then try to get me to apply for yet another card with a pre approval..all at the same time:fun:

who knows what next month will bring:shocked: They will do what they will do... I think the only card I feel secure with anymore is good old captial one! I know some people don't like cap one but they are my favorite bank to deal with. As long as I make my payments they take care of me with no drama!

Thanks to all of you here and the great advice on this site I feel confident enough about my credit not to let this stuff get me down!
15 years 5 months ago #8
  • eugene66
  • eugene66's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

Replied by eugene66 on topic Re: gemb has reduced my credit card limit

this is their response after i sent an email to customer service on the chevron website about the cld on my account:
Subject: Re: Chevron and Texaco Credit Card Account Information
Sent: October 27, 2008 06:30 PM EST

Customer Service Wrote:

Dear Online Customer,
Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding your Chevron Texaco credit card, and the opportunity to be of service to you.
Credit limits are determined by evaluating the creditworthiness of our customers.
Periodically, your account is reviewed to determine if your credit limit can be increased or decreased. If your credit limit is changed, you will be notified either by letter or by a message on your monthly billing statement.
Our records indicate that a letter explaining the recent change made to your limit was sent on October 20, 2008. You should receive it in the next 7-10 business days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
We appreciate you as a valued Chevron Texaco customer. If you have any questions or if we may be of further assistance, please contact us via the Online Message Center.
Sincerely,
G. Champigny
Customer Service
Account is owned by GE Money Bank - Member FDIC :upset:
15 years 5 months ago #9

Replied by KellBell on topic Re: gemb has reduced my credit card limit

I hope they don't lower my limits!!

Anyway, a friend of mine has an 808 FICO and the CL on her WaMu was automatically increased when Chase bought them out.
15 years 5 months ago #10
  • eugene66
  • eugene66's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Leader
  • Finance Leader

Replied by eugene66 on topic Re: gemb has reduced my credit card limit

I'm ok now but i think part of my frustration with gemb is that when they took over, they had given me a new account number and i lost almost a year of credit history because of the change when i looked at my credit report and now this.I just paid my balance off and will put the card in the closet :cool:
15 years 5 months ago #11

I'm also suggesting that nobody closes their accounts in good standing because history is always more important than CL. When the country digs itself out of the financial ditch that it is in, the banks will start opening business and those with long, consistent, and positive credit history will be the ones that get approved for the better credit products.
15 years 5 months ago #12

Meya you are so right, the best thing is not to panic or make any rash decisions, because after all they are just protecting themselves, which we can't blame them for. This too shall pass and when it does thanks to FG we all should still be in good shape. Members don't close your accounts, just sockdrawer them as Meya always suggests and the banks will begin to lighten up. I for one will be glad when that time comes.
15 years 5 months ago #13

Eugene66 maybe we don't have problems after all compared to your friend's dad. Let me stop complaining

Gotcha!
15 years 5 months ago #14

Eugene66 maybe we don't have problems after all compared to your friend's dad. Let me stop complaining.:dumbfounded:
15 years 5 months ago #15