Federally Insured Deposits Increased to $250,000

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Federally Insured Deposits Increased to $250,000

Well, even though I never fell into the $250k secured funds in the first place, just thought I would update this to let everyone know that Dec 31 is almost here and that is when it will go back to $100k. :worried:
I think that is dumb, why increase it for a short time in the first place?
15 years 4 months ago #1

Replied by KIEJON9 on topic A Message from Altura Credit Union About the Safety of Your Money

A Message from Altura Credit Union About the Safety of Your Money
With recent media coverage about jitters in financial markets, Altura Credit Union wanted to take this opportunity to answer questions about the safety of your money in Altura accounts.

Are my funds at Altura safe?
Yes. Your money is insured by the full faith and credit of the U.S. Government through the National Credit Union Administration and its National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund (NCUSIF). Similar to the FDIC for banks, the NCUSIF provides all Altura members with $250,000 in coverage for their individual share accounts. Additionally, Altura offers private insurance on share certificates up to $50,000 through American Share Insurance (ASI).

Are all my Altura accounts covered by NCUSIF insurance?
For individuals, funds in the following accounts that total $250,000 or less are covered]What is the coverage on Individual Retirement Accounts?[/B]
Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs) are insured up to $250,000. However, IRA share certificates are insured an additional $50,000 from ASI.

What coverage is available for Trust Accounts?
Trust Accounts or Pay on Death accounts are insured up to $250,000 for each beneficiary relationship. As an example, a Trust Account with one trustee and two beneficiaries will be insured up to $500,000. Note]What options are available to me to diversify funds to be sure I don’t exceed the limits of insurance coverage?[/B]
If you are concerned that you have funds on deposit that exceed the limits of the NCUSIF, please stop in at any one of our 13 branches and speak to a branch manager. They’ll be happy to assist you.

How secure is Altura?
Altura has a 50-year history of serving the financial needs of its members in the Inland Empire. Over the past decade, Altura has strategically expanded to better serve members with financial services and products. Altura is backed by assets close to $1 billion. In addition, Altura never strayed from its traditional lending philosophy.

How does the local economy affect Altura?
The downturn in the economy is providing challenges for everyone – from individuals to families to businesses. However, Altura is in a strong financial position and in no danger of going out of business. Because of our conservative lending practices, we have not experienced the problems that other lenders have in recent months. In addition, we have adequate reserves to help us ride out the tough times.
15 years 5 months ago #2
  • marylan73
  • marylan73's Avatar Topic Author
  • Blogger & Researcher
  • Blogger & Researcher

Replied by marylan73 on topic Re: Federally Insured Deposits Increased to $250,000

Yes, the EESA of 2008, signed into law on Oct 3, temporarily raises the insured deposit amount for federally-insured financial institutions, including both FDIC and NCUA. December 31, 2009, it will go back to $100K, expect for retirement accounts which will remain at $250K.
15 years 6 months ago #3

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Federally Insured Deposits Increased to $250,000

I noticed that the NCUA insures deposits accounts up to $250k. Did they recently announce this or have they been doing it for a while? I believe FDIC made this move because consumers started feeling safer with credit unions and started withdrawing their funds from their checking accounts and depositing them to their CU checking accounts. By doing this, the FDIC is trying to make the consumers feel safe again by keeping their funds with the banks and not just the credit unions.
15 years 6 months ago #4
  • marylan73
  • marylan73's Avatar Topic Author
  • Blogger & Researcher
  • Blogger & Researcher